Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 01:34   #226

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We have lived/cruised on a 36ft boat and now a 50ft floating condo of a Hudson Force 50 and you know what....size hasn't made a bit of difference to us in how we enjoyed cruising and living aboard. The only reason we moved up in size was due to outlr two teenage kids...but when they are off the boat we could stay with the 50fter or go back down to 36ft and be happy as clams in mud.

My advice to newbys is always to not get so hung up on the boat...its just the vehicle for the dream...not the dream its self..
G'Day Rich,

In this case, I think that you and most of the other posters have missed the point. This isn't a case of a newbie looking for advice on buying a boat, it is an ego looking for gratification. A whole new set of criteria IMO.

This sort of off the wall opinion is what comes of being married to a psychologist for so many years! But really, do you get the feeling that this is a serious boat buyer asking for advice? Not me...

Jim
Old 15-09-2015, 12:25   #227

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

OP - Check out this owner's custom designed by Bob Perry, NA.

http://www.pacificseacraft.com/asset...ri-bws_139.pdf

He posts his design considerations and iterations here. Customer posts too, very entertaining.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...owtopic=133360

CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

We are very happy at 49 feet, too large for some, too small for others, but wife can put it in the slip better than she could the E-38 we had many years. It just doesn't respond as fast as the shorter, lighter boat, but it does respond predictably. Many times, over reacting is what gets an inexperienced boat handler in trouble in tight spaces.

On the point of forces involved when sailing, Jon (delivery skipper) is correct on being cautious with power assisted sail handling. With an aircraft, depending on which one, power is assumed to be present for control. Don't know if yours is wire back up to electro-hydro controls, but ....

on any sailboat, assume that you will be suddenly be without power when sailing, due to something going wrong down below.

We only have manual winches on board, and although a roller main and head sails, they roll in and out without binding if the boat is handled and pointed properly to start with.

The folks on this forum are the best in my opinion. No one totally agrees with anyone else, and if they did, the monolithic experience would put everyone to sleep in a short few weeks.

Dockhead and Kenomac are great to hear from as they describe big boat problems, solutions, and experiences. There are experts in a lot of fields on this forum.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 11:28   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post
Newbie looking for some practical advice....I have tried the search facility but can't find the answer so would appreciate experienced members opinions ....

We all know that size is important but is a bigger boat necessarily beneficial? My wife and I are very experienced travellers but inexperienced sailors....we are going on a world tour starting 2017 - clearing up business and "stuff" this year and next - we will be buying, a new boat between 45 and 65 ft in the new year.....cost isn't an issue and we will probably want a skipper for the first year or so......question is, does a larger boat cause any extra annoyance when it comes to marinas etc! Certainly our local one doesn't have any berths available for anything over 45 ft ....I favour the larger size, Jeanneau, Oyster or similar as the extra space has to be useful if it is going to be home for 5 yrs or more, more headroom, visitor space etc....but will the extra size be a PitA?

Help appreciated.
Size does matter. Thought we wanted 60 to 65. We are 55 overall, you can often find your self on the end if a T dock. This is no big deal, however making reservations and making sure they have enough water is a must. We have an electronic centerboard from 10' draft to 6', we can go just about anywhere. Not always fun when in crowded area's. Anchoring in a large boat you need swing room and some smaller boat Captain's are not always real happy about it. We made a list of what we wanted on the boat. Then a smaller boat had everything and we would add what we wanted.ie, dish washer, washer vented dryer, hard dodger, all new B&G electronics even a chandelier. My husband and I sail this boat by our selves, we have had crew and find you have no privacy. Guests come and go,so a very nice stateroom is in order for visits. You need knowledgable Captain to teach you, plenty of electronics to be able to push button sail a large boat. Oyster is a good boat, but there are other heavy cruiser's out there as well, a heavy boat equals a nice ride. I have been to the high Lat's, you want a boat then can take what it will dish out.
Hinckley Ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 11:58   #229

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Ketch View Post
Size does matter. Thought we wanted 60 to 65. We are 55 overall, you can often find your self on the end if a T dock. This is no big deal, however making reservations and making sure they have enough water is a must. We have an electronic centerboard from 10' draft to 6', we can go just about anywhere. Not always fun when in crowded area's. Anchoring in a large boat you need swing room and some smaller boat Captain's are not always real happy about it. We made a list of what we wanted on the boat. Then a smaller boat had everything and we would add what we wanted.ie, dish washer, washer vented dryer, hard dodger, all new B&G electronics even a chandelier. My husband and I sail this boat by our selves, we have had crew and find you have no privacy. Guests come and go,so a very nice stateroom is in order for visits. You need knowledgable Captain to teach you, plenty of electronics to be able to push button sail a large boat. Oyster is a good boat, but there are other heavy cruiser's out there as well, a heavy boat equals a nice ride. I have been to the high Lat's, you want a boat then can take what it will dish out.
Nice touch with the chandelier! I gather from your forum handle & first post that you own a 55' Hinckley ketch. Would love to see a pic or two should you have a chance. And no, it doesn't have to be of the chandelier . . . necessarily.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 11:59   #230
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

HinckleyKetch, Welcome aboard CF! I see you have just joined the forum and this is your first post. I appreciate your POV and your comments added to the discussion.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:03   #231

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Wow noboatyet, lotta discussion, opinion & snark this, that & other way when you answered your own question in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post
:snip:
..question is, does a larger boat cause any extra annoyance when it comes to marinas etc! Certainly our local one doesn't have any berths available for anything over 45 ft :snip:
Most marinas can accommodate a few large vessels but as you've already niticed, slips tend to max out at 45'. The marinas cater to the demand at hand and while there's a heinous amount of money here & there (judging by the count of very large, rigorously maintained, sailing vessels down at Camache Cove, somebody's doing well), most folks have found 30'-45' to be the ticket for a slip.

Fair winds.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 17:30   #232
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Ketch View Post
I have been to the high Lat's, you want a boat then can take what it will dish out.
Good on 'ya, not many folks take a Hinckleys or a Morris to the higher latitudes, where did you go?

I trust you have some stout fender boards, those fleece Maine Point fender covers can take a real beating up north...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 17:38   #233
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post

Most marinas can accommodate a few large vessels but as you've already niticed, slips tend to max out at 45'. The marinas cater to the demand at hand and while there's a heinous amount of money here & there (judging by the count of very large, rigorously maintained, sailing vessels down at Camache Cove, somebody's doing well), most folks have found 30'-45' to be the ticket for a slip.
Camachee Cove is one of my favorite spots, but it's not necessarily all that representative of the size boats folks are out there cruising on these days...

Things can be quite a bit different, in marinas where the size of the boats are not restricted by the 65' air draft of the ICW fixed bridges, so there's a pretty good reason why the size of the sailboats in Camachee tends to max out at around 45'... A place like the Charleston City Marina, or the Beaufort Docks, can present quite a different picture...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, size