Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 08:18   #1

Slip in TX for Liveaboard?

Hi, new to this forum. I'm in Texas looking for a place for liveaboard with access to the Gulf. So far I've been in Beaumont/Sabine Pass (a bit too humid for comfort) and Clear Lake/Seabrook (a little crowded for an inexperienced sailor). I'm headed to Galveston now and working my way down the coast to Port Isabel. Basically anyplace in TX is fine, but I'm looking for:

slip for 25-30' boat
liveaboard allowed
showers/restroom onsite
pumpout onsite
electric/water at the slip
laundry, diesel nearby

Standard stuff, I think. I don't have the boat yet; I'm looking to get a place to put it first. Any advice from the forum on this?
tvdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:30   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Slip in TX for liveaboard?

Slips that meet your description are easy to find on the TX gulf coast, but if you think it's any less humid along the coast than Sabine you'll be disappointed.

More than the slip requirements, you should decide what you want to have nearby. Is access to yards important to you? what about chandelerys? or even work?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 09:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Slips that meet your description are easy to find on the TX gulf coast, but if you think it's any less humid along the coast than Sabine you'll be disappointed.

More than the slip requirements, you should decide what you want to have nearby. Is access to yards important to you? what about chandelerys? or even work?
Yards nearby would be nice, as the boat I'm considering has a 1978 Atomic motor that I would replace and probably would need other major items. Marine stores are less important, since one can buy pretty much anything online these days (although there were a lot of marine stores on NASA Pkwy.).
Old 26-06-2013, 14:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Oh, by the way, at the Houston Ship Channel, it's already less humid than Lake Sabine, so you lied about that.
Old 26-06-2013, 14:32   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Look up Port Aransas and Kemah/Seabrook, TX. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 26-06-2013, 14:36   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdog View Post

Oh, by the way, at the Houston Ship Channel, it's already less humid than Lake Sabine, so you lied about that.
Give it a chance......
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 14:51   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdog View Post
You Yankees are just too funny. Matagorda is another option.
Ken43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 05:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Look up Port Aransas and Kemah/Seabrook, TX.
..Why?
Old 27-06-2013, 11:22   #9

Tvdog: I'm at Watergate in Kehma, Tx. Good place for a liveaboard and the area has good shopping. And, yes it's crowded on the week ends but after a short period of using your boat the traffic is not a problem. One word about Watergate marina. Since your boat is in the smaller size I wouldn't tell them you are a liveaboard. They don't check or care and you won't have to pay the $175.00 extra fee for a liveaboard. But it's clean the other boaters are nice and friendly.
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 12:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I don't know about actual weather statistics, but I found it less humid with more wind around Port Aransas.
Only thing I didn't like about Port A was that it is a very boring place to live for us. With Corpus only 30 mins away, it was still boring, at least to me and the admiral. We both like the Kemah-Seabrook area. We rarely go to Houston but it's nice to know it's there. As for crowded waters, most boaters don't stray very far from the channel coming out of Clear Lake. Just go about a mile further out than the crowd and the bay is yours.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17   #11

Boat: 1980 Chris Craft Commander 45'

Tvdog; I'm next door to Watergate at Legend Point Marina in Kemah, TX. It is less expensive than Watergate and has all the some benifits a lot closer. One difference is Watergate has floating slips, Legend Points are fixed. Access to gulf is the same. You pay for power that is all. Fixed are more secure in storms but can be difficult if you have low freeeboard.
Capt Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 18:35   #12

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
If you need a yard and stay in a nice little town.Then at least go check out Rockport. Great diy yard.Hooking Bull.And City marina is in middle of town.If humidity is a problem.Then Texas coast is not for you.We are in Seabrook Marina.We can walk to get the freshest seafood anywhere on the coast.
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:41   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I believe Connie and I have been in just about every port from Panama City FLA to Brownsville TX, and I don't think the humidity is much different anywhere on the Gulf Coast! Ya either can live with it or ya can't! We are in Louisiana, and go both ways on the coast, and the humidty seems to be pretty much the same! The only thing that helps is the wind changeing from south to north !! LOL Really I can't think of anywhere on the gulf that has less humidity then another place!
Old 01-07-2013, 20:31   #14

You know tydog ,he did lie! just to make you suffer! the further inland you go the better,up a river is the best place and there are no bugs to bother you !
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:22   #15

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Slip in TX for liveaboard?

Gosh, I'm glad we don't see the term "you lied" often. Had an ugly sound to it to my ear.

Think our OP should slide over to the Non-Humid Texas Sailing Forum.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard