Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 17:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Slip in TX for liveaboard?

We are in Port Aransas. City Marina.

Your length MIGHT be a problem - it depends. I know Corpus Christi has a 30' minimum. I don't think Port A does.

Port Aransas is ON the Gulf. It's a beach community, so not all things are easily available. There's a West Marine in Corpus Christi, about 30-35 minutes away. Small grocery store in town, big stores in Aransas Pass, about 20 minutes if there's no ferry wait. Lowes there too. Fixed and floating piers.

2 DIY yards nearby in Cove Harbor (Rockport).

Port A is: Cooler than anywhere else, less wind than Rockport or Corpus Christi (seriously, it blows like stink in both places - CC is considered the windiest city in the US - it blows 20-30kts all summer). Plenty of wind - just not the overwhelming wind that CC has. Much more of a "beach" feeling - small town, great feel. We hate the extra 50 minute drive from SA, but it's worth it.

If you want "quaint", Bahia Marina in Ingleside is it. It's primarily a liveaboard marina, with a pool. It's all fixed piers. It's not "new". But, lots of good folks there. Draft IS a problem (about 4.5 feet).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:37   #17

Boat: Bayfield 29C

Second Rockport, at least to investigate. Pleasant town, marina is central to everything, shopping & supplies practically in walking distance. Can't speak for nearby sailing waters, but I assume they're not too distant.

Up the coast but less desirable is Port Lavaca. Been to the marina in town many times, but didn't notice liveaboard amenities. Google it. Very shallow bay, so Matagorda Bay may be the nearest sailing water. Gulf and ICW are there.
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:45   #18

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Bahia Marina is a great place for live aboards.potluck dinners almost every night. Great people.very very friendly. When you come out of the marina.you can make a right in the Corpus Christi ship channel and the wind will take you straight to Corpus marina.Or make a left and go to the GOM, Port Aransas,Rockport and the list goes on.After I noticed the boat size.That might be problem at most marinas.But probably not in Bahia.Beautiful water for Texas.Shamrock cove is a great getaway. Best shelling on the Gulf.down in S. Texas.
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Gosh, I'm glad we don't see the term "you lied" often. Had an ugly sound to it to my ear.

Think our OP should slide over to the Non-Humid Texas Sailing Forum.
It is an ugly sound, but the OP will learn soon enough that there's a high pressure system settled over the area cutting humidity and temps to abnormal lows.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 19:56   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Allan View Post
............ Fixed are more secure in storms but can be difficult if you have low freeeboard.
How did you come up with that conclusion?
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08   #21

Boat: 1980 Chris Craft Commander 45'
Re: Slip in TX for Liveaboard?

Thank you for your question/comment. The opinion I offered comes from the experience and observing the results of the hurricanes that have pounded the northeast coast over the last 70 plus years. Observed was the fact that surviving more often than not were the "fixed" docks at the marinas, while the floating docks were scattered all over the area. Also the result of the floating dock damage to the hulls of the boats left tied to them was plentiful, if they weren't sunk from punctures.

Actually the best thing to do is to untie the boat, if you are not already in a protected cove or anchorage, is to head for a place where you can properly maneuver your boat by heading into the wind and keep dropping back and forth into and with the wind until it passes. Yes you will need to be on the lookout for drifting articles and avoid them. If you maintain a slow headway and avoid hitting anything you will come through quite safely. Of course you should be prudent and wear a life vest or similar during the storm.

I have seen the proven results of this many times and have done it myself through two of the worse hurricanes to hit Rhode Island and the east coast, excluding the 1938 hurricane.

One added point; floating docks basically are designed more to be a simple tying up slip for the temporary access to your boat. They have become popular because they are much cheaper to build and repair. A fixed pier is designed as a more permanent base and is much more expensive to engineer and construct. They are significantly more structurally sound and stable for docking. Therefore more durable in a hurricane if you were to remain tied up to one.

Also having designed the replacement of the docks in Galilee RI the decision of the Owners was to replace with fixed type verses floating type because of the proven durability. These are used by both the fishing fleet and recreational boaters.

Choice is always good however.
Capt Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13   #22

Whoda thunk it. I've never heard that before.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14   #23

Allen you are wrong about fixed dock vs floating docks!!! almost all the boats at my marina that were on fixed docks were damaged are sunk are impaled by pilings from the 10ft storm surge Search you tube videos of hurricane Ike watergate the reason you will not see the floating docks in the videos is that it would have been boring only a torn sail here and there or damage from a boat that came loose from a fixed dock my boat was 100ft from these and many other without a scratch
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42   #24

I think I'll stick with concrete floating.I survived Hurricane Ike at Seabrook Marina. While all the fixed were destroyed.Even the 12" steel pipe on the floating were bent like a melted liquorice stick.I could not believe those pipes bent over like they did.
Old 06-07-2013, 13:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
Allen you are wrong about fixed dock vs floating docks!!! almost all the boats at my marina that were on fixed docks were damaged are sunk are impaled by pilings from the 10ft storm surge Search you tube videos of hurricane Ike watergate the reason you will not see the floating docks in the videos is that it would have been boring only a torn sail here and there or damage from a boat that came loose from a fixed dock my boat was 100ft from these and many other without a scratch
Thank you for the fascinating video but very sad one at that. Hurricanes are very destructive and especially when you get a direct hit. All that loss is hard to see.
Capt Allan
Old 06-07-2013, 13:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Allan View Post
Thank you for the fascinating video but very sad one at that. Hurricanes are very destructive and especially when you get a direct hit. All that loss is hard to see.
Capt Allan
I wanted to add That I am not that familiar with the Gulf Coast but I will stick to my belief as far as the record I have seen on the N E coast. Could be the nature of the soil the piles are driven into and the depth too. I do thank you for your view though.
Old 06-07-2013, 13:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
I think I'll stick with concrete floating.I survived Hurricane Ike at Seabrook Marina. While all the fixed were destroyed.Even the 12" steel pipe on the floating were bent like a melted liquorice stick.I could not believe those pipes bent over like they did.
Thank you for your reply, I guess it looks like we just share different opinions. You are right it is surprising how much damage they can do.
Capt. Allan
Old 06-07-2013, 13:58   #28

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I have no first hand knowledge of this place in Port Aransas but it looks pretty good. Check out their rates. The do welcome liveaboards.
Island Moorings Marina Port Aransas Texas
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 15:01   #29

Island moorings is very nice. I would not say its top-of-the-line. But it's a nice place to stay. Its a good destination for Texas boaters.We stayed there about 6 months a couple years ago. It is pretty expensive in my opinion. I remember that the electricity was pretty high too running AC. It has a nice pool with the bar things like that. You can sit at the pool and watch planes come in and out at the airport mostly small private jets and little aircraft nothing noisy. Not really a big place. Mosquitoes can also carry you away in the summer months late at night.
Old 11-07-2013, 15:45   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
Island moorings is very nice. I would not say its top-of-the-line. But it's a nice place to stay....... It has a nice pool with the bar things like that. You can sit at the pool and watch planes come in and out at the airport .....Not really a big place. Mosquitoes can also carry you away in the summer months late at night.
For that section of the Texas Gulf Coast, I think there is no close second.
I like the way it is pretty much away from everything.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard