Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2016, 10:19   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Small boat. Is this a foolish idea?

From my observations, it's not the size of the boat that makes small boat cruisers fail, it's economics.
Let me explain, some people end up in small boats, cause that was all they could scrape together money wise, then go off and try to live on $500 a month, some make it, many don't.
But from what I have observed, it's the lack of funds and not the boat size that makes them fail, with $3,000 a month and one person, if you can't make it, its because you didn't want to.

Old 07-07-2016, 14:27   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RKO,

What barnakiel said. Lots of people have lived aboard boats smaller than that, and circumnavigated, so they worked out the water storage issues, but for you, as a retired person, you should give it a try and see how it goes for you.

Keep your faith with yourself. What's right for others need not be the same as for you.

Enjoy, go play with your boat, you'll not do it any younger.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure." .
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10   #18

Boat: O'Day 22

I agree with Ann

I, too, am living off a gov't pension and so far so good, so live your dream!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:12   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Knowing a little bit about your boat & hearing your circumstances I actually started getting excited for you! One of my favorite books is Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach. To paraphrase: The best boat to cruise in is the one you already have. One thing they stress is that saving up to get a big boat is the wrong approach. They cost too much to buy & way too much to maintain. Your boat will do just fine. Cheap to by since you already own it, much cheaper & easier to maintain than a big boat & totally functional for cruising Florida & the Bahamas. You could even take it up the ICW to Maine or do the Great Loop. Cuba & the Caribbean are also options, just watch the weather & practice good seamanship. This boat can handle more than you can. Bon voyage! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20   #20

Folks have lived on cal 20 sailboats; a Japanese sailor sailed back and forth from Japan to the US on one. Friend use to live on a PSC flicka 20'. Its not the size, its the attitude.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:28   #21

A few things that are must haves: A stout dodger & bimini, the sun is a killer. Refrigeration & solar cells to keep it running. I'd also get a PLB (there's a $50 rebate on the RescueLink+ right now). You might want to consider adding tankage for water, something you don't ever want to run out of. For a dinghy you'll need to be able to get it on the boat for offshore passages.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:33   #22

My wife and I are in process of "downsizing" to life aboard our 30' boat in order to spend a year traveling the Great Loop. Before any get to thinking that that is not doable in a small space for two, know that we have been full time RVers for the past six years living in anything Dom our present 39' class A to a 30' class C with no slides. We upgraded to larger thinking it would be more comfortable. Not so! As others have readily point out, your actual living space is quite small. Extra amenities most often lead to clutter and more work to clean and maintain plus added cost. Now, I am not a minimalist. I want a excellent bed to sleep in and a number of niceties min my galley (I am a qualified chef). They can be neatly done in a smaller boat. For me, I also need a good crapper (Natures Head), and a shower - yes you can use a solar bad in the cockpit but.... Depending on your expectation, the small boat can be outfitted to suit them unless you want more and then you need a bigger boat, prices go up, workload increases and so does cost of living and maintenance. If you can afford it,who cares. If not, living within yor means is always doable and only limited by your personal expectations. Life is an adventure meant to be enjoyed. Do what makes you happy. Fear of the unknown only holds you back because you fear failure. Failing is also part of the learning. How can you know what not to do if you never try. Fair winds and following sea. Bruce
Old 08-07-2016, 09:36   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To me 30-32 ft is a perfect size for 2 people. If you are crossing oceans etc then yes a big boat is nice for the comfort at sea, but for coastal etc 30-32 is wonderful.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:50   #24

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What's foolish would be not giving it a try.....
Agreed, with the price of Good Old Boats that size equalling just two to three months dirt rent, it's a pretty safe gamble and/or experiment.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:54   #25

I lived for nearly six years on a Kaiser 26 (hull #24) and with a LOT LESS money than you'll have.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:56   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

"Not the size, but the attitude" for sure. If you get off the boat, meet people and explore the places you visit then the boat is only the means to the end.

If you're worried about water tankage, get a watermaker. My V27 has only two 20 gallon watertanks aboard, but carries a watermaker with spares and a manual handheld wm in the ditch bag which serves as an emergency backup. With 2 onboard, we usually run through the tanks at just about the time the wm needs to be run and flushed anyway.

In this day and age, you can fit a lot of little luxuries into a small boat.

If you got the power for it, look at engel fridges and a 'Pelagic Autopilot'. Cold beer is the mark of civilization, and you should always reach the destination with enough energy left to enjoy one

Another plus is that a small boat is more flexible to own and store if you decide down the road you also want a shore-side lifestyle somewhere.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:00   #27

Boat: Alberg #0

You've got the boat, you've got the income, do it!!! :-D

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-07-2016, 10:20   #28

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

RKO....Yep, totally foolish idea. You're nuts. You ain't right in the head. Why the heck would you want to do that? That's probably what you will hear from your friends and associates. I am in pretty much the same situation as you are (OK, prolly not, my situation is weird and complex), but I recently purchased a Hunter Cherubini 27 that I intend to move aboard next spring when I repatriate to the States next year. I'm retired USN but don't have the pension amount the you stated that you have. After initial outfitting I should be able to live comfortably if I am careful and still be able too save some money every month for future upgrades/repairs. I repair private yachts for a living, but when not employed I assist archaeologists working in Egypt's Eastern Desert and l live out of my Land Cruiser in the middle of nowhere for months at a time. A few cumulative year's time in the desert has taught me much: More self-reliance and independance than I thought I already had, being a minimalist to an anal level, survival skills well beyond what I learned in the military (thanks to living with the local Ma'aza bedouins), and emergency situations requiring First Aid beyond those POS kits that people buy and put in their cars for traffic accidents that never get used.

So, be totally foolish and get rid of most of your things or put them in storage somewhere so that you can eventually throw them away years from now because you forgot what you even have in storage, move onto the boat and go sailing. If you find that the boat is too small for you, buy a bigger boat! It is do-able and many people have done on smaller boats. Life is really pretty simple when you get rid of all the clutter. I'm looking forward to my new adventure and I wish you luck on your adventure! Have Fun!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:21   #29

The question is never whether a given boat is suitable for you to live in. The question is always whether your are suitable for living in the given boat :-)

Only you can answer that.

TrentePieds
Old 08-07-2016, 10:21   #30

Laika brought up another good must have, an auto pilot. One of the handiest things ever invented, especially when single handing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: