Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 15:11   #1

Smell in Head and Sink

We just boat a boat with 4 heads, all electric and all salt water flush. The head that I believe saw the most use with the previous owner has a oder problem. It is not connected to the holding tank so I know it is not a holding tank problem. It smells most of the time, especially when flushed. I know marine organisms will die in there so I flush it often, even when it is not being used in port. The same oder comes up through the sink when the sink is used. None of the other sinks or toilets have this problem. Any ideas on what could be the cause and how to get rid of it?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:17   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Smell in head and sink

Probably the hose has odor permeated in it, ugh. Try changing the hoses out. Also Peggie halls book is well worth the money.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 11-07-2013, 15:18   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

for the sink I shut the drain valve and pour a couple ounces of bleach in it and fill it up and let it sit a while

for the head I normally just pump a lot though it if it has been sitting a while

don't forget about the shower drain!
Old 11-07-2013, 15:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Probably the hose has odor permeated in it, ugh. Try changing the hoses out. Also Peggie halls book is well worth the money.

Cheers,
Erika
+1 Peggy is not only knowledgeable but also a great person.
I keep her book handy. Everything from waste systems to fresh water maintenance. I strongly recommend.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:03   #5

I will try your suggestions and get the book.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:13   #6

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler
Probably the easiest and cheapest way to take care of this is to fill head and sink w a quart of white vinegar and FRESH water and flush. Repeat this a couple of times. Hope this helps. Let me know.
Bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

If the odor comes from both the head and the sink I would suspect the salt water line from the seacock(s) to the devices. Not unusual, especially if a boat sits for a while, for stuff to start growing in there, and eventually die, and....

Only way to get rid of odor that comes from there is to disconnect the intake line from the seacock and pump a bunch of cleaning supply through the line. If I suggest bleach I'm sure someone will jump in and tell you that will destroy your head, if I suggest vinegar someone else will tell you that's not strong enough, etc. So choose your cleaning supply based on your comfort level. I put the end of the intake hose in a bucket, pump through enough material that I see/smell it in the head, let it sit in the lines for an hour or so, then pump a bunch more through, the finish with a clean water rinse.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
We just boat a boat with 4 heads, all electric and all salt water flush. The head that I believe saw the most use with the previous owner has a oder problem. It is not connected to the holding tank so I know it is not a holding tank problem. It smells most of the time, especially when flushed. I know marine organisms will die in there so I flush it often, even when it is not being used in port. The same oder comes up through the sink when the sink is used. None of the other sinks or toilets have this problem. Any ideas on what could be the cause and how to get rid of it?

Not plumbed to the holding tank? Where does it flush to? MSD I or II ? Or your location allows direct overboard discharge? Or...?

Some sinks have huge traps in the discharge line, and standing water in those traps can get odiferous every so often...

-Chris
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44   #9

Until you get the book, here are a lot fo comments by Peggie.

Head Odors 101 Head Odors 101 & Fresh Water to Head from the Sink in the Head FLIX

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain: Head Odors 101 & Fresh Water to Head from the Sink in the Head FLIX

Head Odors 101.2 The Difference between KO & Odorlos (scroll up to Reply #2) Odorlos / Raritan - SailboatOwners.com

Head Hoses 101 Head Hoses 101: Head Flushing/Hose trouble
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:50   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you're going to use bleach, add no more than a bottle cap's volume for each flush/wash. This small amount will not damage the intended area of cleaning. You can let a bottle's cap volume soak overnight too; afterwards, flush with water to cleanup any residue left.

Mauritz
Old 12-07-2013, 13:51   #11

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
We just went through a similar problem with the head smell. When we flushed,the smell would knock us over. We replaced the hose from the thru hull to the toilet. No more smells. Our dock neighbor says he occasionally pulls the hose from the thru hull and puts a small amount of bleach in the hose to kill the water critters. Since we just replaced our hose, we haven't tried that yet.

Steve and Gina
M/V Island Time
Cape Coral, Fl
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 14:25   #12

Do a search here for 'Peggie Hall' or 'Headmistress' I think was her username

she posted quite a few helpful posts before her 'retirement'
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 15:30   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
Probably the easiest and cheapest way to take care of this is to fill head and sink w a quart of white vinegar and FRESH water and flush. Repeat this a couple of times. Hope this helps. Let me know.
Yup, and then follow up with a capful of white vinegar every few weeks. Works wonders!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 17:03   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

go flush it thoroughly, not just 3 or 4 pumps. pass gallons thru there.

vinegar to clean

if that doesnt work--clean vent hoses--remove and sniff test em. if fail--replace

also make sure vent hoses are open not clogged
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 17:13   #15

probably time to change all hoses related to the head. The outlet hoses are probably saturated and crusted up inside .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head