Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 18:45   #61

Boat: Egg harbor 33 named Willow Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Ah yeah, wrong spelling: Thermacell

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent
I entered the giveaway and won! I hope it works
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 19:51   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I came across this product in Australia.

Once I stopped laughing I never could bring myself to use it.

Maybe there is someone in the “Armed Forces” who could offer an opinion?

Whack Off Insect Repellent : Random Funny Pictures | The Newest, Most Viewed, and Most Popular Funny Pictures
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 21:54   #63

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
The first time I had to sleep in the berth in a mosquito infested place, they were so bad that I propped an empty paper towel tube on my chest and used the bed sheet for a tent. Worked well, but it was a little uncomfortable and hot. I remembered reading somewhere that a breeze over 1 mph disrupts a mosquito's flight. I but a 12", 3 spd table top fan a few feet from my pillow and now sleep under a bed sheet with the fan blowing over my head and exposed parts. Works very well.
Old 27-06-2010, 04:31   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Use bed nets that are rectangular in shape, impregnated with permethrin* (a pyrethroid) every six months, and tucked tightly under the mattress before dusk.

* Some commonly used insecticides
Permethrin EC
Deltamethrin SC
Deltamethrin tablet
Lambda-cyhalothrin CS
Cyfluthrin EW
Alpha-cypermethrin SC

Canadian Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Malaria Among International Travellers - Public Health Agency of Canada

Canadian Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Malaria Among International Travellers - Public Health Agency of Canada

What is malaria? - Spread the Net

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 18:38   #65

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
The first time I had to sleep in the berth in a mosquito infested place, they were so bad that I propped an empty paper towel tube on my chest and used the bed sheet for a tent. Worked well, but it was a little uncomfortable and hot. I remembered reading somewhere that a breeze over 1 mph disrupts a mosquito's flight. I but a 12", 3 spd table top fan a few feet from my pillow and now sleep under a bed sheet with the fan blowing over my head and exposed parts. Works very well.
I can guarantee that 1 mph is nothing to a skeet. As a land surveyor in the Arctic, I can personally attest to, swear to, (and swear AT), that the little pains-in-the-ass can navigate in a breeze up to about 9-10 mph. At 12 we all breathe a huge sigh of relief because it means, for that time anyway, "No bugs!"
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 08:39   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
I can guarantee that 1 mph is nothing to a skeet. As a land surveyor in the Arctic, I can personally attest to, swear to, (and swear AT), that the little pains-in-the-ass can navigate in a breeze up to about 9-10 mph. At 12 we all breathe a huge sigh of relief because it means, for that time anyway, "No bugs!"
Down here they know how to use eddies and can tack and pinch better than any sailor I know.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:04   #67

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
I had read somewhere that Thai lemongrass oil has a higher concentration of the active component of what is sold as citronella oil, than does the actual citronella oil. The Thai lemongrass oil is supposed to be quite effective, though I have not used it myself.

Some time ago, the US military did trials involving yarrow tincture/extract as a possible replacement for DEET. I don't know how it turned out, but much of what I read up on yarrow tincture points at it as a pretty good repellent.

I stopped using DEET after doing some more research on it after it ate through the plastic on my watch during an exercise in the field.
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
... Thai lemongrass oil has a higher concentration of the active component of what is sold as citronella oil, than does the actual citronella oil...
Oil of Citronella works primarily by masking (due to it's distnctive odour) the carbon dioxide and other chemicals given off by humans that mosquitos target.

Oil of lemon eucalyptus [active ingredient: p-menthane 3,8-diol (PMD)], a plant- based repellent, is also registered with EPA. In two recent scientific publications, when oil of lemon eucalyptus was tested against mosquitoes found in the US it provided protection similar to repellents with low concentrations of DEET.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:12   #69

Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Oil of Citronella works primarily by masking (due to it's distnctive odour) the carbon dioxide and other chemicals given off by humans that mosquitos target.

Oil of lemon eucalyptus [active ingredient: p-menthane 3,8-diol (PMD)], a plant- based repellent, is also registered with EPA. In two recent scientific publications, when oil of lemon eucalyptus was tested against mosquitoes found in the US it provided protection similar to repellents with low concentrations of DEET.
Hmmmm....how 'bout neem oil? It sounds promising.. Repellent action of neem cream against mosquitoes. [Indian J Malariol. 1995] - PubMed result C'mon...cut me some slack here!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:38   #70

Boat: Skookum 53'
When I first started working in West Africa there was a corporation mandate to use anti malaria medicine (still is), after reading about the health side effects of the different anti malaria medicines I consulted with some old Limeys that had been living there for 30 years and asked their opinions, to the person they all did not use anti malarials and claimed that they did not prevent malaria only masked the symptoms until you get really sick and then it took much more medication to overcome the malaria. If you are not taking the a correct anti malarial for the specific strain of malaria in the area then it will do no good as a preventative. Most of them had contracted some form of malaria in the first ten years of residence after that they did not catch it again. I have worked in west Africa for the last ten years and have not yet contracted malaria and have used no special repellents at all, I do avoid the open air until after night fall is complete or I go out during broad daylight. I do eat lots of garlic and vitamin b, and in the last year I have been forced to consume doxycyclene due to the company's frequent urine tests requiring me to have the substance in my system. In Alaska we use Cutter's to good effect, though I have to say up around Barrow, I think the mozzies must eat it, we would carry 2 bottles with us for interim protection, but they were not deterred and a 25 knot breeze would not dissuade them. Finally I quit using repellent and eventually they got used to me and didn't bite very often, the locals didn't use any kind of bug spray. I will try the lemon zest on my return to Africa.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:51   #71

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I have travelled in Africa extensively for the past two decades. Pretending you wont get malaria because you havent gotten it yet is just plain insane. Malaria can be fatal. It is no joke. The locals come from a gene pool where there is some resistance to malaria. People of European descent don't. DO use a repellent. DO avoid being out at dusk when they come out of wherever they are hungry. DO use a prophylactic antimalarial. DONT pretend you cant die because people who dont take precautions can and do die from malaria.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 13:01   #72

Boat: Skookum 53'
Well maybe that is where I am lucky, I am of American Indian descent.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02   #73

Turns out catnip, of all things, isn't such a bad go as far as repelling mosquitoes.

ISU News: Catnip Drives Cats Wild, But Drives Mosquitoes Away

Apparently I have far too much time on my hands... :-/
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Kamal Chauhan et al, found that “... catnip oil is significantly less effective than deet or SS220...”

See their research published in the Journal of medical entomology:
“Feeding Deterrent Effects of Catnip Oil Components Compared with Two Synthetic Amides Against Aedes Aegypti”
by Kamal Chauhan, Jerome Klun, et al

BioOne Online Journals - Feeding Deterrent Effects of Catnip Oil Components Compared with Two Synthetic Amides Against Aedes aegypti

ARS | Publication request: Feeding Deterrent Effects of Catnip Oil Components Compared with Two Synthetic Amides Against Aedes Aegypti.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...f&AD=ADA505002

“... In the present study we evaluated the repellent efficacy of the natural product catnip oil that was claimed to be ten times more effective than deet. We compared its effectiveness with two established repellents deet, and SS220, in tests using human volunteers against a mosquito that is a serious disease carrier. We found, contrary to the claim, that catnip oil is significantly less effective than deet or SS220...”

Old 16-07-2010, 05:53   #75

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Skeeters

Finally something I can contribute to thank the members for all the info I've gotten. I'm often outdoors here in Michigan, barefoot and wandering the woods up north. I've found that Deep Woods Off is the best bet economically, there's also an Off product with something like 90% Deet from Outdoor outfitters (Bass Pro/Cabella's, but it's VERY expensive) that comes in a tiny bottle and you rub it on. I've found that the Off products work with one application and last all night long.