Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2015, 08:40   #211
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Size is important ....or is it?

Again . . . It is unfortunately a bit more complex than just looking at the UK reg's.

First, I suspect the OP might be advised to fly a non-UK flag. It will depend on the specifics of his situation, but for many there are advantages.

Second, just look at the most basic rule -the colregs- and you will see a 20m "boundary" in force in several sections. (There is also a 12m boundary in colregs-and uk safety equipment). These are not particularly onerous but I mention it because it just points out that size gating is spread thru-out almost all vessel requirements and regulations.

Third, foreign countries (and even individual ports) can and do place local requirements on foreign flagged vessels (insurance, pollution, pilotage, agents, etc) and often those rules are gated by various size measurements.

Fourth, many owners find it tax advantageous to get a commercial registery. But, as mentioned, that does expose you to a whole further layer of quite complex regulations, both local and international. Many of which are again gated by various size measurements.

Sixth, different insurance companies have different requirements, which are often size gated (by the underwriter), and also differ if you are carrying pro crew (significant health and liability insurance issues arise) or are commercially registered.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 14:08   #212

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
To Pelagic: Thanks for adding that description of the various tonnage terms. I had always wondered about the various terms and that article made it clear. Another example of what one can learn reading threads on CF!
In very simple terms....

When people speak about passenger ships they normally refer to the Gross Tonnage... ie the volume of the ship.

When refering to navy ships its normally the displacement, light or loaded, ie the physical weight of the ship which is also of course the weight of the water that she displaces.

With oil tankers and bulk carriers the deadweight is commonly refered to... that is the physical weight of the cargo that she can carry.
Old 13-09-2015, 16:13   #213

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Again . . . It is unfortunately a bit more complex than just looking at the UK reg's.

First, I suspect the OP might be advised to fly a non-UK flag. It will depend on the specifics of his situation, but for many there are advantages.

Second, just look at the most basic rule -the colregs- and you will see a 20m "boundary" in force in several sections. (There is also a 12m boundary in colregs-and uk safety equipment). These are not particularly onerous but I mention it because it just points out that size gating is spread thru-out almost all vessel requirements and regulations.

Third, foreign countries (and even individual ports) can and do place local requirements on foreign flagged vessels (insurance, pollution, pilotage, agents, etc) and often those rules are gated by various size measurements.

Fourth, many owners find it tax advantageous to get a commercial registery. But, as mentioned, that does expose you to a whole further layer of quite complex regulations, both local and international. Many of which are again gated by various size measurements.

Sixth, different insurance companies have different requirements, which are often size gated (by the underwriter), and also differ if you are carrying pro crew (significant health and liability insurance issues arise) or are commercially registered.
It's a complicated world. I spend too much of my life negotiating and complying with laws, government and regulations in some way or another. Oh for a simple life...
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:49   #214

Boat: Liberty 458

We found 45 - 50 feet to be the sweet spot for a couple.

We ended up buying a Liberty 458. Plenty of space for living and it even has a dedicated workshop.

Anything bigger than about 48 feet seems harder to find berths for.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 22:44   #215
cruiser

To the OP,

Well it's Monday..... What did you buy at the boat show?

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	108999  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 23:19   #216

Boat: 50 Bene

Hey No boat yet don't get discouraged here on forum. We were in the the same boat so to speak. We were "newbies" and our starter boat turned out to be a well equipped 50 foot mono. Well we just celebrated our first year of ownership with a hefty portion of it living aboard and couldn't be happier. Don't think I would want anything bigger however, and being able to do it again may have given the 45ish boats more thought but all in all we are super happy. So what kind of aero plane do you fly? I'm in the Cal22 version of an airliner

Cheerio Will
Old 14-09-2015, 06:40   #217

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
To the OP,

Well it's Monday..... What did you buy at the boat show?

Ken
Good question, Kenomac. Many of us are wondering if Mr. Deep Pockets put his money where his mouth is.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 17:26   #218

Zinger, I realise its more complicated than the simple length vs regulations sample I gave. I'm just trying to give the guy something to start with.

When I pulled into Bath Ontario this aft in 25 knot winds, I'm not quite sure how one would have managed a 65 footer, my little 35' is the big looking boat second one in.

Regulations would be a secondary concern here

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 17:27   #219

Oops, missed attachment

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1442276863208.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	109036  
Old 14-09-2015, 18:26   #220
Armchair Bucketeer

OP sounds well suited to a catamaran......

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 19:06   #221

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
OP sounds well suited to a catamaran......

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.

I agree. Something like this.

http://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat-77/

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 14-09-2015, 19:47   #222

To keep things in perspective re is size important, this guy has more miles under his keel then a great many want to be sailors, I'd say pushing 1000. And he's kind of small.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1442285185072.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	109049   Click image for larger version

Name:	1442285203886.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	109050  

Name:	1442285220384.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	109051   Click image for larger version

Name:	1442285239836.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	109052  

Old 14-09-2015, 21:59   #223

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
To keep things in perspective re is size important, this guy has more miles under his keel then a great many want to be sailors, I'd say pushing 1000. And he's kind of small.

Cute kid, and one who looks most happy to be aboard!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 22:08   #224

Boat: O'day 27

If i were in your position (going on a world cruise with 1 person) I'd get something in the range of 30-35 ft, if you can organize and minimalize its plenty of space, it will reward you with less time and money spent on maintenance etc etc... Also say you're sailing away and you haveva bit too much sail and its gusting and the halyard begins the chaffe at the top of the mast, then it snaps... Do you think you could wrestle a 1000sqft mainsail of a 60ft boat in 25 knots of wind? I'm a firm believer that simplicity is efficiency and that a small boat is simpler. But hey, whatever floats you're boat!
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 22:18   #225
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

We have lived/cruised on a 36ft boat and now a 50ft floating condo of a Hudson Force 50 and you know what....size hasn't made a bit of difference to us in how we enjoyed cruising and living aboard. The only reason we moved up in size was due to outlr two teenage kids...but when they are off the boat we could stay with the 50fter or go back down to 36ft and be happy as clams in mud.

My advice to newbys is always to not get so hung up on the boat...its just the vehicle for the dream...not the dream its self..
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, size