Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09   #61

Boat: Freedom 32'
Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Zee - I can't imagine being without book books. I imagine I'll go over to Kindle just because they take up so much room and if I like em I can't give em away.
I just picked up a book from the marina exchange yesterday. "The Iliad of Homer". Have to laugh, they couldn't get me to read it in high school, or in college. I just can't imagine falling asleep with a kindle in my hands like I do with a book every night.
You will and you will love it!
Maybe you could get him interested in puzzles, or writing his life story. Not to publish but just to write. It's amazing what you find out about yourself while writing. Also a form of meditation if one isn't too tired at night. I have to do it in the early morn.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:19   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Its a polite way to say he's masterbating.
LOL, OK. I polished mine down to a nub. Now what?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:21   #63

Re: So What Do You Do At Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I got so depressed with working all the time and drinking .I abandoned my 41" at Honolulu. and went in to a downward spiral 3 years in the gutter then 3 yrs. incarcerated. Now I have 11 yrs. in Recovery and a much nicer boat. 12 step programs are not only for drug and alcohol addicts but for people like me who have an obsession for things like power, wealth, honor and especially pleasure. I pray my "Higher Power" protect me from becoming obsessed with my boat and work. He keeps me occupied. My boat has become my sacred space .I can stay out alone for weeks at a time and never get bored. In town I need to find ways to volunteer service and there are meetings in almost every town. They are not all full of convicts and heroin addicts. I can always meet people like me who just need a higher purpose. I hope nobody thinks I'm an ass but I just couldn't take it anymore.
Welcome back to reality. I stopped all of my stuff 30 years ago and now enjoy life as it is meant to be enjoyed..
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:31   #64

I get dressed up all in black, use a black dinghy and zip around the harbor.

When I see an outboard I like, I cut it off and toss it in the dinghy with the rest.

Then I get my Craig's list ads up and turn in for the night.

Nah, but the subject of the thread sounded a little nefarious to me.

I guess letting your mind wander is another thing to do at night
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:11   #65

Boat: Liberty 458

I can't remember asking that question very often. I recommend you take a week off and anchor somewhere far from the city lights and see what happens. Just try out the whole idea of being off the grid. We did that numerous times before we ever set out cruising. I think you will either discover that the question does not matter, or your will discover that cruising is a bad idea for you. It certainly isn't for everyone.

Katherine Harms
S/V No Boundaries
qatharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22   #66

If you have a Kindle, go to BookBub.com and sign up. Lot's of free books. Some are better than others and you will get a lot of book 1 of a many, many book series, but it is an easy way to fill up a Kindle for cheap.

Have Fun,
Doug.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:23   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Its a polite way to say he's masterbating.
If you were not using Braille you would see..
The 'He' is a 'She'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:26   #68

Boat: Catalina 387

Anybody yet mention prolonged contact with a willing partner 'till it winds down into languorous cuddling?

Or fix the boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:54   #69
CLOD

Boat: none

Unless one is sailing around in one of those floating tent type boats there isn't any reason other than money that you can not do the same things on the boat that you do now.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:54   #70

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Why sans TV? You can pick up a small HDTV flat screen 19" Element (brand) which can operate from 12v DC and very low current (2A +/-) for abt $99 (Walmart). Then pick up either a flat TV antenna or if you want to splurge... mount one of the frisbee (flat, round) type marine antennas up near top of your mast (Higher the better). The Shakesphere 2030 (biggest on the market) I've found works the best.

Don't know where you are, but traveling up/ down ICW its hard to find a place where you can't most of the five major networks... and these days each DTV station also simultaneously transmits three or four other embedded digital tv signals... usually old TV sitcoms and usually one per area uses one of its additional formats for 24/ 7 local/ national repeating weather channel updating 2-3 times a day which is very handy for us sailors. All of these available signals usually adds up to between 24 to 60 (when near bigger cities) viewing options. OK, I know this doesn't match the variety/ high end quality programming/ educational programming you can stream via Internet... but cruising you usually don't have reliable access to Internet. And all this TV is free, except for your TV & antenna. Back to power... even nearly the smallest solar panel would power/ top-off the entire previous evening's prime time viewing in just a few hours of sunlight charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:08   #71

Boat: Victoire 1122

I've been "talking" to my wife. After that a deep sleep came on.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:10   #72

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its an addiction introduced by DOJ...

HA, why yes, yes it is..........
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16   #73

Boat: Bayfield 40

Trust me, there's always something!
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:25   #74

I spent 5 months living onboard alone last summer. I had a 4TB portable drive unit full of movies and TV series. I also had a kindle onboard. I also had 3 bottles of Scotch.

I hardly watched anything on the computer and never even started the kindle and the Scotch remained unopen.

Had a great time.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01   #75

Watch systems for couples is not usually discussed. In 20 years of live aboard cruising, my wife and I split the night into two 6 hour watches during long passages. The most exhausting trips were over night coast-wise passages. Started the 6 hour pattern when a sailing M.D. told us that without 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep will eventually result in hallucinating. We discovered that 6 hour watches allowed for normal, enjoyable daylight activities. Very, very rarely did we have to wake up the off watch partner. Enjoy. Your'e going to have the best time of your lives.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote