Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56   #1

Size is important ....or is it?

Newbie looking for some practical advice....I have tried the search facility but can't find the answer so would appreciate experienced members opinions ....

We all know that size is important but is a bigger boat necessarily beneficial? My wife and I are very experienced travellers but inexperienced sailors....we are going on a world tour starting 2017 - clearing up business and "stuff" this year and next - we will be buying, a new boat between 45 and 65 ft in the new year.....cost isn't an issue and we will probably want a skipper for the first year or so......question is, does a larger boat cause any extra annoyance when it comes to marinas etc! Certainly our local one doesn't have any berths available for anything over 45 ft ....I favour the larger size, Jeanneau, Oyster or similar as the extra space has to be useful if it is going to be home for 5 yrs or more, more headroom, visitor space etc....but will the extra size be a PitA?

Help appreciated.
No boat yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Charter a few different yachts and get a better feeling for what you need.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01   #3

Thanks for the reply ..... I know what I want - a 60ft plus boat....what I want to know is "does the size of the boat create problems when visiting marinas etc?" i ask because I have no experience although in other walks of life I have noticed things become unnecessarily complex due to arbitrary numbers....our aeroplane - for example - weighs over 3 tonnes and that often requires parking on the "commercial" ramp with its attendant procedures, delays, busy bodies and forms rather than just taxying straight to the flying club and leaving the airport...... is there a point at which boat size creates similar complications?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:37   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post
.... is there a point at which boat size creates similar complications?
Yes there is. While there are marinas you can berth 60'+ boat they are rare in some parts of the world or the draft is limited. Basicly depends how remote and excotic places you want to visit less you will find where to "fit in"
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:43   #5

Thanks for reply......we shall be visiting some very remote and exotic locations including a lap of Iceland, Greenlandic coasts, Arctic Canada, Pacific Islands and both coasts of the US....but we will also be visiting most of Europe first......bigger boat makes the passages and self sufficiency in remote locations easier but will complicate cruising the Med and US?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

with that size boat you can forget marinas. you'll end up in commercial harbours, on iceland/greenland etc (if you hvae no sailng experience, I'm going to suggest that these are very tough areas to sail to - you may want to rethink this)

In the Med you can dock without issue and also in many european countries - but why do you want to? The boat has an anchor and this is what you use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you try harder with the search facility, you'll get tons of info on this subject.

Wise men may disagree, but in my opinion 60' to 65' is a good size for long distance, long term cruising. Most marinas can find some space somewhere for a boat that size. We're about 60' loa and haven't had big problems even in the Baltic, which is geared to much smaller boats. Any limitations in marinas are more than offset, in my opinion, by ability to carry a bigger tender and ground tackle. Over 20 meters (about 66'), however, you become a ship for purposes of many rules and that is a PITA.

That said, I did some cruising on a 90' Swan with 14' draft, and even that wasn't all that bad. We just anchored out if we couldn't get into a harbor.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:35   #8

Thanks Carsten.......we are very familiar with Iceland, Greenlad etc....just not with sailing around them......but we will be employing a Skipper/crew that does......ironically, if the boat size isn't an issue in the Med, US etc then I don't mind some aggro up North as I know where I can use in those parts of the planet.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:40   #9

Thanks DH - info much appreciated......not sure if the Search facility is the problem or, more likely, operator incompetence .....

Looks like 20m is the 3 or 5.7 tonne threshold.....60 and a bit ft is looking like the better compromise.......
Old 06-09-2015, 12:50   #10
cruiser

If you're thinking about purchasing an Oyster, then why not just call the Oyster brokerage in Newport, RI or in Ipswich UK? Ask for Matthew in the UK. They will be very helpful in answering your questions, since they have boats all around the world. There's even an Oyster round the world rally beginning within 18 months for another 30 or so boats since the rally which took place two years ago was so successful.

62ft is about as big a yacht as you can get for just one or two people to handle. Larger than that, you'll need at least one crew member to assist. Stuff starts getting heavy and the maintenance a little too much for two people in most cases.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:52   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Before you make your plans on sailing in the high latitudes, some time pursuing Noonsite.com may be worthwhile. Even if you hire a skipper at first, very few have experience in those latitudes.

You may also, just for background information, read Matt Rutherford's blog, Solo Around the America's Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating.

He circumnavigated both north and south America. In a 27' Albin Vega. Non-stop, being resupplied twice, once off Alaska by boat, and once when he had major problems off Brazil.

I think it is a wonderful adventure; just ensure that you recognize the challenges.
Old 06-09-2015, 13:02   #12

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Of course size matters. Everything is charged by the foot with boats, but since you said money was no object, guess it's not a problem. We went with the Pardeys advise. Going small, going simple and going now.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:04   #13

Thanks for advice, will peruse Matt's blog but I intend taking things rather easier than he did.....spent decades doing things the difficult way - and charging for it - this will be an indulgence.
Old 06-09-2015, 13:04   #14

Boat: Shopping

In the U.S., isn't a Type 2 MSD required at 65'? More of a nuisance, I think.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Of course size matters. Everything is charged by the foot with boats, but since you said money was no object, guess it's not a problem. We went with the Pardeys advise. Going small, going simple and going now.
Happily money is not an issue in this context, done the hardship thing in a different arena and won't be doing it again......and I don't want to go yet, have some things to clear up and some pre planned events that I want to go to before we push off.

Hope you are enjoying small & simple....who are the Pardeys?

Tags
import, size