Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01   #61
Registered User
 
Juho's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Finland
Boat: Nauticat 32
Posts: 716
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

A large boat may not fit in some harbour, or its draft is too deep, or mast too tall. But the tender of that large boat is also large, and can therefore take you there safely and comfortably. In most natural harbours even small sailing boats need a dinghy for landing.
__________________

__________________
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06   #62
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's funny that in all of these boat size discussions, people with small ones consistently say big boats are terrifying/uneconomical/unnecessary, and people with big ones always say that we would never want a smaller one

But none of this is relevant to the OP's question so why are we rehashing it here? He's going to have professional crew, which is a very smart decision. With professional crew and no budget problems, there is really no even wrong argument against a bigger boat

With those parameters, make mine about 90'
You really really really want that garage don't you?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 44
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
That's already taken care of... ;-)



Hmmm, appears that you may have had a bit of a reading comprehension problem, with that one...

Anyway, good luck with your search... It's gotta be nice to go boat shopping, with cost being no object... And, may all the brokers you visit have airfields nearby large enough to accommodate your 3+ tonnes aeroplane...

;-)
Actually they do...the aeroplane is 5.699 tonnes as there is another silly limitation at 5.7 tonnes...... but the weight statement wasn't made to be a smartarse, merely as an example of the unintended aggravation that an arbitrarily imposed limit sometimes introduces to a user...... my size inquiry was merely if that same situation exists with boat length....my financial position is non of your, or anyone else's concern, nor is my - or my employee's skill level.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your perfectly sized boat and never have to wrestle with a fallen mast.
__________________
No boat yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:23   #64
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post
Who are the Pardeys?
They are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

Among others: The Hiscocks, Jimmy Cornell, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger, John Letcher and Richard Henderson.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.

Google is your friend when you ask a question like this.

I'm sure others can chime in with some other great writers.

No need for you two to reinvent the wheel. Not these days.

While you're at it (for books) Sailing for Dummies is quite a good read, too. 'Specially since you're just starting out.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29   #65
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post

I hope that you continue to enjoy your perfectly sized boat and never have to wrestle with a fallen mast.
Thanks, but my boat is far from being "perfectly sized", for me... No question, I'd prefer she was a bit larger, but even if cost were no object, somewhere around 40-42' would be about as large as I'd ever care to go...

Seriously, I thought my suggestion to try to get a ride on a bigger boat in the ARC was not a bad one... Or, you might consider trying to get a berth on a leg or two in the Clipper Race. That would definitely give you a pretty good idea if sailing the world as a cruising couple on a yacht approaching the size and power of those boats is something you might be really up to...
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45   #66
Registered User
 
Dr. Sea's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Annapolis/ BVI
Boat: Oyster 55
Posts: 194
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;1909287]They (thePardeys)are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

Among others: The Hiscocks, Jimmy Cornell, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger, John Letcher and Richard Henderson.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.]

I have learned a lot from reading the Pardeys, Cornell, Leonard & Starzinger, and others, but just as important as the particular bits of advice and tips and techniques they have offered is their perspectives and philosophies. After you have read some writers who are coming from different perspectives with different philosophies and circumstances, you realize that each one has a fairly well defined audience in mind, often an audience that is similar to the writer. So you have to ask yourself, "Are they writing to me?" Clearly the Pardeys' advice to "go small, go now" was not written with this OP in mind, so while it is good advice for many people, it is irrelevant and useless in this case.
__________________
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:50   #67
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Clearly the Pardeys' advice to "go small, go now" was not written with this OP in mind, so while it is good advice for many people, it is irrelevant and useless in this case.
Not sure how their book "Care & Feeding of the Cruising Crew" or something like that can be irrelevant and useless.

Everybody's gotta eat, regardless of the size of the vessel.

Your points about each author having their own perspective are valid, but what's new about that?

They won't be singlehanding, but Henderson has some very important issues that he discusses about how to sail a boat. Eventually they'll be just the two of them, and I think most of us agree that with only two on a boat, one of 'em's singlehanding while the other is off watch.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:58   #68
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's funny that in all of these boat size discussions, people with small ones consistently say big boats are terrifying/uneconomical/unnecessary, and people with big ones always say that we would never want a smaller one

But none of this is relevant to the OP's question so why are we rehashing it here? He's going to have professional crew, which is a very smart decision. With professional crew and no budget problems, there is really no even wrong argument against a bigger boat

With those parameters, make mine about 90'
Actually, I thought the OP also said that he & his wife may opt to sail the boat themselves after a stint with professional crew. I also read his opening post as predisposed towards a larger boat, but specifically asking for any downsides, whether it be dockage, handling, or overall 'PITA' as he put it. I agree that, with the issue of added costs eliminated, a larger boat looks mostly upside. But also considering a larger boat's need for electrical/hydraulic sail handling & anchor windlass systems -- to name but a couple of the more critical examples -- seems reasonable and responsive to the OP's questions/concerns.

I appreciate threads like this since I often single & short-hand my 47'er with electric windlass and electric furling for both the main & headsail. The boat is accordingly easy to manage by myself, but I'm always concerned about being able to deploy the manual backups if something fails in rough conditions. So when much more experienced posters like Jon E. says he personally wouldn't want to own more than 40-42', I'm not looking to bail on my bigger boat but it does give me reason to pause . . . .

Not really a big vs. small boat debate imho, Dock, more like some of those inevitable trade-offs that the admittedly inexperienced OP, as well as somewhat more experienced guys like me, might appreciate reading.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:58   #69
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's funny that in all of these boat size discussions, people with small ones consistently say big boats are terrifying/uneconomical/unnecessary, and people with big ones always say that we would never want a smaller one
Well, I'm the Odd Man Out around here, no doubt about it... ;-)

Every time I somehow manage to get a sailing yacht over 50' to its destination in one piece, I breathe a heavy sigh of relief...

The toast at dinner that night is always one of thanks, and the hope that the next one is aboard a smaller boat...

I must be getting old...

;-)


__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:07   #70
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You really really really want that garage don't you
Indeed I do.

I also want one professional full time crewman. Someone to do all the boat repairs and maintenance which I spend so many port days doing myself, and to take the odd watch.

Of course, one might say, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride . . .
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15   #71
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, I'm the Odd Man Out around here, no doubt about it... ;-)

Every time I somehow manage to get a sailing yacht over 50' to its destination in one piece, I breathe a heavy sigh of relief...

The toast at dinner that night is always one of thanks, and the hope that the next one is aboard a smaller boat...

I must be getting old...

;-)
Just the same as me

Except for me it also applies to yachts under 50', and probably more so
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24   #72
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Actually, I thought the OP also said that he & his wife may opt to sail the boat themselves after a stint with professional crew. I also read his opening post as predisposed towards a larger boat, but specifically asking for any downsides, whether it be dockage, handling, or overall 'PITA' as he put it. I agree that, with the issue of added costs eliminated, a larger boat looks mostly upside. But also considering a larger boat's need for electrical/hydraulic sail handling & anchor windlass systems -- to name but a couple of the more critical examples -- seems reasonable and responsive to the OP's questions/concerns.

I appreciate threads like this since I often single & short-hand my 47'er with electric windlass and electric furling for both the main & headsail. The boat is accordingly easy to manage by myself, but I'm always concerned about being able to deploy the manual backups if something fails in rough conditions. So when much more experienced posters like Jon E. says he personally wouldn't want to own more than 40-42', I'm not looking to bail on my bigger boat but it does give me reason to pause . . . .

Not really a big vs. small boat debate imho, Dock, more like some of those inevitable trade-offs that the admittedly inexperienced OP, as well as somewhat more experienced guys like me, might appreciate reading.
Fair enough And certainly I value John E's opinions


But I rather discount the idea that the OP will be sailing without crew once he's tried it. You never go back, methinks
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:28   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: Shopping
Posts: 426
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Fair enough And certainly I value John E's opinions


But I rather discount the idea that the OP will be sailing without crew once he's tried it. You never go back, methinks
Crew on the boat would ruin it for me.
__________________
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30   #74
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
They are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

Among others: The Hiscocks, Jimmy Cornell, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger, John Letcher and Richard Henderson.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.

Google is your friend when you ask a question like this.

I'm sure others can chime in with some other great writers.

No need for you two to reinvent the wheel. Not these days.

While you're at it (for books) Sailing for Dummies is quite a good read, too. 'Specially since you're just starting out.
Pardys are very much worth reading, and for the reasons you state, but the furthest from the OP's specific interests. For that, Starzingers and Morgan's Cloud would be the place to start.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:32   #75
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,729
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
......Starzingers and Morgan's Cloud would be the place to start.
Or Dashew's Cruising Encyclopedia
__________________

__________________
mitiempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
import, size

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Size vs Slip Size Tscott8201 General Sailing Forum 25 23-08-2013 07:32
Important information for monohul sailors cat man do Monohull Sailboats 7 25-11-2006 18:38
Major important Breaking news. Alan Wheeler Off Topic Forum 6 12-10-2006 12:59
Most Important Advancement to Sailing? GordMay General Sailing Forum 24 19-08-2005 06:06
Important Discovery ! GordMay Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 30-06-2005 14:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.