Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2010, 01:52   #46

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Mast mounted ray gun

Problem solved:

'Star Wars' Laser Kills Mosquitoes | LiveScience

Possibly...
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 04:12   #47

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
I heard about using dryer sheets in a pocket when walking around so I plan on trying them tied to the boom. I also eat a garlic clove each day and am hoping that will have an effect. I actually spray my yard with a leaf blower that has an attachment connected to a tank filled with a gallon of water and an ounce of chysanthamum oil. This works great and we live next to some wet lands. It last about 2 weeks or until it rains. I'm thinking of putting some in a spray bottle and doing the cockpit if the dryer sheets don't work.

Boatman 61...tell me exactly how you make the lemon zest. Do you use the rind or the pulp? Do you mix it with water. It sounds interesting.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 04:48   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
Boatman 61...tell me exactly how you make the lemon zest. Do you use the rind or the pulp? Do you mix it with water. It sounds interesting.
Hi Boomp.. Its pretty simple and is for individuals.. not big areas..
Dunno if you ever watched a cocktail barman put a 'Twist' in a Martini cocktail but basically its the same principle.. slice off a small piece of skin and with the yellow skin facing outward(toward you)squeeze between thumb and forefinger, aiming at the area near, about 3-6 inches from your lower ear.. this sends a spray of neat citric oils across your 'attractive zone'.. repeat with fresh pieces to other ear/neck region and exposed surfaces where veins run close to the surface.. wrists, ankles, backs of knees etc..
I suppose one could mix up larger quantities somehow but I've never bothered to try that.. why dilute it
Once a night is sufficent... try it with a small bowl of water.. you'll see the oil hit and spread its sheen..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 05:06   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
My Family just puts me on the boat, my blood is like Crack to these nasty buggers, We just put the mast up tonight and I counted, 53 bites on me, my oldest has 3, and my wife none.

I have tried everything from Skin so soft, vitamin B, Deet. and as much as I don't like it, Deet works the best, it varies based on the time of year and how bad they are.

Citronella or the coils do work, but I find they only protect the one so, so I can be sitting in front of a candle and my back will get eaten.

I have resorted to carrying a mosquito new jacket with a hood.
Similar in our family. Wife is constantly complaining about skeeters and I don't know what she is talking about. Yet she gets bit. So clearly there is something different between us. She says it is my disposition.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Similar in our family. Wife is constantly complaining about skeeters and I don't know what she is talking about. Yet she gets bit. So clearly there is something different between us. She says it is my disposition.
For those of us who are more attractive to the little...buggers, there's not a whole lot to do about it. It's a body chemistry thing -- we just smell better to them. There is also the factor of the immunological response that is the actual 'bite'. Some people can get bitten and not really care because they're not nearly as reactive (the actual bite swelling is essentially an allergic reaction to anti-clotting compounds and such that are injected in the saliva).

I'm in the same boat as your wife: if there's a mosquito around, it will bite me, and I will probably wind up with a welt the size of a dime.

My father, who is in the same boat I am (genetics of body chemistry perhaps?), tries to claim they only like him so much because he's so sweet.
dexwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35   #51

Boat: Leopard L38
Thermocell is the way to go. Living in Florida we have lots of bugs that bite. Go to thermocell.com
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Having been raised in mosquito country(India/Pakistan)I am a bit more relaxed about the Malaria Phobia... if you've a good diet/health/immune system and don't overexpose your self the risks are minimal... I'll stick with my lemon in preference to the commercial toxins thank you
Being relaxed about it won't save you.

Malaria: Mattie Cooper died after not taking anti-malaria drugs | Mail Online
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
and being stressed about it won't save you either.. all that anxiety over being bitten probably over stimulates your blood cells... and they fly past me to get to you... you know what they say about food..."If it smells good..."

All I know is you never see mosquito's near lemon trees.. they can't stand the acidity.. same goes for the oil from the skin.. not saying it's a suit all.. your chemistry is different.. who know's... unless someone here tries it and gives some feedback.. anythings gotta be better than rubbing chemicals into your system.

My 'Mission's' not over yet.... lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:43   #54

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Thermocell is the way to go. Living in Florida we have lots of bugs that bite. Go to thermocell.com
Yeah, this works pretty well. I use one of these for camping.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52   #55

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Hmm, is it just me or does this site about residential insulation not really have anything to do with mosquitos, etc.?

Rebecca
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:55   #56

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Ah yeah, wrong spelling: Thermacell

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:09   #57

Boat: Leopard L38
Talking

That good ole Florida edumacation!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 13:32   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use citronella with cedar oil in it-found it in my albertsons grocery store lol....works well.....i also keep the boat wide open ---but the flying thingies dont fly in with this combination burning in my trawler lamp...i also use the strongest repellant i can find--i am bitten usually before most others and it isnt fun....and i found the garlic only tastes goood to me--lol----gotta try the lemon thing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 14:48   #59

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I spent some time on a citronella farm in Guatemala years ago , Citronella is made from Cymbopogon, a genus of grasses that are commonly found in warm temperatures like in tropical regions. Nothing to do with citrus although the name would seem to imply that.

Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:18   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Growing up with Malaria

I grew up(1950's) in Port Moresby, now capital of what is Papua New Guinea. Malaria was a continuous threat, and we took anti malarials almost continuously, mostly camoquin. This was common practice among expatriates and I do not remember any obvious doses of malaria in our community.

About 25 years ago I returned to teach in Passam, a small village just to the south of Wewak in the Sepik district of New Guinea. I continued to take anti malarials but after I had been there about a year I came down with what felt like a severe dose of the flu.

We knew some of the expatriates who had been working as doctors in the local hospital so I was taken there where they did a blood test that showed a massive count of the parasite. I was given a preventative dose of anti malarials (Camoquin from memory) and recovered in a couple of days.

Some of the long term residents in the Sepik did not take anti malarials as they believed that they could mask the symptoms of malaria.

What I believe to be essential is to take malaria as a disease very seriously. Other than screening, repellents, covering up and staying indoors at dawn and dusk of there is the slightest chance of having contracted the doctor disease attending a local doctor as soon as possible is essential.

The local doctor will better recognize the disease and be familiar with treating the form it takes in the local area.

From the Daily mail article:-
Quote:
Mattie returned to the UK during the second week of January in 2005. Her mother thought she seemed a bit tired, but put that down to having had a long flight home.
In fact, the malaria was starting to attack her. After someone has been infected, it takes a minimum of a week and up to a year or, on occasions, even more before they show the first symptoms of the disease.

‘Within two days of her return, Mattie was clearly unwell. She was shivery and had a headache but she thought it was nothing more than flu,’ says Ros. ‘I offered to take her to the doctor — I kick myself now for not insisting that I do it — but she was adamant she was fine.
Quote:
‘There were so many points at which this could have been picked up, but it wasn’t,’ says Ros. ‘Ironically, if her symptoms had come on in Africa people would have automatically assumed it was malaria and got her treatment, but here no one thinks of it.’
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote