Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 08:47   #76

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzamiller View Post
...I'm hoping to find a network of female friendly forums and resources to speed up my learning curve. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Don't limit yourself. The men whom I know are some of my biggest cheerleaders. These forums and YouTube are some of the best sources of info. "Female only" classes, while very friendly indeed, might not get you up to the speed you are looking for.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:57   #77

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
It's questionable if she really has the interest. There aren't that many tools involved so that's probably not the problem. I was super motivated but it still took me a week to get up the nerve to start draining fluids on my Yanmar after watching the videos and reading the manual. I then replaced the belts, impeller and cleaned the heat exchanger. Never had worked on an engine in my life. I did screw up when reinstalling the gasket for the new exhaust manifold. It's in the back, hard to get to, and when I tightened the bolts, the gasket slipped. The diesel soot left a real mess on the engine. I'm not adverse to taking it to the diesel mechanic and watching them fix something so I can learn myself, but again, I am motivated to know my engine because rarely does anyone else who sails with me. Maintaining fluids and knowing how to bleed the engine seem like the most critical things, but if someone doesn't want to get their hands dirty or smell diesel fluid, it likely ain't gonna happen. But if you think she does, then just stsnd back and let her do it. Don't jump in unless she really needs help. Better yet, go grocery shopping while she works on it. She'll learn by doing, not watching you. What's the worse that can happen . This isn't a female thing BTW. I know plenty of male skippers who have zero interest in working on their own engines!
There are plenty of male skippers that have zero knowledge or experience related to working on their own engines or even systems onboard.
And I agree with your point that desire and motivation are essential...there are plenty of folks that understand how important it is to be knowledgable, and have at least some proficiency, in all the many aspects of boat maintenance and repair...especially when far from familiar territory.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:39   #78

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

After reading some of the comments of this Forum over time if I was a single woman I an not sure I would admit it on here. Hey in fact I might be, who knows with internet anonymity!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:03   #79
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostgirl View Post
MarkJ I can come over and we can talk about this.
Great! I currently have a huge booze supply of top shelf stuff that I don't usually drink: Johnny Walker Double Black, Mt Gay XO Reserve and I was just given a bottle of French champagne.
So chat and drink anytime

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:41   #80

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Here is one more-although not truely single.
Living alone on my boat though.
My BF lives 800km away.

Can hardly wait to get back onboard.
Just relocated to Bremen (D).

Once the winter is over I will move back on board. At the moment its just to cold and the boat is on shore.
Slooooowly boat and cash is drizzling in so we can get cruising ready.

Shame it takes so long!

Hugs to all ;-)
Old 18-01-2016, 12:45   #81

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
I've a question for the ladies here. If you know your way around a tool box and engine how did you learn?

I've been tinkering with cars, trucks, bikes, boats, DIY etc since I could walk. I've done a nut and bolt rebuilds on a few 4x4 and probably used every power tool you can imagine in various jobs and projects. My partner is interested in learning boat and engine maintenance but has zero experience. I've been trying to include her in any work I've done recently but teaching makes a 2 hour job become a 4 hour job.

Any ideas on how to help her along? Getting a 'feel' for the tools takes years but I'm looking for a short cut to jump start the process.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hansky,

If she's really interested, why not encourage her to join CF and start a thread asking for herself, the questions you asked here?

I learned what little I know back in the days you could work on your own car, and being poor forced me to it. Had help from a boyfriend about what to put in my tool kit. Borrowed a friend's brother when I needed more strength than I had. Girls can ask for help. I also took a course at the local junior college.

As far I know, on your boat, you're the one in charge, and most women will leave you to it to do the work. If you want her to help or take over some projects, explain that you want to help her learn more, and that learning will come when she takes on the projects. If you're going to teach, in that role, make the first few projects easy to have success at. The fact that something works better some way after you have worked on it, is reward, and builds self confidence. Lots of boat maintenance is screwdriver or nutdriver and pliers work, the changing of hose clamps, and whatnot. Simple mechanical stuff to understand. Tell her how to do "x" and turn her loose to do it. Tell her you'll help if she needs it, but don't hover. Let her do any job she's willing to tackle, and don't keep all the fun stuff for yourself.

Ann
Old 18-01-2016, 12:52   #82

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
I've a question for the ladies here. If you know your way around a tool box and engine how did you learn?

<snip>

Any ideas on how to help her along? Getting a 'feel' for the tools takes years but I'm looking for a short cut to jump start the process.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I would assume that ladies learn mechanics just like non-ladies do.

Being taught by a knowledgeable person or in a class or just hands-on learning by doing it. So just let her do stuff.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:55   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

People who are competent in maintaining and operating complex machinery are much esteemed. During my college days my sister and I shared a Honda 55 Trail Bike that we both maintained. In 1969 I met my now wife of 45 years. She was riding a 350 Kawasaki. 'obviously "blew me away"! It's great to live in a society where people can freely decide what they want to learn and achieve.
Old 18-01-2016, 14:38   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I learned how to use tools from my dad. He could fix anything. I was his gofer since I was 6 ish years old. I would hang around watching what he did. So for me it came over about 10 years time frame. I have rebuilt my Yanmar also. Main thing is I use cheaters to break loose stubborn nuts and bolts. Though OK I had a guy help take part the %^&* torqued on crank bolts off. But I did the assembly all by myself. That was 2-1/2 years ago.

Like Hutson's wife, I too had a Kawasaki, a 500cc, in the early 70's. I still ride my 1979 goldwing now and then.

Being a frugal or just plain poor sailor, I do just about everything myself.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:43   #85

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I would assume that ladies learn mechanics just like non-ladies do.

Being taught by a knowledgeable person or in a class or just hands-on learning by doing it. So just let her do stuff.
You Tube. Don't forget You Tube, although best if combined with hand-on practice.
Old 18-01-2016, 14:45   #86
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In these days when it is politically incorrect to mention that there are in fact five natural genders (make, female, three types of hermaphrodite and yes, you've probably all met some of them without even knowing it) and then, let's see, if we add transgender surgery...what's that make it, some 25 potential genders out there?

The bottom line is that the majority of women have nesting instincts and the brains to know that living in a boat, without a community, without the security of place or family, is not a great survival concept for the species. So fortunately for the species, most women have the brains to want a and locked stable nest that can be feathered, and filled with family. Preferably with good schools and hospitals and other family relations within near distance.

Sorry, guys, but mother nature plays with loaded dice.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:56   #87

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
After reading some of the comments of this Forum over time if I was a single woman I an not sure I would admit it on here. Hey in fact I might be, who knows with internet anonymity!
Welcome to our world.

I have found, however, that forum comments don't always align with real people I meet day to day.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:10   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
.............. living in a boat, without a community, without the security of place or family, is not a great survival concept for the species. So fortunately for the species, most women have the brains to want a and locked stable nest that can be feathered, and filled with family. Preferably with good schools and hospitals and other family relations within near distance.

As a parent and a grandparent in a family of three generations living on boats I must strongly disagree. On board the three boats upon which my family members currently live we have a strong affiliation with our community (...and communities) with no less of security of place and family, education and health care available to those living on shore. It's typical for land based people to be suspicious of the potential for success within homes that are unfamiliar to them. Our 44 years of living aboard and cruising have not been a sacrifice of secure family life in any way.
Old 18-01-2016, 15:18   #89

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In these days when it is politically incorrect to mention that there are in fact five natural genders (make, female, three types of hermaphrodite and yes, you've probably all met some of them without even knowing it) and then, let's see, if we add transgender surgery...what's that make it, some 25 potential genders out there?

The bottom line is that the majority of women have nesting instincts and the brains to know that living in a boat, without a community, without the security of place or family, is not a great survival concept for the species. So fortunately for the species, most women have the brains to want a and locked stable nest that can be feathered, and filled with family. Preferably with good schools and hospitals and other family relations within near distance.

I have a far greater sense of community living at the marina than I ever did in my condo or the vast majority of my apartments!
Old 18-01-2016, 15:19   #90

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The bottom line is that the majority of women have nesting instincts and the brains to know that living in a boat, without a community, without the security of place or family, is not a great survival concept for the species. So fortunately for the species, most women have the brains to want a and locked stable nest that can be feathered, and filled with family.
For long term survival of the species, a lot less of filling of nests with heaps of family would be a great thing...

Jim

Tags
living aboard, single