Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 11:06   #16

Re: Sleeping patterns/comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Snake are pretty common, you get used to them swimming out and boarding the boat at night and slipping into bed with you after a while.
That was VERY bad! But very funny!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:33   #17

In Greece in summer, the evening starts at 9. Kids playing,people talking,music thumping into the wee hours. Time to close the hatch, pull over the block-out blind, put in the earplugs and doze off. A good mattress is important; my body doesn't enjoy sleeping on plywood.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:53   #18

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

10 to 1 scope. No worries.
Old 12-07-2015, 13:26   #19

I sleep great on the boat, better than at home. My Vbirth is quite big, so contrary to conventional wisdom, my aft cabin is my guest cabin.

Along the anchor alarm line of thinking, I have working smoke and co detectors, automatic bilge pump and automatic fire fighting system.

Fire is always my number one concern before dragging anchor.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 13:32   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

From your comments tuffr2 this sounds more about your general anxieties than about sleeping on a boat. Not sure there's a cure for that ... except just learning to trust yourself and your vessel.

I usually sleep very well on our boat. I anchor well and prepare for what I can prepare for. If there's a big blow coming through I will stay awake long enough to make sure all is well, and will sleep lightly or not at all. On rare occasions I've sat up all night keeping anchor watch, but this has been few.

Mostly, if it's noisy I use ear plugs. I figure if I'm going to wash up on shore I'd better be well rested .
Old 12-07-2015, 13:53   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

It's an adjustment like anything else.

For me the first night or two isn't good, but after that I can sleep well if I'm in a protected anchorage.

I've slept many nites 70 yards from the beach with an onshore "breeze" of between 20-30 knots because I was a beginner cruiser on a $2,000.00 boat. My reasoning was let's see what will happen since I bought this boat to learn cruising.

Each time the 20lb CQR Anchor that came with the boat held, but I did have a big Bruce at the ready which also came with the boat along with 3 other anchors.

Now I know some good spots where sometimes I will go to sleep at 5pm in the V berth on top of my blow up "Rubber Lady" and sleep til around 4am which is when I awake for coffee so I can catch the last of the night winds.

It's all about giving yourself time to adjust.......and the right rubber lady.

Mine is a Coleman.

ps. I use ear plugs also like Mike above at times
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 14:45   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We sleep well on the boat unless there's a big storm and I elect to be up and watchful for the big storm events anyway!

It's the hotel rooms that are the real trouble. They are eeirely still and the beds seem to suck you toward some central soft spot. I can only get a brief rest clinging to the edge!
Old 12-07-2015, 15:07   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We sleep well on the boat unless there's a big storm and I elect to be up and watchful for the big storm events anyway!

It's the hotel rooms that are the real trouble. They are eeirely still and the beds seem to suck you toward some central soft spot. I can only get a brief rest clinging to the edge!
We put those mattresses on the floor, and sleep better. Really!

Tuffr2: on those times when the wind is getting up and a frontal passage or thunderstorm is on the way, we set the anchor alarm function on our GPS, and that somehow gives permission to go back to sleep when the foofaraw lessens.

Ann
Old 12-07-2015, 16:12   #24

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
----I never did sleep well while on a boat. From always watching the sky ----
You should try sleeping inside lol.
Old 12-07-2015, 16:31   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

I think 'get a new mattress' idea posted above deserves an extra boost.

I say this because my back is less than perfect and I notice huge improvement in how it feels every time I swap my mattress for a new one. To the point that now I will just replace my mattress at about half it 'usable life' time. Simply, while 90% of the mattress area may feel like new, the important 10% may have already lost its desirable properties.

Bueno. My two cents. I say get a new mattress before you get a new boat ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 16:55   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The best sleep aid is a really good anchor. Since we got our Rocna we have not dragged at all, ever. Of course we set an anchor alarm and if the weather is getting up I'm watchful. But confidence in your anchor allows good restful nights.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 18:23   #27

My wife sleeps really well with a\c and fans because I think there is so much while noise. when we have slept without that, she has trouble. Also I think consistency counts... like when I go camping for multiple nights I sleep terribly the first night or so but then it gets better.
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 19:53   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

tuffr, it is all a matter of who you are. Anxiety, vigilance, situational awareness, security. Some people simply can't relax and zonk out when there's "stuff" happening around them, and that's really a survival trait. Something goes bump in the night, you wake up, if it is a bear you grab a rock or run away and you stay alive. Someone who sleeps like a rock, becomes bear food.

Anti-anxiety meds, or hypnosis, may work to help you relax and sleep afloat.

Somehow you just have to "change the programming" in your mind and convince it that the more active environment on the water is not a danger. Or, go ashore once in a while and enjoy a solid night's sleep.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 03:12   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

If you stay on the boat a couple weeks without going home to your bed, you would begin to sleep well.

Think of a situation that is similar.

Military boot camp comes to mind where you are sleeping near 80 other strangers and there was always someone yelling. Plus at first you never knew when they would scream at you to get up.

It's kind of like seasickness. Some folks are sick as hell for a few days then adjust and are fine like in the book Two Years before The Mast.

Others skip that part and take a Dramamine (if needed) on the first day or so then are fine afterwards.

A nice peaceful anchorage is always helpful though with a familiar bottom and equipment that you are used to using which so far for me is my 20 lb CQR. This is especially good after a couple hard days sailing and little sleep the previous days.

Another thing that I do at times is tie and extra line on the anchor line so I can turn the boat into the waves. This is sometimes due to currents etc and the boat will be beam too and you find yourself having to hang on to your bunk all nite so you won't be thrown out.

With the extra line you can swing the boat around to where it is pointing into the waves.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 13:43   #30

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

It has everything to do with who is on watch ;-)
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote