Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 13:12   #1531

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Robin, if you don't mind going the trawler route instead of sail, applications and pencils are on the table at the back of the room.
I prefer a trawler
I wouldn't be able to do a sail on my own so I want to be on something similar to what I will purchase
Robinschimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 13:17   #1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
If I may give a little advice; don't start off trying to fail. Not all men can be grouped in the dirty ole man role. I for one, would not be interested in a woman 20 years younger than I am even if she threw herself at me. I'm sure the majority of seasoned men on this site would concur. There's just too much drama, not enough in common etc to be worth the ego stroke of a fawning younger woman.

You've obviously been treated badly before, most people on this site are on their second (at least) go around, but if you go out into the world with prejudices such as; I'm too old to be attractive, *all men are a55holes*, etc, that's exactly what you will find.

Welcome to cruisers forum. Have fun with the process of moving to sea bound life. Relax and enjoy the transition. It is something you can do alone if you have to.

goat

*Okay, this isn't really wrong. My (working) theory is; all men are a55holes, all women are bitches, there are just people of varying degrees and you try to find one that doesn't have too much of that trait to live with.
Thanks sorry I don't really know how to navigate to site lol
But yeah I know not all are the same I'm putting the negativity behind me while taking the knowledge from the history lessons with me
Old 08-01-2018, 13:19   #1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You would not be the only unicorn. This is the reason I did not repaint the hull sides when I bought my boat - gives me one less thing to worry over when learning to dock a 38-footer. Lots of guys buy a boat without any knowledge. Why this is a no-go proposition for a woman is beyond me.... (Well, I do have my theories)

Welcome to CF, Robin!
Thank you! 😊
Old 08-01-2018, 13:31   #1534

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi Robin -

I'm a "bit" older than you but this whole sailing thing is my idea. I admit most women are going along with the spouse's dream and are very half hearted, but I've met more than a handful that are fully onboard.

I have wondered if I would be here if I was single and I think the answer would be yes, but I would probably be a dock queen, because A. I haven't had years of mechanical experience (although I'm making up for lost time now) and B. casting off the docklines on my own would be intimidating.

We bought this big boat because that was his condition for going, I would have been happy with my Pearson 365 - a simpler boat and easier to handle.

If I put myself into "single woman on boat" mode I think I might hook up with a younger man for fun, but honestly, if they don't remember music from the late 60's I think any meaningful relationship would be doomed. I can tell you that even though I'm over 60 I still get a lot of longing looks from single sailors of several different ages (younger/same/older) and those whose wives are dragging their feet.

Be yourself, let your enthusiasm show and you'll be as alone (or not) as you wish to be!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 13:35   #1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
...uh...just post a profile pic of your boat...and if you really want to, show us your engine compartment...thats "hot". I'll show you mine!
Lol have even bought the boat yet
Old 08-01-2018, 13:46   #1536

Learning to navigate this site is a bit confusing but I'm learning and so far you guys have been amazing as I thought boat folks would be as a general rule
I know this isn't the forum for this can you tell me honestly how much is the minimum monthly budget to live on a 36-40' power ...
I know the slip rents but I'm worried most about taxes and insurance and other hidden fees oh and maintenance...scared I can't do it financially
I would be able to buy a boat out right and my house mortgage would be covered but after that I'm on a slim budget .. have some possible income but don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched
What's the real number people
Old 08-01-2018, 14:06   #1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Hi Robin -

I'm a "bit" older than you but this whole sailing thing is my idea. I admit most women are going along with the spouse's dream and are very half hearted, but I've met more than a handful that are fully onboard.

I have wondered if I would be here if I was single and I think the answer would be yes, but I would probably be a dock queen, because A. I haven't had years of mechanical experience (although I'm making up for lost time now) and B. casting off the docklines on my own would be intimidating.

We bought this big boat because that was his condition for going, I would have been happy with my Pearson 365 - a simpler boat and easier to handle.

If I put myself into "single woman on boat" mode I think I might hook up with a younger man for fun, but honestly, if they don't remember music from the late 60's I think any meaningful relationship would be doomed. I can tell you that even though I'm over 60 I still get a lot of longing looks from single sailors of several different ages (younger/same/older) and those whose wives are dragging their feet.

Be yourself, let your enthusiasm show and you'll be as alone (or not) as you wish to be!
I did the younger man thing after I ended the twenty year thing and no thanks got that out of my system lol if I meet someone around my age or a little older that will be great but I no longer hitch my happiness to a man I'm going to do what I want and maybe a like minded fellow will happen along but I most want quality friendships and happy people
Old 08-01-2018, 14:21   #1538

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Robin, SailorChic34 and zeehag are doing it very low bucks, and zeehag, on Social Security. It can be done. It is mainly a question of your will and determination. SC has the advantage that she is an engineer by trade, and so, accomplished her engine rebuild more easily than some might. It is a little indiscreet to discuss dollars and cents on the internet, and may open you to some hazards.

Imo, there is no real reason you couldn't handle a sailboat, given what you have told us so far (there may be something unrevealed as yet). My advice would be, first learn to sail, and a dinghy will suffice for that, you just want to learn how to interact with the wind, and what you need to do to avoid collisions, there are expectations. Here on CF, there are many threads on avoiding collisions and the "Colregs." You can search for them and read... Then, as your remaining offspring becomes independent, you can re-locate, and get started on the next phase of your life, perhaps join a sailing club, etc. A little dinghy is possibly the easiest way to experience the fun of having the wind move you around. It can also be wet! ;-)

If you are content to learn the mechanical and electrical skills you'll need, whether you prefer power or sail, there is no reason it can't be done, but imo, sail will be more affordable over all, unless you are wealthy (or will be so).

Advice to you is to look at the smallest boats you could live with. The costs go up exponentially. There's a thread running right now, wherein someone has written that there's about 2k difference per annum for berthing between 30 feet, max, and then 30.1 to 40ft in his area. That's just berthing. As to things like blocks and winches, those costs go up with size, as well.

In order that this thread not be hijacked, maybe you'd like to start a thread, yourself, and specific to your concerns.

Ann
Old 08-01-2018, 18:51   #1539
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinschimming View Post
... the term douche bag comes to mind and it wouldn't matter if you have water or land under foot
Welcome to CF but why start with the bitter name calling?

We all go thru transitions in life, some that separates loved ones, some that brings them even closer together.

If the Sea teaches you anything, it is that you should adjust to the dynamics of tide, wind and weather, without resentment.
Same in Life.
Assuming a guy with a younger partner has the moral character of a Vaginal rinse, demonstrates an itch you really need to work on.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:48   #1540

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
I am a 42 year old single woman thinking about buying a boat to live on and renting out my house. Soo much to learn it's rather scary... can I really do it physically..financially??? Will I be in complete solitude or meet some cool like minded people ...
I looked up single men living on boats and it brought me to this ... so would I be a unicorn or am I too old to be counted lol 😂
Certainly not having to throw myself at a man bc he has a boat to hang out on nope not the "young nimble hottie" I'll have my own boat ...that is when I buy one lol
My opinion is if a guy prides himself on being able to attract very very hot way younger girls maybe he needs his ego stroked and scared he can't stack up to the wants and needs of a more seasoned woman ... the term douche bag comes to mind and it wouldn't matter if you have water or land under foot
With that attitude it's not really an age issue.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 21:55   #1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Assuming a guy with a younger partner has the moral character of a Vaginal rinse, demonstrates an itch you really need to work on.
Eyes.
Tearing.
Up.
Can't see.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 23:02   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Robin, SailorChic34 and zeehag are doing it very low bucks, and zeehag, on Social Security. It can be done. It is mainly a question of your will and determination. SC has the advantage that she is an engineer by trade, and so, accomplished her engine rebuild more easily than some might. It is a little indiscreet to discuss dollars and cents on the internet, and may open you to some hazards.

Imo, there is no real reason you couldn't handle a sailboat, given what you have told us so far (there may be something unrevealed as yet). My advice would be, first learn to sail, and a dinghy will suffice for that, you just want to learn how to interact with the wind, and what you need to do to avoid collisions, there are expectations. Here on CF, there are many threads on avoiding collisions and the "Colregs." You can search for them and read... Then, as your remaining offspring becomes independent, you can re-locate, and get started on the next phase of your life, perhaps join a sailing club, etc. A little dinghy is possibly the easiest way to experience the fun of having the wind move you around. It can also be wet! ;-)

If you are content to learn the mechanical and electrical skills you'll need, whether you prefer power or sail, there is no reason it can't be done, but imo, sail will be more affordable over all, unless you are wealthy (or will be so).

Advice to you is to look at the smallest boats you could live with. The costs go up exponentially. There's a thread running right now, wherein someone has written that there's about 2k difference per annum for berthing between 30 feet, max, and then 30.1 to 40ft in his area. That's just berthing. As to things like blocks and winches, those costs go up with size, as well.

In order that this thread not be hijacked, maybe you'd like to start a thread, yourself, and specific to your concerns.

Ann
Ty soo much! Ugh so much to learn
I like the idea of a sail but concerned with the physical work involved.
Old 08-01-2018, 23:27   #1543
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Ty soo much! Ugh so much to learn
I like the idea of a sail but concerned with the physical work involved.
The suggestion to start another thread regarding your thoughts and concerns with regard to your proposed boating life is a good one.

Firstly, we, as a community love to vicariously live the life of another in their quest.

You get to outline your confusions and worries, and the CF members who have experienced the same situations get to offer their own observations and solutions.

YOu have questions pertaining to:

Type of boat
abilities to handle types of boat
location or region iisues
costs
how to learn to sail
etc etc.

This is the best place to get information from thousands of members.

With a separate thread, it leaves you free to concentrate on boating and leave issues with men and relationships out of the picture. You can always come back to this one for discussion on that topic..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 23:55   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The suggestion to start another thread regarding your thoughts and concerns with regard to your proposed boating life is a good one.

Firstly, we, as a community love to vicariously live the life of another in their quest.

You get to outline your confusions and worries, and the CF members who have experienced the same situations get to offer their own observations and solutions.

YOu have questions pertaining to:

Type of boat
abilities to handle types of boat
location or region iisues
costs
how to learn to sail
etc etc.

This is the best place to get information from thousands of members.

With a separate thread, it leaves you free to concentrate on boating and leave issues with men and relationships out of the picture. You can always come back to this one for discussion on that topic..
Ok boating issues will be on a new thread now back to single men lol
Old 09-01-2018, 03:54   #1545
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

HI guys.

Just like to point out that promoting stereotypes and in a fairly offensive manner is not what CF is about. Respect is about all we have left to look after on the internet. Differences of opinion are fine and encouraged...but in a nice way.
Men and women are different. Our experiences between the sexes CANNOT be generalised as all men and all women do not fall in to defined roles and categories. I think it fair to say that there are some very nice men and some very nice women. More nice than not nice.

Discussing personal experiences is one thing. Denigrating all men who do things against our personal thinking on a matter is another.

We are better than that.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single