Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 22:22   #2011

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Lol....Skin in or two side?[emoji4]
Huh? You mean is there anything underneath the suit? Can you really not imagine the answer to that?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 22:32   #2012
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Huh? You mean is there anything underneath the suit? Can you really not imagine the answer to that?
No ....some wetsuits are made with a smooth rubber interior (better seal and thermal properties) called "Skin in"

You need to soap yourself up before squeezing into them.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 23:45   #2013
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
No ....some wetsuits are made with a smooth rubber interior (better seal and thermal properties) called "Skin in"

You need to soap yourself up before squeezing into them.
Oh great... I have this vision of men with skin sensitivities in the water starting to foam up.... your diving buddy is just a mass of soapy bubbles as he scratches away..

Alternatively the alarming scene of men passing the WD40 spray bottle between themselves just to get into the suit....

ahuh..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 23:50   #2014
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
My goodness, Pelagic! That's about as doable as trying to describe the taste of a fried egg!

Really, diesel odor should not be a problem at all, as long as there are no fuel leaks. It's a non event, except when there's a leak. And you'll smell it the moment you get below, having a smell there is a huge change. Your below decks area should have no smell at all. If you have an engine room, it may smell of lube oil, but not diesel.

Ann
If the diesel odor is on your clothes, it's a good bet that the insides of the drawers and hanging lockers are at least a part of the source. And I suspect that the dinette settee cushions are too.

There is a product that will eliminate ANY odor--even smoke and diesel: Pure Ayre Odor eliminator PureAyre eliminates cat, pet, smoke, skunk, cigars, gasoline, cooking and musty odors I tripped over it several years ago at a boat show in Seattle...brought some home to test, and have been a fan ever since.

You've already done the most important thing in getting rid of any odor...you've eliminated the source. Now we're only left with residual odor that's permeated cushions, lockers, nooks and crannies. To get rid of that, put some PureAyre in a garden pump spray jug spray every inch of inside of the boat with it...making sure to use enough on cushions to penetrate all the way to the middle of the foam from both sides...it does little good to just "dust" the surface with anything if the odor has permeated the whole cushion. Spray the insides and outsides of drawers...etc etc. Then don't rinse...just leave everything open and let it dry for 24 hours. If you still have any remaining odor, you missed a spot.

To get rid of odor in your clothes, put a quart of PureAyre into a washerload of COLD water...let it soak overnight, then launder as usual.

I don't have any connection to this product or the company that makes it. I recommend it 'cuz it WORKS..the only product I've ever found that not only eliminates "organic" (bilge, sewage etc) odors, but also smoke and diesel. And it's approved for use around food, which makes it very safe...and the answer when a shore power failure leaves you with a fridge that stinks from the meat that spoiled in the freezer.

Diesel smell in the boat - Trawler Forum
Old 23-01-2018, 23:55   #2015
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After the hurricane Charley in 2004, a lot of my clothes had been soaked and sat wet for a few days. Had that horrible rank moldy smell with slimy feel.

A wise woman told me to wash them in the washing machine with non bleach bleach. (For coloured clothes) I did so and hey! cleaned them up beautifully and removed the smell!

Might work for that diesel smell too.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:12   #2016

Boat: Freedom 38

THIS is what we've been talking about, right ladies?!

https://www.bolde.com/incredible-wom...ves-heres-why/
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:37   #2017

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
THIS is what we've been talking about, right ladies?!

https://www.bolde.com/incredible-wom...ves-heres-why/
Here we go, girl!

Granted, where's i'd give myself a 6/10 on the amazing-scale (i'm working on getting back up to speed, got bogged down for a bit), i'd definitely give you a full 10!

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:52   #2018
CF Adviser

I'd call that article self serving BS designed to help the magazine sell advertising.

That same crap could be applied to men, but my key issue with this is:
ALL WOMEN are incredible to the right partner and if you start grading a potential partner in terms of inferior/superior.... You are guaranteed to end up with a hollow choice that never reaches his/her potential.
Old 24-01-2018, 02:56   #2019

Quote:
I'd call that article self serving BS designed to help the magazine sell advertising.

That same crap could be applied to men, but my key issue with this is:
ALL WOMEN are incredible to the right partner and if you start grading a potential partner in terms of inferior/superior.... You are guaranteed to end up with a hollow choice that never reaches his/her potential.
Good point. the grading thing isn't a good idea... but i do not agree with your inferior/superior qualification here.

this article doesn't spell it out this way. it does attempt to bypass this notion. it states that there are gals who are just not thinking of getting a guy: they are thinking of what to do, where to go, what to learn and how to do it... next.

this is the crux of it, right here, i think. i've known lots of women who do not feel complete without a man in their lives and who struggle to move forward on a project without a man in their lives to do it with them. Boatie brought up something to this effect earlier.

this article is saying that there are those gals who are swinging from limb to limb and are difficult to attain because of it. this article is saying that they are greatly admired, yet often alone.

i've been there before...
Old 24-01-2018, 03:31   #2020

ok be nice to me guys... i'm giving this thread something to sink its teeth into

on being female: pet peeves, dislikes, preferences on a sailboat

1) if there is anything i dislike (beyond getting screamed at or fondled or worse - which has been already discussed here), it is being expected to cook (be the galley slave) because i'm female.

i do my share graciously and as a good hostess, but i've learned to set the boundaries as fast as i can. i also tend to wash up twice as much as my duties require to make up for any short-comings

but the truth is that, whereas many women love to cook, i actually feel anger inside of me when i'm expected to whip something up in the galley, for the guys (and i'm often the only female), especially during a sail. when sailing, i want to sail too...

2) not having my share of the helm and the decisions made there. whereas i'm a happy first-mate and am ready to climb the mast, clean the bilges and the boat, change the impeller, the filters, switch out the propane tanks, grapple with the anchor, the dingy... lots of stuff..., i'm working on becoming more comfortable at the helm in different situations.

i was sailing each day on a hobbie cat a couple of summers ago and was paired with a young guy, and the guy never let me steer the bludy boat! after a couple days of thinking that he'd realize that he'd had his share of the tiller, i came to believe that he was a young macho and had to simply put my foot down. but then, when i finally got to steer, he then back-seat steered (like a panic-ass) and near drove me nuts!!! and it wasn't because i was bad at it, it was because he felt insecure if he wasn't the one in control. i asked for another partner and got one (thank goodness).

3) i took some group sailing lessons years back (here in france), and the instructors didn't realize it, but they spoke directly to the guys on board while sailing. they (two different instructors during different courses) would look directly into the eyes of the guys on board when delivering the important (responsibility stuff) info. i probably would not have noticed but, because i hear less well than others, i tend to look at someone directly (especially in the wind) as so much can be read in the face and mouth. after a while...

4) just two days ago, on another website, i noted that there was a discussion following a post that read "the man who doesn't lose sight of the shore, ...he... "
and a few female sailors popped in with light-hearted comments pertaining to the 'he' and hinted at the possibility of 'she' as in "coo, coo, we are here too". most were taking it as fun but some guy had to write, IF SHE'S COURAGEOUS ENOUGH...

lots of women are not especially adventurous, granted. lots of women are not especially courageous when it comes to getting into blue water, granted, but this guy was responding to female sailors ...

5) smells... of all the natural boat smells, it is the mildew smell on plastic that doesn't sit well with me... as far as "manly smells" go, Ann responded well to the question, but there are definitely different types of skin smells. this is probably best left a mystery. however, i will say that added cologne and deodorants or loud soap smells are a definite turn off. diesel and oil smells are better because they smell like a boat. i've never tried neoprene though... Gamayun seems to be suggesting that it might be worth go...

6) decoration: i'm a bit of a minimalist and a purist who sticks to the 80% clean rule. yet, i cannot stand flowery prints or "girly" stuff decoration (you know the flowery prints that often come wit the older moodys? gah!), but the same goes for neon lighting. for me, below needs to be cozy and inviting. it is nice when the project is done, and it feels and looks like a boat again. that said, i'm particular about tools. tools need care and to be well-stowed. i like having a handy box and get frustrated when tools are unfindable. having a boat with a tool room, with a mini bench, with a vise would thrill me silly! that's the hard thing about small boats...
Old 24-01-2018, 03:35   #2021
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi View Post

this article is saying that there are those gals who are swinging from limb to limb and are difficult to attain because of it. this article is saying that they are greatly admired, yet often alone.

i've been there before...
Your right, I get that point.

But I also think it is somewhat self fulfilling when you are totally emersed in your own development, career, adventures, that you have little time or inclination to find a partner. You only see "interesting" people.

Maybe, those types (including myself) take shortcuts when they go into a social scene and make premature judgements about others.

Just a thought!
Old 24-01-2018, 04:07   #2022

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi View Post
ok be nice to me guys... i'm giving this thread something to sink its teeth into

on being female: pet peeves, dislikes, preferences on a sailboat

1) if there is anything i dislike (beyond getting screamed at or fondled or worse - which has been already discussed here), it is being expected to cook (be the galley slave) because i'm female.

i do my share graciously and as a good hostess, but i've learned to set the boundaries as fast as i can. i also tend to wash up twice as much as my duties require to make up for any short-comings

but the truth is that, whereas many women love to cook, i actually feel anger inside of me when i'm expected to whip something up in the galley, for the guys (and i'm often the only female), especially during a sail. when sailing, i want to sail too...

2) not having my share of the helm and the decisions made there. whereas i'm a happy first-mate and am ready to climb the mast, clean the bilges and the boat, change the impeller, the filters, switch out the propane tanks, grapple with the anchor, the dingy... lots of stuff..., i'm working on becoming more comfortable at the helm in different situations.

i was sailing each day on a hobbie cat a couple of summers ago and was paired with a young guy, and the guy never let me steer the bludy boat! after a couple days of thinking that he'd realize that he'd had his share of the tiller, i came to believe that he was a young macho and had to simply put my foot down. but then, when i finally got to steer, he then back-seat steered (like a panic-ass) and near drove me nuts!!! and it wasn't because i was bad at it, it was because he felt insecure if he wasn't the one in control. i asked for another partner and got one (thank goodness).

3) i took some group sailing lessons years back (here in france), and the instructors didn't realize it, but they spoke directly to the guys on board while sailing. they (two different instructors during different courses) would look directly into the eyes of the guys on board when delivering the important (responsibility stuff) info. i probably would not have noticed but, because i hear less well than others, i tend to look at someone directly (especially in the wind) as so much can be read in the face and mouth. after a while...

4) just two days ago, on another website, i noted that there was a discussion following a post that read "the man who doesn't lose sight of the shore, ...he... "
and a few female sailors popped in with light-hearted comments pertaining to the 'he' and hinted at the possibility of 'she' as in "coo, coo, we are here too". most were taking it as fun but some guy had to write, IF SHE'S COURAGEOUS ENOUGH...

lots of women are not especially adventurous, granted. lots of women are not especially courageous when it comes to getting into blue water, granted, but this guy was responding to female sailors ...

5) smells... of all the natural boat smells, it is the mildew smell on plastic that doesn't sit well with me... as far as "manly smells" go, Ann responded well to the question, but there are definitely different types of skin smells. this is probably best left a mystery. however, i will say that added cologne and deodorants or loud soap smells are a definite turn off. diesel and oil smells are better because they smell like a boat. i've never tried neoprene though... Gamayun seems to be suggesting that it might be worth go...

6) decoration: i'm a bit of a minimalist and a purist who sticks to the 80% clean rule. yet, i cannot stand flowery prints or "girly" stuff decoration (you know the flowery prints that often come wit the older moodys? gah!), but the same goes for neon lighting. for me, below needs to be cozy and inviting. it is nice when the project is done, and it feels and looks like a boat again. that said, i'm particular about tools. tools need care and to be well-stowed. i like having a handy box and get frustrated when tools are unfindable. having a boat with a tool room, with a mini bench, with a vise would thrill me silly! that's the hard thing about small boats...
You can navigate and steer the boat, I will cook and wash the dishes. Fair enough? The rest, we shall share.
Per the vise, I totally agree with you. A place to secure the manual food grinder too.
You can have 1/2 of a small hanging closet and a drawer. This is the same space I have allowed myself.
The rest of the spaces seem to be devoted to spare parts and other necessary boat related stuff.
Old 24-01-2018, 04:14   #2023
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
You can have 1/2 of a small hanging closet and a drawer. This is the same space I have allowed myself.
Ahh.. thats where it all fell apart... good try but no cigar..

Old 24-01-2018, 04:16   #2024
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I wonder what the difference between a male owned boat and a female owned boat is?
Purple Engines..
Sorry Beni.. could not resist..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 04:20   #2025

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ahh.. thats where it all fell apart... good try but no cigar..

Well then, if you can rearrange the 'necessary stuff' to afford yourself more room, do it.
I still want 1/2 the closet and a drawer.
I am flexible.
Unless you are going to do most of the cooking, we are going to discuss and agree how to reorganize the galley and cabinets.

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single