Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2015, 20:30   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sleeping patterns/comfort

Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
....... the rhythmic tapping of halyards caressed by the breeze, ....

PLEASE!!! Secure your halyards!

I HATE being anchored near a boat with ding, ding, dinging halyards.

Worst thing is you usually only notice them when you go to bed.

Apart from noisy halyards on nearby boats, I usually sleep very well. After 5 1/2 years of fulltime liveaboard, I'd be in trouble if I didn't.

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 13:09   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. It is amazing how much more noisy all the regular noises become just when we want to sleep. Halyards, moorings, fenders, pans and corned beef and CDs ... they are all in cahoots.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 14:21   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Relative to mooring noise, earlier this year, someone mentioned in a post that he carries a sort of inflatable donut on a string that he can pop over the mooring line and settle round the mooring buoy, that cushions his boat from the mooring banging when the wind drops out.

I thought that was a cool idea for areas where one is required to pick up moorings.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 19:59   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When there IS a watch (as opposed to everyone being asleep at a mooring or anchor) and I know and trust the watch, I can sleep like a rock. Otherwise, I'll wake and turn over every time the wind or tide shifts, or the moon plays behind the clouds.

There's a term coming out of PTSD research called "hypervigilance" and it means pretty much what it sounds like. Some brains get reprogrammed, often by traumatic events, and go into overdrive. It isn't paramoia, but rather, an increased response to stimula and enviroments that other people are ignoring.

Pretty much like the difference between "situational awareness" and "numb". You know, some people are texting and just walk into traffic, while others could never cross a curb without already having at least glanced both ways.

Shake your boots out for scorpions every morning and your bunkmates will call you crazy. Do it in the desert, and they be shaking theirs out right alongside you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:23   #50

Boat: Ericson 30+

Craziest thing was that I got so used to sleeping on the boat. Even the slight rocking on a calm night was the weirdest feeling to get rid of. After sleeping 7 straight months on a boat I got into a land bed and I had the worst night of sleep! Air Con stuffed me up, the stillness of the bed, waking up thinking I was on the boat but wasn't, and to top it off the craziest sailing/liveaboard dreams of sailing 30 kts stalling in a channel, riding up on rocks at anchor, THE WORST.

Fortunately it's effects have faded now heh.
Wicked Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:19   #51

Wife and I are considering cruising life. One thing I wonder about is the heat in the Caribbean. How well do the A/Cs work on your average boat(that has A/C)?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Carahbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 18:40   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What climate are you accustomed to? I think this has a significant effect on adjusting to tropical climates. For example, I grew up in S Mississippi (then Texas, then Florida, then Belize...) so hot & humid seems normal to me.

At anchor boats normally swing into the wind so ventilation is good and normally comfortable to me. If the wind dies, the bugs come out, etc then it can be less comfortable.

Properly sized/installed/maintained marine ACs work just fine. But, most cruising boats don't run AC at anchor. A genset is required to power them at anchor. AC is handy when in a marina and not necessarily facing into the wind.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 22:48   #53

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

I sleep much better at sea and a anchorages than in a bed at home, I love the sounds of a boat and the seas. I long for my boat in Australia. We hope to have Dilligaf home this month

Some days you are the Pigeon, other days your the Statue !
dilligaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: