Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2016, 05:35   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Small Budget-Small Boat Liveaboard

I tried a search for posts about living aboard on smaller boats ... what, say 32 feet or smaller.

The considerations and costs are totally different than boats(sail or power), in the 35+ feet range and even moreso in the 40+feet range.
20-30 feet is generally a one-person habitat ... sometimes two ... rarely more.

I would imagine that almost anyone living on a smaller boat, has a smaller budget to work with and is much more cognizant of how quickly money disappears.

I'm on Social Security, PERS(very small pension), and VA non-service disability pension ... not quite dirt poor.

Discussions of liveaboard with a few posters, here and there, on smaller boats, intermingled with the seemingly vast majority of posters in 35-45 feet range.

It would be nice to have a thread, about small budget, small boat liveaboards without the larger budget, larger boat, posters populating the thread with postings that are not very useful to us cheap(out of necessity) boaters.

It's hard and discouraging to read 5 posts to read one post that can be related to.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:21   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Small Budget-Small Boat Liveaboard

I hear you. I liveaboard alone on my 30 footer but my partner stays overnight regularly without issue. I have standing head room despite being 6ft tall and couldn't be happier with my choice. If I won the lottery or bitcoin keeps increasing in value the way it has, I wouldn't get a bigger newer boat, I'd keep my Alberg but I would blow it on lots of equipment and a lavish cruising budget :-D

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

No offense at all to the Original poster at all here...but sometimes I wounder if these "Living aboard for Cheap on a small boat" threads are not clickbait. We seem to have 1-2 of them a week.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 11:07   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post

The considerations and costs are totally different than boats(sail or power), in the 35+ feet range and even moreso in the 40+feet range.
Respectfully, I don't think that's all that true. Whether you have a 25' or a 40', beyond slip fees and the occasional major purchase like rigging, new engine, sails..if you're prepping a boat for cruising you'll likely want much of the same stuff on the 25' as you would on the 40'. An AIS for instance, if you want it, costs the same regardless.

Sometimes I've even found myself willing to shell out more to make sure I get the most efficient, reliable and compact unit possible. A good example for me would be paying an absolute premium for a liferaft because I wanted to make sure I got a good one that was also compact and lightweight.

Obviously, YMMV, but I think personal needs and the desired cruise will have more of an impact on the costs. You certainly have to make more compromises on a small boat..space will be more of a limiting factor in determining what you really need onboard, and you'll be more inclined out of necessity to KISS.

But you can definitely spend a fortune either way, or do it "on the cheap".
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 11:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No offense at all to the Original poster at all here...but sometimes I wounder if these "Living aboard for Cheap on a small boat" threads are not clickbait. We seem to have 1-2 of them a week.
Rich I hate to say it as one who lives on a 24 fter on a limited budget I do have to agree with you on that one.
Old 23-07-2016, 11:37   #6

Quote:
hmmm ... no offense taken ... not much ...

But your remark, toward me appears stupid, somewhat nonsensical and in regard to the content of the OP, disjointed ... why would someone in a 50' sailboat, likely with a much larger budget, even make a posting to this thread? Unless you're "trolling".

Well ... thank you ... I've learned two new words(?) today ... "clickbait", and "troll" ... these words will certainly greatly aid me in any endeavors I may have. I am forever thankful to you for my learning two more totally insignificant internet words.

To think, that somehow, a simple posting about living aboard on some sort of smaller boat is ... on a smaller budget ... "Click Baiting" ... how in the %^*$%&^%$%&* does a posting about living on a smaller boat becomes "clickbaiting". Do you even know what "clickbaiting" is? I do, cause I had to look it up, and what I found makes no sense regarding the OP.

Sometimes, only "special people", understand things in such a certain special way.

I'd like to know the purpose for your stupid remark ... but I doubt there really is one ... or at the least ... a good one ...
Old 23-07-2016, 11:44   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

You should chill. There are a lot of posts like yours, lots.
To the point, how much money do you have to spend, now? You can get a nice boat for $35k and it wouldn't be to expensive to keep going.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 11:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I tried a search for posts about living aboard on smaller boats ... what, say 32 feet or smaller.

20-30 feet is generally a one-person habitat ... sometimes two ... rarely more.

I would imagine that almost anyone living on a smaller boat, has a smaller budget to work with and is much more cognizant of how quickly money disappears.

I'm on Social Security, PERS(very small pension), and VA non-service disability pension ... not quite dirt poor.

Discussions of liveaboard with a few posters, here and there, on smaller boats, intermingled with the seemingly vast majority of posters in 35-45 feet range.

It would be nice to have a thread, about small budget, small boat liveaboards without the larger budget, larger boat, posters populating the thread with postings that are not very useful to us cheap(out of necessity) boaters.

It's hard and discouraging to read 5 posts to read one post that can be related to.
I did a quick Google Custom Search of the CF archives using these terms together "liveaboard small boat" and found several threads discussing small boats for liveaboard. Here is the link to the search results. Look carefully at the threads on page 2 of this list. Some titles seem to fit your original question.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...oat&gsc.page=1

Good luck.

Also, there was a popular thread on cruising on a $500 budget that should have some useful info.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 12:08   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Says the guy with a non contributing post and 4 lines of advertising links. Geez.
Old 23-07-2016, 12:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'd like to know the purpose for your stupid remark ... but I doubt there really is one ... or at the least ... a good one ...
Oh it was a good contributing post...Some get it...some don't.
We can't help those that don't, but we wish them well and that their sense of humor matures as they make more posts to the forum. What we learned about SURV69 is that he goes on the attack pretty quickly when presented with something he is not sure about. He makes assumptions about people he doesn't know that turn out to be false. If he wants to get the most out of these Cruising Forums, my advice to him would be to learn to not jump so fast on people who encourage folks like him and support them...who was and IS one of them. Assumptions get people in trouble, close their mind and keep them from learning.

You can live like a king on a 26...30ft boat on a very limited budget. I've lived like a King on less than $1500 for a family of 4 for years in Mexico and now for about $2000/mo on a mooring (under the bridge budget for a family of 4) in California, where everyone will tell you it's impossible to do...ignore them and do it. It's rather easy if you don't listen to the naysayers...but your assumptions lead you astray...let go of them.

I think I have said that in all of the other literally dozens of almost exactly similar posts as the OP's question (Note "OP" means Original Poster...not some mysterious slang attack phrase). That's what I was referring to, this topic is like the "Blue water boat" threads...they are almost endless here on CF and on other boards. Click Bait happens all the time on Cruisers forum the Blue Water Boat threads and "Cruising budget" threads are well know to those of us that spend some time on the Forum. Click Bait in relation to it's use on Cruisers forum would be in naming the Thread title something that is bound to get "clicks" and traffic and pull all of the usual suspects into it just to see the train wreak arguments of "you can't do it" vs "yes you can". I'm always of course on the Yes you can do it...and DO IT NOW AMIGO side of the argument.

Last note...
When someone starts off their post with "No offense at all to the Original poster " that's typically a pretty good sign to not nut-up on them and get nasty. Especially when that person you get nasty with is a Huge Supporter of the Cheap Cruising and Living Aboard scene... Having cruised and lived aboard on a Small and now bigger boat I Do NOT see a big difference in cost, once you get out of the Slip Fee world. Valuable things to learn Amigo...if you will just listen and not knee jerk your mind closed.
Old 23-07-2016, 12:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Says the guy with a non contributing post and 4 lines of advertising links. Geez.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 13:49   #12

Quote:
Oh it was a good contributing post...Some get it...some don't.
We can't help those that don't, but we wish them well and that their sense of humor matures as they make more posts to the forum. What we learned about SURV69 is that he goes on the attack pretty quickly when presented with something he is not sure about. He makes assumptions about people he doesn't know that turn out to be false. If he wants to get the most out of these Cruising Forums, my advice to him would be to learn to not jump so fast on people who encourage folks like him and support them...who was and IS one of them. Assumptions get people in trouble, close their mind and keep them from learning.

You can live like a king on a 26...30ft boat on a very limited budget. I've lived like a King on less than $1500 for a family of 4 for years in Mexico and now for about $2000/mo on a mooring (under the bridge budget for a family of 4) in California, where everyone will tell you it's impossible to do...ignore them and do it. It's rather easy if you don't listen to the naysayers...but your assumptions lead you astray...let go of them.

I think I have said that in all of the other literally dozens of almost exactly similar posts as the OP's question (Note "OP" means Original Poster...not some mysterious slang attack phrase). That's what I was referring to, this topic is like the "Blue water boat" threads...they are almost endless here on CF and on other boards. Click Bait happens all the time on Cruisers forum the Blue Water Boat threads and "Cruising budget" threads are well know to those of us that spend some time on the Forum. Click Bait in relation to it's use on Cruisers forum would be in naming the Thread title something that is bound to get "clicks" and traffic and pull all of the usual suspects into it just to see the train wreak arguments of "you can't do it" vs "yes you can". I'm always of course on the Yes you can do it...and DO IT NOW AMIGO side of the argument.

Last note...
When someone starts off their post with "No offense at all to the Original poster " that's typically a pretty good sign to not nut-up on them and get nasty. Especially when that person you get nasty with is a Huge Supporter of the Cheap Cruising and Living Aboard scene... Having cruised and lived aboard on a Small and now bigger boat I Do NOT see a big difference in cost, once you get out of the Slip Fee world. Valuable things to learn Amigo...if you will just listen and not knee jerk your mind closed.
My goodness ... your use of "we" ... some sort of consortium here, or are you the spokesman for the forum?

When somebody starts out a conversation with "No offense, but ...", it usually means they intend to say something that can be expected to offend the person they're talking to ... it's a way to say something possibly offensive, but again, maybe not in a "offensive", way ... kinda like I didn't mean it.

Bottom line, is although your second post offers worthwhile information, your first post has no purpose whatsoever, except to possibly raise ire.
Old 23-07-2016, 14:08   #13

So, here we go again ... a poster(OP=original poster), posts a new thread(OP=original post), about something of interest ... to himself, and the thread ends up getting lost ... curiously by someone with a much, much larger boat(than what's being asked about), who evidently thinks the OP(original poster), might actually be drumming up some sort of internet business by clickbaiting other posters. When all he(OP) wants is to hear from others in a situation similar to his own, in an attempt to get more, more, more information.

Right now, this "clickbaiter", is trying to get the rest of his work done(hot, sunny and no breeze outside), so he can attempt 1/2 of the great circle(Lake Erie, New York Bargeway and south), on a smallish 29 feet Bristol, which is, BTW, part of my bucket list.

Right now, I work til I'm wet and then work in the boat until I'm dry before I go back out.
Old 23-07-2016, 14:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My goodness ... your use of "we" ... some sort of consortium here, or are you the spokesman for the forum?
Bottom line, is although your second post offers worthwhile information, your first post has no purpose whatsoever, except to possibly raise ire.
Spokesman for the forum...no not at all.
As a Supporting Vendor, I do donate $25/Mo to help the site and to toss a little scratch into the site owners pockets. Since I own and manage a few similar online forums, I know they are not free and require a lot of behind the scenes work. So I like to support those that support the greater cruising community. The use of "we" is a way to imply that others hold the same view as I do, since a few expressed it in this thread and generally to me on other threads, that explains the use of the term. It's also an old debate tactic to imply...well I can't give away all my tricks.

All my original post was intended to do was:
A) give a hint that this is a well posted about topic and some searching of older posts would turn up a treasure trove of information and
B) provide a little levity to the long time forum members that have seen this almost identical question all the time.

I've found over the years that successful forum use hinges on asking the right question in the right way, but also in not reading insult into other people's posts when usually none exists. Give people the benefit of the the doubt on them being stupid and the entire community gets along a whole lot better...can we all get in a group hug now...
(ok...that last line was my irresistible smart ass jokster nature escaping the cage....so laugh along with me...)
Old 23-07-2016, 14:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
who evidently thinks the OP(original poster), might actually be drumming up some sort of internet business by clickbaiting other posters.
The term "Click Bait" was defined in my above post, so you can continue to be insulted by not understanding or you can read what is clearly written and calm down...the choice is up to you. I'll even quote myself to save you the effort in scrolling up. As you can see, no one is implying you are a clickbaiter or selling something, except maybe entertainment.

Quote:
Click Bait in relation to it's use on Cruisers forum would be in naming the Thread title something that is bound to get "clicks" and traffic and pull all of the usual suspects into it just to see the train wreak arguments of "you can't do it" vs "yes you can". I'm always of course on the Yes you can do it...and DO IT NOW AMIGO side of the argument. .
Another advice point:
When complaining about your thread being dragged off topic, the best course of action is to STOP dragging it off topic yourself. Unless of course, as I do all the time in the MMGW threads, this is providing you with a much needed diversion from Boat projects. Like right now...my son is up working on cutting out the wet deck core and I've found this excuse of answering you back as a nice diversion.

Tags
budget, liveaboard