Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 15:27   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
SiriusXM

I am a liveaboard usually in remote BC coast with no radio reception which I guess means SiriusXM... I need my CBC fix. Electronics for me is 2 12volt batteries plus 1000 W inverter. I have called Sirius but can't seem to get across I do not own a car. Just wondering if there is any such thing as a sit on a shelf SiriusXM radio with an antenna to run outside my steel hull. Or whatever setup boaters prefer... many thanks
Gary
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:20   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: SiriusXM

Check with a shop that sells audio equipment. There are many portable radio options. XM just supplies the service, not the hardware. Also, you can get 6 months for $25.
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
I am a liveaboard usually in remote BC coast with no radio reception which I guess means SiriusXM... I need my CBC fix. Electronics for me is 2 12volt batteries plus 1000 W inverter. I have called Sirius but can't seem to get across I do not own a car. Just wondering if there is any such thing as a sit on a shelf SiriusXM radio with an antenna to run outside my steel hull. Or whatever setup boaters prefer... many thanks
Gary
Sure, there are plenty of ways to skin that cat. They make several units that just needs a dock, which the receiver plugs into, the antenna and power cable and audio output cable also plug into it.

By the time you buy all of those parts, it can run you $100-200. I chose to buy a demo unit off Ebay that comes with a lifetime subscription for about $250. The seller guaranteed the unit and service for 2 yrs, which the service alone costs more than $250/ 2 yrs. It came with all of the extra channels, Howard Stern, sports, etc.

I bought 3 docks, 3 antennas and 3 remote controls for about $90 more and I can plug this unit into my car stereo, home stereo, any boom box with an aux. input. I have one dock each in my cars, one in my living room and just move the receiver with me.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:47   #4

Here is an example of a small portable one.

Here's another one with a different shape.

Here's the exact same receiver I bought.

Sirius SP3 Sportster 3 XM Satellite Radio Only Lifetime Subscription | eBay

Here's a lifetime receiver that docks into a boombox, it includes the boombox.

Sirius ST2 Starmate 2 XM Satellite Radio w Boombox Remote Lifetime Subscription | eBay

socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:52   #5

Here are some antennas: Sirius XM Satellite Radio Antennas
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:55   #6

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

Sirius/XM is the best, although the annual cost is creeping up. The small automobile receivers are 12V with tiny antennas on loooong cords. I velcro my antenna to the inside of a window over the nav station so it doesn't get fouled in lines on the cabin top. If you have an onboard AM/FM/CD player or other audio system you can run the XM output into an auxiliary jack and use whatever speakers you already have. You will wonder "what took me so long" once you have it and find your (commercial free) favorite music channels!
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:56   #7

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I've got XM on an old SkyFi 2 mounted inside a steel wheelhouse using an exterior antenna that came with the radio. Reception varies according to the direction the boat is pointed and what obstacles there are in the area. If you're up some of the BC inlets, you may not get much.

Joe
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29   #8

Boat: Boatless

Look through www.tssradio.com I pretty sure that's the link. Anyway...they sell everything satellite radio. If you already have a stereo head unit in you can get a stand alone unit. If not your only option is the boom box.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:57   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Be sure you have reception in BC. Technically I think they still only service the USA, but you can get reception in other places. Works most of the time for us in Guatemala, but not in Panama.

The car antenna needs to be on metal as a counterpoise so should work with a steel hull. Otherwise you need a different antenna. They do make base units & antenna for home use. I have a car unit installed so I can drive of from 12V, but a home (roof mount) antenna.

You can also stream Sirius over the Internet so don't need any of the above hardware provided you have decent Internet service.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:11   #10

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Be sure you have reception in BC. Technically I think they still only service the USA, but you can get reception in other places. Works most of the time for us in Guatemala, but not in Panama.

The car antenna needs to be on metal as a counterpoise so should work with a steel hull. Otherwise you need a different antenna. They do make base units & antenna for home use. I have a car unit installed so I can drive of from 12V, but a home (roof mount) antenna.

You can also stream Sirius over the Internet so don't need any of the above hardware provided you have decent Internet service.
Sirius works throughout Canada, a little spotty in mountains and overhanging trees, but fine on the coast of B.C.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote