Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 19:05   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Sleeping Question...Feet or Head in...

Hi Folks,

This is probably a really dumb question, but on vessels with a bed situated beween 3 walls e.g. V Berth, do most folks go in head first or feet first? I guess it is just part of sailing that you are going to wake up your mate if you have to hit the head in the middle of the night, how the heck do you get out of those beds without doing some kind of gymnastics... I can see a big advantage to the CATs with a bit of space round the bed... When I was on my little sailing adventure for a week last month, it was always a bit of trouble to get in and out (I was going in feet first)... guess I am getting too old and just not as flexible as I use to be...

Anyway, maybe I was just doing it wrong... thoughts anyone ??
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 19:07   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I personally get a bit claustrophobic (sp?) and so I like to keep my head in the open.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 19:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've been sleeping in V-berths for 38 years, always with our feet to the bow. A sit-up & pivot swings our feet to the floor, but your post is intriguing. Now I can imagine all kinds of head forward-port and starboard-head to foot possibilities. Where is that v-berth Kamasutra book!
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 19:31   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Its a matter of personal choice, would you rather sleep face to face? Or get a little more room, since feet are narrower than shoulders, and it is easier to jam 4 feet into the pointed end, than two sets of shoulders. And if it isn't your SO you're sleeping across from, feet to feet might just be nicer to wake up to in the morning. :-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 19:36   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
The wife and I sleep feet to bow, never really thought about it as a problem but I sleep on the port side so it is easy for me to just swing around and i am up.

I know a number of times the wife tells me I am in the middle of the bed and makes it hard for her to get in or out but this is mostley after a night I have been drinking.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 20:21   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Whenever sleeping in a V-birth, I sleep feet towards the bow. More because I find it easier to deal with bedding. The gymnastics of getting out are just part of the experience and help keep us in shape!
Spencer
Old 10-01-2010, 20:48   #7

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
the only reason I'm sleeping in the bow V berth is......its 29 friging degrees in south west Florida....fracking BBBBbbbbbbburrr.........force 10 heater is in the salon....saloon....oh give me another drink ....it's damn cold.....V berth, feet to the bow.....pivot on your ass to get out.......grab something warm and snore...................................Ed in cortez............good night
Old 11-01-2010, 01:56   #8

Boat: seawind II Patience
Wondering about this my self,done it both ways,guess i'm biberthal.Think like feet to bow best,but pain in the a&& to get out.And it is freaking cold in sw fl.This global warming is starting to frost my a&&(literally).marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56   #9
CLOD

Boat: none
My wife and I sleep in out aft berth as it is bigger overall than the V-berth, But we still have to go in feet first as that way we have more head room above us. Petty trapped feeling otherwise. The thing I don't like is that to rawl into and turn around, and later you have to kind of crawl back out unless someone os goiung to get kicked.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21   #10

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We have a large VBerth, we sleep with our feet towards the bow. We have more than enough room and are very comforable. We have lived aboard for almost 2 years.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We have a berth that is sort of a half V berth and sleep with feet forward to give us more headroom to sit up and roll over, etc. The PO had the bed made with the head forward but we couldn't get in there very well so changed.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09   #12

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
if your boat is pitching then the arc will be bigger in the bow - so that is where the feet go.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Fore or aft berth, my feet always go in first. Better able to hear what is going on and easier to get out quickly

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:10   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
Head towards the center of the boat. Less apparent movement.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:13   #15

If in the V-berth the feet to the bow; aft berth s'brd or pt depending on tack (if boat is wide enough) or head to bow if not (funny how boats are set up with head to stern). Head should be closest to minimal movement.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote