Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 08:07   #1

SoCal to Mexico: liveaboard & sailling

New to the forum. Seasoned sailor currently living in Marina Del Rey (Los Angeles). Own a 1979 30ft Catalina. I'm not from the USA but living here at the moment on a business visa which will expire early next year. I am originally from Australia.

Exploring liveaboard ideas in Mexico. Thinking of sailing down solo and staying somewhere like La Paz, Loreto or nearby... Can explore when I get there. My business allows me to do this but I would like to be able to come up here to LA a few times a year for clients - possibly sail or quick flight up?.

Curious. Any folk sail to & from these locations from SoCal & Mexico annually. Experiences and prices for living aboard in Mexico. Experiences sailing solo in Mexico waters? Experiences occsssionally picking up a crew member to fill the void on rougher trips?

Also, what happens at the Mexico & USA border when sailing? Can I just come in/out on ESTA visa for those expats who might be reading this?

And finally, have a rockstar french bulldog who loves sailing and has traveled the world with me. Experiences from dog owners living aboard in Mexico also?

Thanks community. Hope to see some of you out there
CaptainSonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 08:17   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SoCal to Mexico: liveaboard & sailling

many folks do the commute/migration between various mexican cities/pueblas and usa.
depending on where you settle, driving your car is an option, flying is an option, taking the bus is an option. however, no pets on buses any more. (dogs in hard carriers ride under the bus, in cargo hold--you can hear em crying the entire trip)
to bring into mexico a car is a hoop jump. not so difficult with boat.
if you plan on relocating all your worldly goods to mexico, you need to research the requirements--mexican consulate will help you. they are in san diego near laurel street moorings--just up the hill, grape street--short walk. google it fro details. there may now be a way to do this online. i am already here and rules changed with new administration in 2012.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:02   #3

No goods to bring apart from my boat . Travel light. What is a realistic schedule for sailing from SoCal to these locations? And back? Have you sailed solo down there? Not talking about hard sailing. Just mainsail & some engine action when necessary.

Is it easy to liveaboard down there? Marinas? Mournings? Pricing? Waitlist?
CaptainSonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:44   #4

la to sd--20 hours or so, sd to ensenada 16-20 hours or so... ensenada south--fuel is only issue-- not many stops available despite awesome anchorages for sleeping overnight. san quintin is only 5.5 ft depth at inlet.. use accordingly..
charlies charts are good cruising guides.
i went only for fuel into cabo--they also charge a 17 percent dock fee for fuel purchases. oops.
check into mexico in ensenada. everything is there-- do the pre checkin stuff in san diego--there is a mexican consulate there, close to the cruisers anchorage. you must get permission to anchor ffrom the police at municipal docks on shelter island, aka cop docks when you enter sd bay.
back--it is easier to keep boat in mexico and drive or fly back when necessary. the bash is not always fun.
and do watch your weather window closely.
even remaining in ensenada the sail north is 20 hours uphill....
Old 20-09-2016, 10:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

There are so many people doing exactly what you are looking to do out of Baja that it's almost like asking if you can get a cheeseburger at McDonald's.
A bus to La Paz from Tijuana is $99 and takes 24hrs.
A flight from Tijuana to La Paz is $120 and takes 2hrs.

Internet and phone in La Paz is as good as your internet/phone in Marina del Rey. You can either anchor out for FREE in La Paz or pay the same or not MORE than you are paying now in MDR.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:52   #6

Boat: PDQ 36

I'm relocating to San Carlos, Mexico. Sail in the Sea of Cortez, reasonable bus ride to Tucson, or Phoenix. 4 hour drive to the US border, reasonable slip rates. If you're looking for a flotilla to come south, check out the Baja Ha Ha. Although I believe it's leaving pretty soon to come south, October, IIRC.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:07   #7

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It is the easiest thing you will ever do. I cannot believe it took me so long to get around to it. It is on a par with the day I realized I had wasted so many years raising children when I could have been raising Labrador Retrievers. When you get there the biggest hassle will be which bus goes where when you want to stock up occasionally at a Costco or Walmart, which will get fewer and farther between as you find farmers markets and such. Don't over think it. We will maybe see you there, good sailing, David and Holli and Jimi and Pinka
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:11   #8

Boat: Montgomery 23

Consider buying dog food in Mexico. We've had no problem with pets, but a squabble between USA and Mexico over pet foods means that Mexico will usually not allow U.S. made products into the country as U.S will not let Mex. pet foods in. Take enough to get you to Ensenada and consider stocking up there. Your $200 o IAMS might not make it!
Cheers, Robert.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:17   #9

pet food in mexico is much more common to find than is cat food. pedigree is everywhere and that one with the cute gogggie face on it--wet food-- and chow. pedigree and chow are commonplace dog foods and easily found in bulk.
look for cat food or cat litter--you get a weird facial expression and they ask in spanish why the cat not doing it s job of using outdoor toilet and hunting critters--muchos ratones in mexico , muchos pajaros. why feed cat.. oh boy.
dogs in mexico guard. cats hunt. guards get fed, hunters best eat their kill.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:55   #10

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSonny View Post
Exploring liveaboard ideas in Mexico. Thinking of sailing down solo and staying somewhere like La Paz, Loreto or nearby...
Having been to both La Paz and Loreto, I would select La Paz for a more permanent liveaboard location. Everything in La Paz is within walking distance and getting a bus from the La Paz malecon (boardwalk) to the airport in Cabo is easy. EcoBajaTours

The nearest mooring/anchorage or dock space to Loreto is in Puerto Escondito. Both internet and phone service is spotty in Puerto Escondido. Traveling to Loreto or the Loreto Airport requires a rental car. No bus service.

The city of Loreto has an anchorage that is completely unprotected from the sea. Getting to shore by dingy is possible, but it can get really wet. And no internet there unless you take your computer into town. In a plastic bag.

Quote:
Can explore when I get there. My business allows me to do this but I would like to be able to come up here to LA a few times a year for clients - possibly sail or quick flight up?
Ha! Take a look at a map! Flying is much, much quicker than trying to sail around Baja and back up. Alaska Airlines flies non-stop to LA from both locations for around $300 USD (or less) round trip.

Quote:
Curious. Any folk sail to and from these locations from So Cal & Mexico annually.
Most people sail "to" Mexico from southern California. It's call the Baja Bash for people who take the weeks needed to sail back.

Quote:
Experiences and prices for living aboard in Mexico. Experiences sailing solo in Mexico waters? Experiences occasionally picking up a crew member to fill the void on rougher trips?
Prices for Marina Cortez in La Paz for our 40' boat last year was $480 USD per month. According to their website, it is now almost $700 USD. WOW. (Guess we will be staying at anchor in the harbor for 15 peso per day.) http://www.marinacortez.com/ Water and electricity are metered and cost additional.

Marina La Paz is also expnsive. Marina de La Paz - Full Service Downtown

Be sure to equip your boat with a wifi booster. You will be amazed how well you can pick up the marina's or restaurant's wifi signals. Without one, you'll have to go to shore. Bitstorm Online

Quote:
Also, what happens at the Mexico and USA border when sailing? Can I just come in/out on ESTA visa for those expats who might be reading this?
Check out Lattitude 38 First Timer's Guide to Mexico. Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas That will explain everything you need to do for you and the boat. And your bulldog.

You will need a tourist visa, which allows you to stay in the county for 6 months. You can get this when you check into Ensenada. We checked in at Cruiseport Village Marina. The harbor master can help you with the process.

At the end of six months, you will need to fly, bus, drive, sail, walk?(lol) out of Mexico and then come back in. The airline will issue you a new tourist visa as part of your plane ticket.

You will love Mexico. I can see how people get stuck here.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:17   #11

to those yet to leave sea of cortez for exploration of the rest of mexico-- the rest of mexico, in tropics south of mazatlan, is a lot different from soc and baja, which is essentially southern california, desert, gringos, and impressively beautiful ground cover flowers.
there is a much different lifestyle in mainland mexico. winter climate is also different in states more south. i noticed this long ago when i was travelling baja and san felipe in a camper and by car.
i prefer tropical mexico to desert mexico.
Old 23-09-2016, 18:17   #12

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I have had my catamaran in San Felipe, Baja California at the FONATUR marina since may 2015. It is only 3 hours from the US border at Calexico. Look it up in a map. It is at the north end of Mar de Cortez on the Baja coast. A bus will take you to and from the border. You can obtain your 6 month VISA at the border crossing in Mexicali later on. The whole Sea of Cortez is at your feet! The sail south from LA is the easy one. Get your TIP (temporary import permit ) in Ensenada. It is good for 10 years. It costs around $50.00. Getting someone to do it for you may cost a little, but they know the ropes. You can obtain the first 6 month VISA there. The Mar de Cortez is great. Baja coast on the west and mainland Mexico to the east. The best of two worlds.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 22:58   #13

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

[QUOTE=fuentes;2219969]I have had my catamaran in San Felipe, Baja California at the FONATUR marina since may 2015.[/QUOTE

Hi Fuentes...first I've heard of this yard in S.F., is it full service? Travel lift, boat ramp, dry storage??? Curious what the slip fees are...

cheers
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:54   #14

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

[QUOTE=windhorze;2230166][QUOTE=fuentes;2219969]I have had my catamaran in San Felipe, Baja California at the FONATUR marina since may 2015.[/QUOTE

Windhorze,
There is no yard or lift for large boats. There are boat ramps, dry storage places to keep boats if small enough to haul on a trailer . It is a marina. Very secure and safe (I am surrounded by Mexican navy rescue and regular navy boats ) plus 24 hr. watchman.
My boat is a 45 ft. catamaran and pay six months at a time (discount if you pay this way) $32,479.02 pesos approximately (depends on exchange rate-$19.00/dollar now) $1,709.42 US dollars for 6 months ($284.90/month) plus water and electric. It is metered but very inexpensive.
Let me know if you need further invormation. Have a nice day. Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:27   #15

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Fuentes, that's good to know...interesting that there doesn't look like any new development on Google Maps...must be really new...??? Sound's like a nice option for us west coasters...as San Carlos or Puerto Escondido are a long haul...plus, I just love the northern sea...area around the Enchanted Islands and Bahia de Los Angeles are awesome...
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, liveaboard, Mexico, sail