Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 07:34   #211

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
women's mind: 13 reasons you should never date a sailor...

You want fulfill 13 cliches (as man + sailor) as following and documented on the blog of Claire Shefchik? - If so, dont wonder why women keep away...

Claire's latest blog couple days ago (20th October) has the headline:
"13 reasons you should never date a sailor"

Quote:
1. You’ll mistake a sailor’s boundless enthusiasm for sailing for boundless enthusiasm for you.
I mean, there’s nothing more romantic than sitting perched on a deck box, shoulder to shoulder, watching a sailor’s skillful hands shape those endless bowlines and stoppers as he explains his methods... bla, bla, bla...

2. Sailors mansplain and make you feel stupid.

Carrying all that ancient seafaring knowledge around with them, sailors are invariably wicked smart and can teach you things about currents and tides and maritime regulations that will leave your head spinning... bla, bla, bla....

3. You won’t always be able to accompany him on his exotic windswept adventures.
The Galapagos? Zanzibar? Sri Lanka? Antarctica? They’re all at your fingertips with a sailor at your side. Of course, like the rest of us, you live in the real world... bla, bla, bla...

4. Sailors party harder than anyone.

Why wouldn’t they, when they just spent a month at sea stone cold sober, working 12-hour days? However, you may find the bacchanal ending abruptly when he flips the dinghy trying to get back to the boat at 4am after one too many Windhoeks... bla, bla, bla....

5. That postcard he’s frantically scribbling isn’t really to his mother.
Yes, a “girl in every port” is a saying for a reason, but it’s not that simple. If there’s anything a sailor likes more than having a girl in every port, it’s having a girl he’s known since high school to joyfully meet him when he gets home.... bla, bla, bla...

6. Sailors think differently about monogamy than us landlubbers.
Speaking of that “girl in every port” thing, how is it cheating when you know you’ll never see the person again, and when his girlfriend could never possibly find out? ... bla, bla, bla...

7. Sailors are uncivilized.

Hey, after two months at sea, crammed into a testosterone-fueled cabin with no contact with the outside world, you’d go feral, too. ... bla, bla, bla...

8. You won’t always share their sense of humor.

Sailors are hilarious, it’s true — they’ll crack you up with jokes they honed sitting in the wheelhouse during those endless night watches. But when you — or your body, or your sexual habits... bla, bla, bla...

9. Don’t expect to be whisked away on a luxury yacht as a reward for sticking around.
Sailors’ wages are always crap, and whatever money they do make goes on beer. Even if they do manage to save up enough money to buy their own boat (as all sailors are trying to do) chances are it will be a rotting hunk of junk, because boats are expensive to maintain... bla, bla, bla...

10. On land, be prepared to spend time in some dim, cramped apartment or trailer with no curtains on the windows.
Why bother paying for a nice house if they’re always going to be at sea, anyway?... bla, bla, bla...

11. Sailors casually joke about seeing prostitutes and see nothing wrong with it.

Despite the cliche, they may not always engage in prostitution, but they will definitely talk about doing so... bla, bla, bla...

12. They have their own language that unless you’re a sailor you could never hope to understand.
They will talk it with their colleagues endlessly while you’re in earshot, and forget to fill you in... bla, bla, bla...

13. You always learn the hard way that they belong to the ocean, they belong to the world — and not only to you.

Sailors live on their charm. In a pub, the sailor is the one everybody wants to be near. They can spin you yarns for hours from all the ports they’ve seen, all the storms they’ve battled, all the sunsets they’ve watched. Their hands are strong, adept and gentle, and when they look at you... bla, bla, bla...
Here to read the fully blog post:
13 reasons you should never date a sailor - Matador Network

I really wonder what is going in the mind of this "female land rat". She has nothing understood from real (sailor's) life I suppose and dreaming around to create "old stigmas and bad images" in 21st century.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 11:47   #212

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Don't you think it's time for you to start looking for a smaller sailboat & a nice 49 year old "girl" madly in love with you so she won't mind, in a few years, changing your senior citizen diapers Many ladies that age are better looking than you probably are & quite a handful in bed... Alcool & tobacco are the two best known sex downers... Look for a mormon girl & pray "god" (?), like I do, to die during your last orgasm
Not quite ready to die yet.

I still go to raves and can dance longer than most 19 year old girls.

No depends any time soon,.

Guess I'll just keep working through them until it clicks. Hookup culture is a bit of a downer, but oh well. Can't change the world. Can only change yourself.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 14:47   #213

Boat: Havsfidra 20

You don't have to die yet, but you could grow up...

Gil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 15:38   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Too old to be a dad now.

These variables make it harder as well. Looking for one that doesnt want new kids. Maybe they could have one. Idk. Really depends on the individual.

I'm just trying to maximize my potential of meeting new people and this seems like a good way to do it while enjoying travel still.

Money? I own a couple businesses I can run while i travel.
So use the couple of biznezzmoneytofinish boaty-sell it and get a little harbor 54 and go nuts
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 15:42   #215

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I shouldn't argue this with you, but I will ... for a moment. Snap Chat and Instagram are NOT the right places. Try a nice art museum, and look for the women with GOOD fashion sense and REAL pearls.

Finally, if your ducks are super "mofo" lined, then sell the project cat, fly first class to Newport, Rhode Island, buy a big beach house with a dock, mooring, a new 50'-foot cat, and a new Porsche to cruise to the coffee shops each morning. You'll find some quality women there. I guarantee that they will say "YES!" when you ask "Want to go sailing for six months?"
Can't say I agree with the OP or this post. Why would any man want to impress a woman with material value. Is a gold digger what you want?
Stop giving women so much power. Treat the opposite sex as an equal...not some polyester disco queen. In any relationship both people should bring something to the table. I love these relationship ads..."Looking for someone without baggage". Really?...like they have none? Or "I'm 5'1" looking for someone over 6' ". Insecurity issues?
Just let happen what is suppose to happen and in the meantime work towards being the person you want to attract.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 16:29   #216

Some you salty dudes are not impressive when it comes to your conception of females. Fellas this is the 21st century...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:43   #217

Quote:
Thread was at a bit of a breakdown moment. Those who have built large catamarans can understand.

Sticking with the boat. In transit with it right now.

Still, much of the thread is true. I left 2 fantastic girls behind up in winter wonder land. They had too much going on to follow. A third who I'm not as into keeps asking to fly down asap.

On of the 2 fantastic ones is flying in with friends early November and will spend some time with me.

Pretty sure both good ones in winter wonderland will be waiting when I get back. One said there is no doubt about it.

Problem is... they are not travelers or people who like to drift around.

We'll see what happens in fl this winter. The girls in south Florida tend to be a little more open minded, in general, about boats and travel. Did meet 2 in north Florida recently, but they are, again, stuck. Most of the girls I meet seem to be enrolled in school.It keeps them from going places.
Unbelievable...after 200+ posts, you have heard nothing and continuing down the same road.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-10-2015, 18:00   #218
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Unbelievable...after 200+ posts, you have heard nothing and continuing down the same road.
You might want to re-read the first post? The OP hasn't sold the catamaran he has so much invested in, and hasn't bought a box truck to live and travel in. So far, he's making good on some advice, although he hasn't landed the babe of his dreams just yet....... hang in there. She's out there.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 18:10   #219

Then you're missing the point. It's not about "Her" and getting to a place where this even come up. Never give someone so much power that you change for them.
Old 25-10-2015, 05:08   #220
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, geoleo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 19:20   #221

Quote:
I do about $200k in income.
Quote:
just normal 1%er stuff.
Am I the only one that noticed "about 200k" isn't even near a "1%er"? I have a few friend's with parents that do that in a month and don't even brag about it.

Single young guy here that just bought his first boat and is going to be living aboard and cruising starting 2017. I feel that if you want to cruise, cruise. Girls love sailboats, hook up with hot townies at local spots when you're anchored, take them with you for a week or so then fly them home. Also, use some of that cash and just get your boat finished, money talks!
goeielewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 19:27   #222
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

You can try cruising the homeless shelters. Ive heard the chicks are easy there
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:44   #223

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Akprb, wrong type of mission person...his mission is "undercover" sorry, I couldn't resist the pun. I am weak that way.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:55   #224

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

After following this post on and off for some time now....I just think he is trolling and chumming the waters when he gets bored. It is fun to see some of the action he gets to some of his posts...

Have to admire that in some sort of sick way.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 23:57   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have a colleague who's wifes account is topped up to $40K a month. That is just for incidental expenses.

They now have a large motor yacht. Were going cruising this year but she didnt like the colour in the interior decor so it went back to Holland and is being refitted.

A case of a man wanting a trophy wife and being prepared to pay the price.

Oh well. Otherwise sensible. I have to wonder though.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single