Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 13:54   #1201

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Is it wrong to complement a woman for her looks, with zero sleaze intent?
The safest thing to do is, look straight ahead, keep walking, say nothing and if she had any interest she will think you are a real dud and not worth talking to you.

With all this politically correct stuff and the real fear of a man being judged as a sexual predator for giving a lady an appreciative look and/or a verbal compliment, I am very glad I am old and within 5 years of death. SMIRK

I guess it is not PC to ask the woman if she want a ride in my windowless boat with puppies and candy in the back???? LOL
Old 01-12-2017, 14:15   #1202
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post

I guess it is not PC to ask the woman if she want a ride in my windowless boat with puppies and candy in the back???? LOL
[emoji1] ....I hope that layer of crust keeps you going for many many years!

But keep in mind that an elderly single sailor with a nice boat and possibly a large savings account, can easily be the victim here as well.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 14:34   #1203

Quote:
[emoji1] ....I hope that layer of crust keeps you going for many many years!

But keep in mind that an elderly single sailor with a nice boat and possibly a large savings account, can easily be the victim here as well.
Years ago, there was a college that expected all couples to sign a written "dating contract" prior to dating. It specified what is expected and agreed too. It was renegotiated prior to each date. Talk about a real downer....
And yes, it was promoted by a certain group of female college students. The media never did a follow up article so I do not know the success or failure of the imposed contract. I suspect the contract was a failure when a lot of female college student started going hungry and lonely.

Too many rules and no one will be willing to "play the game."
Old 01-12-2017, 15:18   #1204
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...olice-station/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 15:26   #1205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
[

The women certainly try... Usually after a short time, they want you to sell the boat and buy a house... that you can be screwed out of.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 16:27   #1206

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Hi Wayfarer.... Well said!

But I did not want to just focus on those Type A's other than the fact that young boys try to emulate them.

I am more interested in whether our social media should take a new look at legalizing Sex Workers as they are doing with marijuana.

I am quite sure these A types would manage their sexual demands far more efficiently, if that option was an accepted option.
I'm pretty sure that sexual predators, rapists and pedophiles are wanting more than just release from pent up sexual feelings. For them it's not all about the sex. It's about exerting power, fear and harm. Sure they could pay a prostitute, and I'm sure they sometimes do, but that won't satiate their emotional goal to control.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 16:43   #1207
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I'm pretty sure that sexual predators, rapists and pedophiles are wanting more than just release from pent up sexual feelings.
I don't think anyone would argue that those sick f**ks need jailing and hopefully help!

I am thinking more about the frustrated man or woman who has no socially acceptable sexual outlet, that would benefit from a socialy legalized and accepted sex worker, who could provide then with a stigma free release.
Old 01-12-2017, 16:51   #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Talk about political correctness gone haywire !

There are a lot of beautiful things on this earth that I appreciate. Any number of these things might cause me to comment on the beauty before me. Although the following will get me in deep trouble with the politically correct crowd I will suggest the following: If a woman does not wish to be 'assaulted' by men appreciating what they see before them, let them wear ear plugs or better yet, let them wear plain black full body coverings.
Just like a woman might feel 'assaulted' by sound, I might feel 'assaulted' by the visual sights in front of me! What gives a woman the right to claim 'assault' but if I were to complain I would be called a Neanderthal?

Let's reserve the word 'assault' for unwanted physical contact or severe examples of verbal abuse. Simply appreciating natures beauty is not 'assault'.
Yes, I am sure somebody will ask at what point you exceed 'appreciation' and get into more aggressive territory. I have no intention of debating this but a simple whistle of appreciation is not assault in my books.

Here is a bad example to get the politically correct crowd worked up: Would you walk into a tiger cage covered in steaks or would you prefer wearing a suit of armour instead?

I offer one last thought ..... I freely admit to enjoying a beautiful sunrise and watching it intently and maybe uttering the words 'wow', 'beautiful' or similar. I might even have to pick up my lower jaw from the floor ...... A sun rising behind an in penetrable veil of clouds and steady rain pouring down is not likely going to elicit any such response.
It's the difference between a tasteful genuine compliment on a persons beauty, given to an acquaintance or yelling profanities at a women as she walks to work. There's a difference between tact and tasteless verbal abuse.

I understand that men are now uncomfortable and held under a spotlight/magnifier that they are unaccustomed to. It really doesn't feel good, does it? Now, take that energy and place your self in the shoes of women that have dealt with it since time began. I empathize with you really, it seems the pendulum is swinging too far, but in reality the pendulum just swings the equal opposite distance.
Old 01-12-2017, 17:17   #1209

Quote:
Many Women dress and perfume themselves to feel feminine and "attractive", but unfortunately, that often attracts some unwanted attention by a horny guy.....
There are arguments in our society today against blaming women's attire for male's lack of control. Further more women haven't designed workplace dress codes. Expecting them to wear heals and skirts? Men have historically dictated work fashion then blame the woman's appearance for their own lack of self control. absurd!
Old 01-12-2017, 17:20   #1210
CF Adviser

Quote:
There are arguments in our society today against blaming women's attire for male's lack of control. Further more women haven't designed workplace dress codes. Expecting them to wear heals and skirts? Men have historically dictated work fashion then blame the woman's appearance for their own lack of self control. absurd!
Yup!
https://youtu.be/pDM6i7B3lNM
Old 01-12-2017, 17:29   #1211

Quote:
Hi Ann,

I guess men view a whistle more contextualy.

A man sees a young woman, perhaps a neighbour, a friend, in a cute sun dress, walking by and gives a complementary whistle,.... She smiles, laughs, curtseys and walks on with an extra swagger in her step.

You are describing what could happen in a dark alley, or situation where the woman is at risk, regardless of the whistle.

Is my thinking still off here?

Is it wrong to complement a woman for her looks, with zero sleaze intent?
From an acquaintance or someone familiar, a whistle is normally taken as a compliment. Coming from strangers on the street, along with the usual slang and hand and body gestures is very, very creepy and intimidating.
The difference between "Whowho, Mary you you look great in that dress! I hope your interview goes well today" Compared to "Whohoo, Hey baby! I'd love to climb up your leg! (animated with hand/body/facial gestures) Seriously? You gents really are not sure where the line in sand lies?
Old 01-12-2017, 17:33   #1212

Quote:
Gadagirl, then there is the bathing suit. If I maybe permitted to paraphrase Dolly Parton, upon splitting her dress, 'It's like putting 10# of mud in a 5# sack.'
Old 01-12-2017, 18:02   #1213

Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue that those sick f**ks need jailing and hopefully help!

I am thinking more about the frustrated man or woman who has no socially acceptable sexual outlet, that would benefit from a socialy legalized and accepted sex worker, who could provide then with a stigma free release.
I am not totally against legalized prostitution. I'm just concerned about protections of those involved. Physically and emotionally. On one hand it might stem the tide of people trafficking and sexual slavery. On the other hand it might lure in the financially depressed. I would have to see studies on areas where it is legal first before making up my mind. My bias is that laying beneath men and/or women, that I don't get to choose, because it's like a restaurant, they enter and I'm next up to serve, just disgusts me. How could I expect another person to do that?
Old 01-12-2017, 18:29   #1214
CF Adviser

Yes, its not something you'd want your little sister to choose as a way of making a lot of money.

But a few have put themselves thru college and law school that way.

My hope is that with legal certification, proper pre-counseling would be required to make sure this was of their own free choice.

Forming their own sex worker association to provide a safe environment as opposed to
an organized slavery syndicate , which hopefully would go out of business.
Old 01-12-2017, 20:20   #1215
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Good article https://thinkprogress.org/sexual-vio...53f7ef00b/amp/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single