Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06   #46

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
For clarity... this is the "box truck" I'd get. I think it looks nice... no?

Just out of curiosity, why not the camper versions of the Sprinters vs. the box trucks? Stupidly expensive I know, but as an RV you can get 30-year financing, and then there's always the used market. I know you say it's for you to travel overland in and not for the gals you hope to date, but the box truck just looks like another project to make it liveable.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Dump the 50 foot albtross of a boat. You don't have enough funds, time or health to finish it, let alone sail it. Plus it sounds like your not really a sailor anyway. If you enjoyed sailing and harbor hopping, then I recommend buying a smaller boat, say a nice 36 foot anything. Ton's O women sailing with guys on 36-40 boats.

Don't see the panel truck working real well for you. Sure one night stands, but for a month or a year, your going to need something that shows a tad better.

Don't mess with the panel truck. Get a small used and clean class C RV for $20k and take it on the road. You'll be Waaaay head in the game with that, rather then a panel truck. You can get the first date with a panel truck, but not the third. No way, no how.

Heck, Buy a harley and take it on the road. Most women will think your a doctor or lawyer then.

The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you.

Alas most women who love boating are over 45-50. Very few 25-35 year old women what anything to do with boating or RV's. They have to get that whole married with children thingy out of their systems first.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:12   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
For clarity... this is the "box truck" I'd get. I think it looks nice... no?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREX View Post
Hi 2hullvenus,
Really understand your entire deal. Great empathy. Lots of solid advice given. My 2 cents: I did both. Found a love, 17 years strong now. She loved living on the boat, much smaller boat than yours, and loved sailing, but not a cruiser. So we bought a trailer and did work camping. Bought a nice motorcycle, for my need of wind, and travelled and worked. Found the camping community to be very much the same type of friendly folk as sailors. Money always an issue so bought a nice trailer sailor. C-27. Selling that now to upgrade my Goldwing. Will keep my Venture of Newport for fun. My point is I'm done with the tremendous increase in owning a big boat. Maybe you are too? Like to travel but true sailing woman are just not in abundance. Compromise no, simply Content with less to do more with a perfect love. I've sailed a lot of places, travelled the country and met so many cool people, have my personal ride to get away. Driving a motorcycle with or without my lady through places like Moab and Arches national park, Durango, entire Southwest, Rockies... is very satisfying and fills my somewhat emptiness of the open sea. I was a liveaboard 100 capt in Florida for years. I'm positioning again now and have learned boating, biking, camping, travelling in various ways is simply more fun than just the constant sailing grind. Versatility is the spice. Do it all brother! Sell big buy small and own your life and share your soul. Woman are everywhere and you can be too. Enjoy all the fruits, just don't become one. IMHO. Good luck...
This!!! Exactly!!!!

This is what I want to do.

I go with my younger girl friends to festivals. I want to do burning man, hard festival, Coachella, see all sorts of different things other than light houses and channel markers. Go hiking, mountain biking, woofing, etc...

I figure I can just charter a boat for myself and whoever when I have a need for the ocean.... or drive up to it.

Honestly, your setup sounds fantastic. I'm wanting to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you for shining a little validation on my thoughts of change.

It's really hard to let go of the sea, but when the alternative sounds as awesome as your setup,it seems much easier.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:14   #50

A woman's viewpoint:
sounds like midlife crisis. Sounds like you are more committed to your self-image as a hottie-magnet stud than you are to sailing or meaningful relationships. Okay then. If that's following your bliss right now, go for it. Move to Hottieville - the nearest big city with a college- and blissfully chase hotties. And 5 years from now when you realize just how meaningless that is, you'll be back on this forum looking for a boat, complaining about how you can't find a woman who wants to sail with you. Uh, dude. They are all busy following their own bliss, and that prob. includes being real.
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15   #51

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Here's a Mercedes that's ready to go! Leisure Travel Vans - Unity - Photo Gallery

Listen to Sailorchic "The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you."
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just out of curiosity, why not the camper versions of the Sprinters vs. the box trucks? Stupidly expensive I know, but as an RV you can get 30-year financing, and then there's always the used market. I know you say it's for you to travel overland in and not for the gals you hope to date, but the box truck just looks like another project to make it liveable.
Good point... and I'm tempted, but... I actually do like/enjoy creating things that don't take half a decade to do.

I can whip out a box truck systems/interior in 3 mos by myself. I like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Have done ot multiple times before. I don't even have to think. Just do.

Also, the exterior of RVs are (trying not to use offensive words to homosexuals or mentally challenged folks).... really poorly decorated. I want it to look cool like these do.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:26   #53

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Dump the 50 foot albtross of a boat. You don't have enough funds, time or health to finish it, let alone sail it. Plus it sounds like your not really a sailor anyway. If you enjoyed sailing and harbor hopping, then I recommend buying a smaller boat, say a nice 36 foot anything. Ton's O women sailing with guys on 36-40 boats.

Don't see the panel truck working real well for you. Sure one night stands, but for a month or a year, your going to need something that shows a tad better.

Don't mess with the panel truck. Get a small used and clean class C RV for $20k and take it on the road. You'll be Waaaay head in the game with that, rather then a panel truck. You can get the first date with a panel truck, but not the third. No way, no how.

Heck, Buy a harley and take it on the road. Most women will think your a doctor or lawyer then.

The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you.

Alas most women who love boating are over 45-50. Very few 25-35 year old women what anything to do with boating or RV's. They have to get that whole married with children thingy out of their systems first.
The Harley- funny. But you can find some very interesting and adventurous women to hop on the back and tour the country with you. The RV is the ticket. Women need a house, even if it is little and cozy. An RV can be a really comfortable way for women to have their house and go on a big adventure.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:29   #54

"Do what you love and they will find you."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I love to travel, not to muck around with fiberglass, epoxy, paint and other hazardous crap.

Always viewed boats as a great way to travel. Just not building one.

Box trucks don't affect my dating, though. I did the same with my last one as I do right now.

This is going to sound terrible, but im baring all here...

I meet about 1 new girl a day, narrow that down to 2 or 3 new dates a week. I narrow that down to only really cool ones who don't mind my van for example that I already did this in to a limited extent.

(keep in mind nobody knows anything about this until 3 rd date or so)

After all that narrowing, I still have a new girl every week or 2. They haven't been compatible or haven't been down with boats.

Several have been down for traveling in a custom RV, but the boat project prevented me from doing that.

Literally lost 3 to other dudes with RVs. No joke. They do want road trips and international travel. They care nothing foir boats, in my experience.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:31   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Here's a Mercedes that's ready to go! Leisure Travel Vans - Unity - Photo Gallery

Listen to Sailorchic "The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you."
Good lord that Unity is perfect!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:34   #56

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Come to think of it, I kinda liked the Sprinter vans better when they were sportin' the badging that just said 'Dodge'.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:37   #57

Boat: Catalina 30

After my first wife passed, I too spent my share of time in the bottom of a bottle then chasing tail. It was fun, and it served a purpose at the time. But after a while I realized neither really made me truly happy. 'Nubile Young Females' are not in it for YOU, they are in it for what you can give them.

If working on a boat is a chore and not a labor of love, Sell it. If you really don't love being on any boat, then get an RV or something. If you just don't love being on THAT particular boat, think about selling the one you have and getting one that does not require that much work.

You can find a woman that will want to share the things in your life that you truly love to do. But first YOU have to know what they are.

Good Luck
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:45   #58

90% sure there is going to be one HELL of a boat going up for sale soon with "make reasonable offers" type pricing.

It's navigable as a power boat, has a galley and crew berth. Needs the interior done.

If I could have found one of these for sale, I probably wouldn't be where I am right now, giving up. I'm too sick of the work.

I want to travel and then do some little homesteading/farming stuff as i get older. I want comfort.

I think I am done, but will sleep on it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47   #59

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Quote:
Good lord that Unity is perfect!
Yeah, I thought you might like it. And, you don't have to spend months building it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51   #60

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

What she said! But you need to decide if you want to cruise the seas or just reconfirm your own hotness by landing the next hottie. Not sure you will be able to do that if by some misfortune you found someone who wanted to stay.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single