Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2016, 15:43   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: So What Do You Do At Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Don't you old people going to bed so early get to the point you just wake up early? Still the same number of hours to fill.
Yes! I usually sleep 9-to-5! .....and then from 5 to 7 I'm having coffee and looking at the Cruisers Forum.

Hey, That's the answer to how I spend my extra time,- Here I am!

Old 10-03-2016, 15:44   #32

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Your boat is clearly more reliable than mine is. My hat is off to you.
Heh. I just haven't figured out how to fix everything that needs it. Or where to store all the damn tools I ... So I just let it go until next time I see a dock

Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 16:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We mostly study, read and write and follow stuff via the web. Three times a week we run short 5 to 10 mile runs. Now and then we do the things adults will do, but this hardly ever all night: we are getting older now and we tend to fall asleep before the sun is up.

During the carnaval we mostly dance and sing and we drink a bit too - mostly rhum especially when we are on the Caribbean side. We can get a bit silly and then we will shoot at the beer cans left by the young on the wharf. The gendarme doesn't like our rhum games and may come by and confiscate our guns. He will return them next afternoon but we must row ashore to get them.

When we are not learning or reading or doing the other mentioned things, we may be poaching the eels or doing other things that require darkness. Like developing old style B&W films. Etc.

We never get bored and we never notice when we fall asleep. Life is good.

b.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:23   #34

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We just do what we do at home. Tend to do less due to other boaty distractions. Surf the net, read ebooks, listen to music, and watch the odd movie. A single USB hard drive will heaps of ripped movies, music, e-books, pictures and more. Doesn't really consume that much power in the scheme of things if you choose the equipment with energy efficiency in mind.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:55   #35

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Kind of OT, but whyyyyyy do people stream on public wifi?
No wonder wifi usually s*cks
The exact reason I keep my hot-spot on my phone. Very rarely will a public wifi outperform it, unless I'm in an area with zero coverage, at least around my areas.
Old 10-03-2016, 17:08   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Not saying.

S/V B'Shert
Old 10-03-2016, 17:32   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I am certainly not here writing a post.

Old 10-03-2016, 17:54   #38
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We party, often invite people aboard or on the docks and play music, drink something nice, cook good meals, play more music or even use a beamer to put concerts on 80" screen etc.
Old 10-03-2016, 18:23   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

If just wandering around anchoring we do all the same stuff we do at home -- read, watch a recorded tv show, rig the HD antenna to see if we can capture something else to record. Cook, read to each other, play our instruments and the biggie: fix things on the boat.

If really on the move sailing every day and setting anchor a new place every night we can be exhausted. Then it's just doing what's needed to make sure we're ready for the next day's sail.

It really depends on where you are though. When we did all summer in AK we found the long, long days led to getting up at 4-ish to retrieve the crab and prawn pots, cook up what was in the pots, get going, then at the new anchorage set the crab and prawn pots, check them in a couple hours, eat dinner and go to bed 10'ish or so as it had just got dark or was getting dark. Long, long days. We joked that we were spending all our time setting crab pots.

We tend NOT to watch too much in the way of movies or TV recordings because we like spending time together and talking about things. Reading to each other is a great past time for doing this.

Never bored that's for sure.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 18:35   #40
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We've been living aboard for a year at the dock. Assuming all goes well this summer we'll transition to traveling and anchoring. I admit I've been spoiled with WiFi, Netflix and a local library a mile's walk away. I don't fret about provisions or things to do all day long, but sans TV and a library, we're not really into board games, what do YOU do in the evenings? I'm a reader so I can get a Kindle, but my husband, not so much..............
Obviously, you are considerably younger than I am. When I was a child we didn't have kindle or Netflix, we didn't even have TV. We used to gather round the big console radio and listen to Jack Benny and Red Skelton. And yes, we played board games. On a real board.

Several people have mentioned it; get up at sunrise, go to bed at sundown. Boating should keep you occupied the rest of the time.

I will admit to watching TV if we get stations from our location and surfing the net. My wife reads (books) or plays games on her phone.
Old 10-03-2016, 18:49   #41

Boat: Beneteau First 42

After dinner and cleaning up, we enjoy an after dinner drink in the cockpit (unless its raining or worse), then make our log or journal entries, write our letters or notes for the day to friends and family (for up-loads in the AM after collecting weather reports/forecasts), sometimes watch the rest of the film we fell asleep watching the night before, read for awhile (if we can keep our eyes open that long) and call it a day/night. On the other hand we generally waken and start the day at 0500 or so and greet the rising sun in the cockpit (unless, again, its raining) while enjoying hot coffee and scones. Early to bed, early to rise....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 19:48   #42

Boat: Mid size sloop rigged

My wife likes to roll a left handed cigarette and watch the stars cruise across the skies.

Of course, not all countries are as permissive as Canada.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-03-2016, 20:11   #43

Learn to play the pressure cooker.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:25   #44

Boat: 1985 Mirage 27

The perfect answer, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Write a blog; recondition all the pumps, winches, windlass; make ships in a bottle; get a wifi booster; meditate; watch the shore to see if you are dragging (then do it some more); cook indian food the real way; swim; do yoga; fish; go up the mast to polish the main halyard shackle; make sushi; play poker; drink; do 100 push ups; keep a budget spreadsheet; watch sunsets; knit; make hatch covers; replace all the gaskets in the head; iron your sheets; do 100 burpees; invite guests; make cheese; make bread; change the oil; service the outboard; pump up the dinghy; walk 10 miles; run 6 miles; get a dog; invite the next boat over for dinner (indian food); do 100 crunches; volunteer; start back at the beginning.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:27   #45

Boat: 1971 grand banks 32'

Really boring guy. I was dreaming about designing cavity oscillators for satellite applications, low noise block down converters, and antenna systems....
I know, I am a nerd. I guess that having my ex call me last night and cry for an hour caused me to return to safe topics...

P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: