Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2010, 20:59   #16

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
folks......what sock do you put on first.........man....has it come to asking a forum " how to sleep?"......and what's the best way?....OK I got one ...what blue water boat should I buy? and what will it cost me to cruise to Tortola for 10 years

Old 11-01-2010, 21:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
folks......what sock do you put on first.........man....has it come to asking a forum " how to sleep?"......and what's the best way?....OK I got one ...what blue water boat should I buy? and what will it cost me to cruise to Tortola for 10 years
"He who has all the answers is worse than ignorant:
The resourceful know to ask questions."

The great thing about forums is that, if you find a thread has nothing of interest to you, you can move on to another one. There's no need to be critical of other people's interests along the way.

Old 11-01-2010, 22:49   #18
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I have done both. in the old chris craft we always slept head in the bow end and feet sternward.

In the Cal we sleep foot to the bow. Either way I get in by just crawling up and turning around. Getting out is usually turning around and sliding out on my butt.

Cal V berth is very narrow up at the bow, Chris Craft was pretty wide and straighter. SO it was just what makes sense in each boat.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44   #19

I was told once that you should sleep feet first when underway as you run the risk of breaking your neck in a collision if you are head first .

I'm not sure if any of that is true, but I do sleep feet first........ just in case
Old 12-01-2010, 04:53   #20

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
shoulders are wider than legs

Usually....shoulders are wider than feet/legs. We prefer the berth in the salon but if the couple joining us is older or clausdraphobic then we trade.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 18:30   #21

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
When alone in a V-berth it is head first because it allows a quicker non gymnastic move to get out if you need/ want to. Otherwise it is the flip as others have stated due to the feet taking less space.

I've used the settee for many months as my primary bed for ease of access but have recently moved to the aft cabin and sleep head starboard feet port as the entrance is starboard. Better mattress but less feel of what is going on over the full boat as from the settee.... and very difficult to pick up when you need to do the rain drills until it is pouring in... while at the settee you can react to the first few sprinkles.
Old 12-01-2010, 20:22   #22

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks all for suffering this fool... I think I will need one of those meat locker rails in my berth so it can just lift me up and slide me out

I met a guy who tells me he and his use seperate sleeping bags, so that way he can unzip and get out without messing her up... I can really see advantages to the side births in a lot of Mono"s, easy in easy out...

Well, thanks for all the great info as usual...

Cheers
Old 12-01-2010, 21:04   #23

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
When alone in a V-berth it is head first because it allows a quicker non gymnastic move to get out if you need/ want to. Otherwise it is the flip as others have stated due to the feet taking less space.
Like Reality Check says.

Head first is often good for hiding from light when sleeping by day. But you need a good stomach to sleep anywhere in the bow in any seaway.

My father tells an ancient story about asking me whether I found it rough that morning in the forepeak. I apparently said "No ... I only hit the roof three times."

The answer is a definitive "it depends"! But other berths are often better.
Old 12-01-2010, 23:03   #24

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Like "Bewitched" and for the same reason, always the feet ahead just in case of a collision...
Old 27-01-2010, 18:58   #25

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
When I first lived aboard, the boat had a decent amount of head room over the bunk in the V berth and getting in so your feet were at the bow was a cinch.

Espina has very little head room in the forward cabin. You can rest your bum on the berth facing the center, lean forward and thats it. There is no way for me to lift my legs up, and swing them forward while leaning back down on the bunk. The area on the bunk with clear overhead is about 12 wide at the head, tapering over 30 inches to about 2 inches. If you sit with enough room to pivot the legs, your back is against the bulkhead so you can't lay down, you need to slide forward. And my butt is a lot more than 12 inches wide so you are only half on it when doing the pivot. Not very comfortable. Getting out is a horror show.
I've taken to climbing in head first, and then rolling to port and into the bunk. Getting out is a reverse, Roll to starboard and then one leg comes out, and hits the deck. Wriggle backwards and stand. It works well enough in port.

At see, I sleep on the saloon floor between the settees. Much safer, less movement and very easy to get up fast.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 12:33   #26

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
I think... I will mount those handicapped bars in the Vee Berth.... from the overhead, so I can pull myself out.

(Feet to bow... and most of the time on anchorages in the lakes we sleep one in the vee berth and one in the aft because one of us goes to sleep before the other now adays)

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:46   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
When I first lived aboard, the boat had a decent amount of head room over the bunk in the V berth and getting in so your feet were at the bow was a cinch.

Espina has very little head room in the forward cabin. You can rest your bum on the berth facing the center, lean forward and thats it. There is no way for me to lift my legs up, and swing them forward while leaning back down on the bunk. The area on the bunk with clear overhead is about 12 wide at the head, tapering over 30 inches to about 2 inches. If you sit with enough room to pivot the legs, your back is against the bulkhead so you can't lay down, you need to slide forward. And my butt is a lot more than 12 inches wide so you are only half on it when doing the pivot. Not very comfortable. Getting out is a horror show.
I've taken to climbing in head first, and then rolling to port and into the bunk. Getting out is a reverse, Roll to starboard and then one leg comes out, and hits the deck. Wriggle backwards and stand. It works well enough in port.

At see, I sleep on the saloon floor between the settees. Much safer, less movement and very easy to get up fast.

Sabre
Nice to see I'm not the only one who use's the cabin sole at sea in a small boat......

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:50   #28

Just wait until Apple comes out with the "iberth"

Problem solved...
Old 31-01-2010, 20:00   #29

Feet to bow, head towards center. Never thought why, it is just more comfortable.
Old 19-02-2010, 08:58   #30

On faster boats one should sleep feet forward in case of sudden stoppage on a wave or other hazard. Don't need a broken neck. Just a tip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: