Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2014, 14:46   #16

Re: So Whats Your Heating Costs

Here in Juneau the harbor charges $160 for 30 amp and $300 for 50 amp service. My friend who lives on a 28' Tolly says that 2 1500 watt heaters isn't enough for his boat when it gets cold.
2 gallons a day is a good estimate for diesel fuel in an oil stove. Most boats use the Dickinson brand oil stoves which use between 1.3 and 3.2 gallons per day. 2 is a fair average. That comes to $250 a month
When it gets cold there is no way a single heater is going to keep a boat warm. So I think 2 to 3 hundred per month is about right. The ideal way to go is pay for 20 amp service at $120 a month and then run the oil heat as needed.

Coastal_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:13   #17

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We heat by diesel so I can tell you how many gallons by month on average we use:
October -40, November - 60, December - 80, January - 100, February 80, April 60, May 50.

We use about 400 to 500 gallons during the winter months in the Seattle area. The Eagle is 58 ft and the Webasto diesel boiler keeps the living area/space and the engine room at 65 to 70 degrees. The bilge and engine room are bone dry. 50 amps, 120 volts will not heat a 58 ft boat, 600 square ft. Average 500 gallons X 4.00/gallon = $2,000/ 7 is about $275.00 per month.

rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:17   #18

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

I also heat by diesel using an Espar D5L air heater.
In Seattle.
Earendel is 48 feet sailing vessel with 12mm of foam over grp.
Can't speak for the use profile but I used 80 gallons till the beginning of Feb, and expect to use another 30 to do out the heating season.
My electric usage is so small my marina stopped charging me!
My system preferentially uses wind and solar to charge the batteries and we seem to generate enough to electrically heat the hot water I use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
S/V Earendel
Wauquiez Centurion 47
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:29   #19

Boat: 40' sailboat

Yikes! Just got our electric bill. $610 for the period 12/31-02/20 including $20 "meter reading" fee from the marina. 40 footer, New York Harbor, winter cover, mid-level insulation, combined total 1900 watts of electric space heaters.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:44   #20

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

In the UK & Ireland a lot of new builds are using expanded polyurethane sprayed on the interior of the hull down to the waterline before fit out with very good results for hull stiffness, sound/vibration transmission and insulation all leading to a much more comfortable boat to live-aboard The initial outlay is recouped many times over during the boats lifetime.
I just need to win the damn lotto to buy me a new boat !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 10:53   #21

Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have been looking over my heating costs for the past two winters and for a thirty two foot, fairly well insulated tight boat my heating costs are running around $300.00 per month, this is a combination of diesel and electric heaters. Usually I have been closing off the forward Focsle and just heating the saloon and engine space. I am thinking the cost of heat for a small boat is very high and would love to hear from others who live in very cold temperatures as to what they think their costs are to heat their vessel.
We have a COlvic Watson 32 insulated for the Artic we have a webasto 3500 diesel heater. last winter we keept the boat inside at 20dg C and the out side dropped to a low of -4 our total cost to keep this temp ws 185 euros

feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: