Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 14:36   #61

Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
And my granddaughter(one of them) is over in Syria going after the bad guys. Her boat is about 700 feet long and is well armed. Go Marines!!
I salute your daughter.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:36   #62

Lot of bullock teams on Wall Street. Demand for a good herder is great.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:37   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I salute your daughter.
We leave a light on in our home every night and every day for her safe return.
Old 17-01-2016, 14:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
We leave a light on in our home every night and every day for her safe return.
PS: Granddaughter. Her mom is a surgeon at the old Walter Reed.
Old 17-01-2016, 15:18   #65

Boat: 2007 Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

MarkJ I can come over and we can talk about this.
Lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:22   #66

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I think that was me, but please re-read what I posted. Maybe I worded my post poorly - it isn't always easy finding the right words when writing in English. But even if worded poorly, I think it is clear that is not what I was saying - nor what I think- at all.

As I posted before - when sailing with 2 people (be it a couple or with a crew member), whatever works best for those involved is the way to go. Simple as that.
Sincere apologies if you thought I was referring to you in any way...I agree completely with your thoughts. As I usually do...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:27   #67

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There is 1 in St Martin. Probably 4 or 5 in the Caribbean islands.

Certainly no young adventourous types.

Its weird, feminists demand equality but won't do many things without a man.
"Demand equality?" Really? Yes, I require equal say in where our boat goes, and when, but I know I lack the physical strength to raise the mail sail in heavy winds or pull up the chain/anchor if power / windlass fails. So no, I won't be sailing if I were to lose my mate. But, I bet he would also swallow the anchor if I were out of the picture - because there have been many times when it took two persons on board to get the boat safely on her way.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 19:42   #68

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

In my area of Florida there are quite a few single female liveaboards and cruisers. ages run from 20's to up into 70,s. Some sail, some like power boats. hope that helps you.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:08   #69

Boat: Searay 260/ Leopard 40 2015

First post ever on this site.

Its funny and scary for me to learn how few females take on the joys of the sea/water.
I'm planning to run a sailing cat charter down BVI's starting Jan 2021 after my Moorings contract ends. I'm already lining up customers and are running 4-5 trips a year until "go live" date with my limited vacation time.

I'm hoping to find a network of female friendly forums and resources to speed up my learning curve. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The good news for me is that there should be lot's of single men around!
cozzamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:15   #70

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

I've known many liveaboards, but only several lady cruisers.

It's not a popular stance, but females are different. For all the "vive la difference!" jokes, females are all too willing to play the sex appeal game with their clothing, hair, and cosmetically "enhanced" presentation. Women in business want equal pay and so forth, but if I'm writing the checks the gals getting equal pay will get it for their work, and not the length of their skirts, amount of cleavage, or how their butts move on stiletto heels.

Give me the gal in T shirt and shorts that can tie a bowline.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:55   #71

I've a question for the ladies here. If you know your way around a tool box and engine how did you learn?

I've been tinkering with cars, trucks, bikes, boats, DIY etc since I could walk. I've done a nut and bolt rebuilds on a few 4x4 and probably used every power tool you can imagine in various jobs and projects. My partner is interested in learning boat and engine maintenance but has zero experience. I've been trying to include her in any work I've done recently but teaching makes a 2 hour job become a 4 hour job.

Any ideas on how to help her along? Getting a 'feel' for the tools takes years but I'm looking for a short cut to jump start the process.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:11   #72

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welcome to CF, cozzamiller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzamiller View Post
I'm hoping to find a network of female friendly forums and resources to speed up my learning curve. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Not sure what a "female friendly" forum is - most forums I know have members that'll happily answer questions, no matter if the poster is male or female.

When people are a little less then friendly, it's usually because the poster is asking a question before doing a(ny re)search and/or without giving the info needed to answer the question
Old 18-01-2016, 08:16   #73

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
if I'm writing the checks the gals getting equal pay will get it for their work,
Which is how it should be, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
If you know your way around a tool box and engine how did you learn? // I've been trying to include her in any work I've done recently but teaching makes a 2 hour job become a 4 hour job. // I'm looking for a short cut to jump start the process.
I learned by doing, and asking those willing to teach.
You know, the men with a decent knowledge and little patience

There are some great books out there, and a few YT video's worth watching (careful tho, many "how to's" are well intentioned, but should be titled "how not to" )
Old 18-01-2016, 08:23   #74

My girls started out playing "doctor" with their teddy bears and my old surgical kit. Then it went on to fixing up old sports cars I gave them when they hit their teens. Cars needed work. Thus incentive to learn. First car was a jag xk150; next was an old mg-tf; final one was a triumph tr-3. Key was not to buy something that could be driven right away but needed fixing first. Worked for all three kids. Also meant that I got three nice cars after they went away to college. Of course that was over fifty years ago.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:25   #75

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
I've a question for the ladies here. If you know your way around a tool box and engine how did you learn?

I've been tinkering with cars, trucks, bikes, boats, DIY etc since I could walk. I've done a nut and bolt rebuilds on a few 4x4 and probably used every power tool you can imagine in various jobs and projects. My partner is interested in learning boat and engine maintenance but has zero experience. I've been trying to include her in any work I've done recently but teaching makes a 2 hour job become a 4 hour job.

Any ideas on how to help her along? Getting a 'feel' for the tools takes years but I'm looking for a short cut to jump start the process.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's questionable if she really has the interest. There aren't that many tools involved so that's probably not the problem. I was super motivated but it still took me a week to get up the nerve to start draining fluids on my Yanmar after watching the videos and reading the manual. I then replaced the belts, impeller and cleaned the heat exchanger. Never had worked on an engine in my life. I did screw up when reinstalling the gasket for the new exhaust manifold. It's in the back, hard to get to, and when I tightened the bolts, the gasket slipped. The diesel soot left a real mess on the engine. I'm not adverse to taking it to the diesel mechanic and watching them fix something so I can learn myself, but again, I am motivated to know my engine because rarely does anyone else who sails with me. Maintaining fluids and knowing how to bleed the engine seem like the most critical things, but if someone doesn't want to get their hands dirty or smell diesel fluid, it likely ain't gonna happen. But if you think she does, then just stsnd back and let her do it. Don't jump in unless she really needs help. Better yet, go grocery shopping while she works on it. She'll learn by doing, not watching you. What's the worse that can happen . This isn't a female thing BTW. I know plenty of male skippers who have zero interest in working on their own engines!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, single