Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:59   #1

Boat: Seaching for a small Trimaran to live aboard
Lightbulb Small Trimaran for Live Aboard (Suggestions and Tips)

Hi everybody,

I am very new to the sailing community but decided to invest some time now to reach one of my old time goals. I now that many people called it a “dream” but I rather call a goal because I want to reach it soon, so it sounds better that way. So please do feel offended if some of my questions or comments sound stupid, I am searching for knowledge.

But off course it is a “dream” life that I am looking for. I want to live aboard and sail. This is something that you “veteran sailors” must hear every day, but my GOAL has a little special touch. I want a small boat (as possible) so I can go to very low and non populated islands to dive (scuba and apnea).

I have been working on a trimaran everyday for the past 8 months and felt in love with it. That is way I am looking for some advices and tips from people that have experience and maybe one day started with a similar “dream or goal” as me.

My question is: What would be a good boat for me?

Some things that I am looking for:
· Trimaran
· Live aboard
· 2 person capacity
· Good boat for a novice sailor (Off course I am not going to cruise before I feel ready)
· 30 – 37´ (this was a suggestion that I got, but open for comments)
· Not for racing purpose
· Under US$ 30 K

I know that what I am looking is not something easy to find, but I am very committed to do it so any help from you would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help.
Breno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
For the amount of money you want to spend, you will either need to get an old trimaran that needs lots of work, or you will have to build a totally no frills trimaran from the keel up. Plywood and fiberglass will become your new best friend.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:07   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Trimarans are the hot, fast and bare-bones sailing boats for people who never get old or tired of the fast life. If that is your objective then you are looking in the right place. You can expect to live in a space where you can touch both walls with your hands at the same time. Comforts of life is an extremely variable subject. I have been friends with several "Tri" cruisers and they love speed and the ability to get into places conventional boats just cannot go. Beside boat speed they also go through women with the same speed.
- - Your best bet is to try and find a "tri" owner whose concept of speed has come down significantly with age and their idea of comfort has escalated to wanting some space and conveniences of the modern adult/mature world. The fun never ends on a Trimaran and it you can keep up, go for it. You can worry about all that "old-folks" stuff later.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14   #4

Boat: Seaching for a small Trimaran to live aboard
Thanks maxingout. I know it will not be easy, but maybe not impossible. I have to believe that there is one for me there.

osirissail, That is what I am looking for. Luxury and too much confort is not my priority, but going places and seeing underwater world that few have seen.

Can you give some thoughts on the ideal boat for me?

Thanks everybody for the help.
Breno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran