Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2012, 09:57   #46

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Single Handed Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Yes, In my case a 3.5 CF magic chef from home depot. Think it was $130
I tried using a dorm fridge and it just couldn't handle the summer heat. I could never keep it cold enough to be in the safe zone. It think it just didn't have enough power.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:09   #47

Mouse,
The Honda 2000 suitcase generator is quickly becoming a must have for cruisers. Solar and wind can only do so much. It will run a wide array of power tools. I charge my battery's at 60 amps using the really cool new Sterling charger. I plan on getting the Cruising RO water maker that will produce 30 gallons of water in a hour of Honda run time and charge my house bank at the same time. I also splurge occasionally and run the small marine a/c unit that just cools my bunk area. The Honda will run that for 6 hours on a tank and charge the battery's up to a 100% at the same time. The Honda is a must have for me
Chuck S/V Perrovida 1978 IF36

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Mine does not have a problem with 95-100 degree heat... I've seem some with Peltier effect thermoelectric thingy's that are worthless though.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27   #49

Boat: Pearson 31

Thanks SailorChic. I think mine was just not a good quality model. The cost of a 12V marine fridge is just so expensive. Of course, so is everything else that is "marine" branded.

Also wanted to send a thank you to Mouse for this great topic you started. I gained a lot from all the great advice you provoked.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:48   #50

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer757
Thanks SailorChic. I think mine was just not a good quality model. The cost of a 12V marine fridge is just so expensive. Of course, so is everything else that is "marine" branded.

Also wanted to send a thank you to Mouse for this great topic you started. I gained a lot from all the great advice you provoked.
I'm loving all the advice too. It's great to be able to learn from other people experience.
Old 06-09-2012, 14:01   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Actually my 120V fridge uses about 2.5 amps per hour. Sure it uses 14 amps (at 12V DC) when its running, but it only runs 2-2.5 minutes per 12 minutes. That's in the hot delta by the way. While everyone said it would not work, the blonde engineering chic, though otherwise.

Duty cycle is the key. A 12V fridge runs quite a bit, 20 to 40 minutes per hour. A 120V runs only a few minutes at a time and about 10 minutes per hour.

For a given size box the amount of BTU's extracted would be the same. So energy use in watts per hour would be about the same for the standard compressor design.

It works just fine, thank you very much, on the hook. I carry all my electrical loads with two solar panels (130 and 100 watts).
I sure like this news! I have not used 120V refrigeration on board since the mid-1980's and since I've gone to solar and wind without inverters, I'm keeping well with most all 12VDC. I'm never short of power though,- 'have the 7KW Kubota genset and we plug into a dock supply on ocassion. Thanks for the thoughts for using the less cycle time on 120V.
Old 06-09-2012, 14:42   #52

I Checked the Cruise RO water & power web site again. You can run the SM30 water maker, which makes 30/gal hour using the Honda 2000 generator and still have enough 120v power to put 40 amps into the battery bank. I have a 60 amp Sterling pro charger but using the remote keypad can reduce the output to 40 amps to keep from overloading the generator. Just love my Honda!
Old 06-09-2012, 14:49   #53

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Does she float? Make sure the hull and rigging is good and the rest falls into place. If you try to get to ready you will never leave

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:10   #54

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer757 View Post

Agreed!
Old 06-09-2012, 21:23   #55

Boat: csy 37

mouse -

i don't recommend setting up three battery banks. two is plenty. three will just increase your wiring and charging nightmare.

if you're buying batteries i highly recommend 6 volt golf cart batteries. they are made for heavy duty use and deep discharging and charging. to put them into your 12 volt system just take two 6v batteries and run a permanent heavy cable from one batteries positive post to the other batteries negative post. you now have 12 volt takeoff at the two remaining posts and you can treat the pair as a single 12 volt battery. we use a total of four golf cart batteries to give us 450 amp hours capacity. our last set lasted six years.

for a generator i own a honda 1000. the 2000 was only a hundred bucks more so price was not a problem but the 1000 fits in my lazaratte and the 2000 doesn't. still, it runs my 35 amp charger and could probably run a 45 amp charger if i had one.

a neighbor of mine uses that stand alone 12 volt fridge and likes it. think he paid about $700 and says it uses very little power. he keeps it on a quarter berth but hopes to somehow fit it into the space where his old built in fridge used to be.

we're almost 100% 12 volt. the only big 120 item we can't live without is the mini shop vac we use for a vacuum cleaner. that runs off our 700 watt inverter or the honda. even at a marina i don't bother plugging in to shore power. we also use inverters to charge phones, tools, razor, laptop computer.

and as capttman says, if you try too hard to get ready you will never leave.....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02   #56

Boat: Tartan 4100

I can't say enough about the solar. I have two Kyocera 135's and they keep up with things just fine and my battery bank is big enough to carry me through about two days of cloudy weather. I am in Virginia and I would venture a guess that in Georgia, you'll get a few more Ah's more in charging per day. I also have a wind genny, but it's an old Ampair that only puts out a trickle charge of 2 to 8 amps, but she sure is quiet.
I have recommended the french press on another thread here on CF and its an insulated 34oz version that satisfies two people nicely.
The Galley - Must haves, Don't Needs, Wish List

Music: I can't live without a good supply of tunes and I have a 160 GB IPod that holds all of my 700+ cd's plus you can download movies to it as well. It plugs into a USB on the stereo...no lugging around and storing cd jewell boxes.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05   #57
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Mine does not have a problem with 95-100 degree heat... I've seem some with Peltier effect thermoelectric thingy's that are worthless though.

I had a Peltier that I managed to make useful at the dock. It didn't cool perishable food to an acceptable level in the summer, but it kept produce fresher (the produce tends to get banged around in my ice bin. It kept drinks tolerably cooler. In the winter it was foodsafe.

However, it just didn't hold up and stopped working after about 8 months. I think they just aren't designed (at least the one I got at Wal-Mart) for continuous use.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39   #58

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie
I can't say enough about the solar. I have two Kyocera 135's and they keep up with things just fine and my battery bank is big enough to carry me through about two days of cloudy weather. I am in Virginia and I would venture a guess that in Georgia, you'll get a few more Ah's more in charging per day. I also have a wind genny, but it's an old Ampair that only puts out a trickle charge of 2 to 8 amps, but she sure is quiet.
I have recommended the french press on another thread here on CF and its an insulated 34oz version that satisfies two people nicely.
The Galley - Must haves, Don't Needs, Wish List

Music: I can't live without a good supply of tunes and I have a 160 GB IPod that holds all of my 700+ cd's plus you can download movies to it as well. It plugs into a USB on the stereo...no lugging around and storing cd jewell boxes.
Ahh, music. Good call. I'm a huge nerd and have a large collection as well. I love singing while I'm sailing.
Old 27-02-2016, 10:10   #59
WWV

This looks interesting, or at least like an interesting trend? Portable water maker. Still a little spendy but as competitors get into the market, prices should come down....

Rainman Desalination System - Sail Magazine

Not endorsing, just throwing it out there...

WWV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainman-pressure-unit-on-dock1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	119681  

Tags
single, singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: