Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 12:00   #46

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl
Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

There is a female posting on this thread that seems to imply that women who allow themselves to be "relegated" to doing what she considers to be menial tasks are of a lesser status than their husband/partners. That is astounding to me on a couple of levels, not the least of which is how terribly demeaning it sounds.

Without question, the strongest people I have ever known in my long life are women. Starting with my [deceased] Mother, who would endure absolutely anything to protect her offspring, through many long associations with likewise strong, enduring, resilient females, to an ex wife who put her entire life on hold to travel a very long distance to pick me up at a hospital, take me to my boat and spend two weeks helping me back on my feet. To me that is a kind of strength only found in the female of the species.

I have known two women who cruised solo, and many who live in marinas; and countless women who seem to be perfectly content to let the less intelligent, but physically stronger men do the "heavy lifting". I take that as a sign of intelligence, not being relegated to some imaginary lesser role. The two ladies who sail full time are competent sailors, navigators, boat handlers, yet seem willing to allow local men to "help" them at haulout. Again, a sign of superior intelligence, not necessarily a sign of personal weakness.

To all the women out there who are proud to be women and take pride in whatever their role in life, or onboard, is I have nothing but the deepest admiration and affection for. I wish I could be half the person you are...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:15   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
It is indeed a rare event. Dirty old men's fantasies to the contrary. Just like you find few men who have pink bedrooms with satin sheets. Each to their own. Men drink alcohol while women binge on chocolate. Yes, they really are different.
You are clueless. I am sure you have no idea how sexist you are. I am sure I can drink you under the table. I've had adventures including surviving being kidnapped in the mid east and attempted kidnapping by four gunmen in South America. I have gotten my hands dirty doing search and rescue among rubble and dead bodies. I've kicked in the front door of a burning house and pulled out from the top floor of smoke filled burning home and elderly veteran. At the age of 13 I dived into the surf off the Australian coast to give aid to 5 persons caught in a rip and going under. I was able to get them to tread water and try to float until the surf rescue boats arrived. I could say more but I think I have said enough. I am a women. My bedroom is not in pink with satin sheets. And I do not belong on land in the kitchen.

You know what you can do. ...... can't say more or I will upset some people.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:19   #48

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Curious or looking? There is a singles group here created to help folks find a sailing/cruising partner.
Single sailors seeking soul mates :-)

I've lived, singlehanded, and crewed on boats since I was 19,owned 9 or so boats, now in my early 40s married to a sailor I met here at CF. I planned to cruise singlehanded but actively looked for my hubby, thankfully I found him. Solo is fun but life is a million times better with my best friend.

The single female population in the live aboard community is low but growing. My best answer to why it is low, is it ( boating) is not very welcoming to women. That is changing, so the population of single women is growing.
Old 17-01-2016, 12:44   #49

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

I sure hope sailing never becomes like some other segments of society. As in if you're a certain sex or skin color you should believe x.
Freedom in all thoughts and deeds, for everyone. In other words, "to each their own."
Eta: I still wish we had a "like"
button. Some really good posts
here. Lol
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:45   #50

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
There is a female posting on this thread that seems to imply that women who allow themselves to be "relegated" to doing what she considers to be menial tasks are of a lesser status than their husband/partners.
I think that was me, but please re-read what I posted. Maybe I worded my post poorly - it isn't always easy finding the right words when writing in English. But even if worded poorly, I think it is clear that is not what I was saying - nor what I think- at all.

As I posted before - when sailing with 2 people (be it a couple or with a crew member), whatever works best for those involved is the way to go. Simple as that.
Old 17-01-2016, 13:06   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Curious or looking? There is a singles group here created to help folks find a sailing/cruising partner.
Single sailors seeking soul mates :-)

After the last few posts I don't think anyone is interested anymore in soul mates.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:11   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Maybe I worded my post poorly - it isn't always easy finding the right words when writing in English.
Liz, your English is one hell of a lot better than most of the posters here! I'm sure impressed...

Jim
Old 17-01-2016, 13:46   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

began sailing age 7, on hudson river in an antique named eleanor, a 1903 clinton crane 36 ft gaff rigged raceabout. our teacher was our mommas uncle, a survivor ov navy tallships and merchant marine tallships and steamships, captain phil. he graduated kings point after sailing in navy, rtw in both steam and sail and had much to teach and many to whom to teach his information.
so. sola on sailboats, eh?
how about sola cruising out of usa ... there are a few of us here in barra de navidad.
and even more other ports.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:51   #54

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
After the last few posts I don't think anyone is interested anymore in soul mates.

Ha, can't blame a gal for trying :-).
Old 17-01-2016, 13:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
You are clueless. I am sure you have no idea how sexist you are. I am sure I can drink you under the table. I've had adventures including surviving being kidnapped in the mid east and attempted kidnapping by four gunmen in South America. I have gotten my hands dirty doing search and rescue among rubble and dead bodies. I've kicked in the front door of a burning house and pulled out from the top floor of smoke filled burning home and elderly veteran. At the age of 13 I dived into the surf off the Australian coast to give aid to 5 persons caught in a rip and going under. I was able to get them to tread water and try to float until the surf rescue boats arrived. I could say more but I think I have said enough. I am a women. My bedroom is not in pink with satin sheets. And I do not belong on land in the kitchen.

You know what you can do. ...... can't say more or I will upset some people.
Oh dear!! Well you are the exception. Few folks, male or female,can match your abilities and experiences.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ha, can't blame a gal for trying :-).
Soul mates is sooo yesterday. Try Friends with Benefits. Its replaced the soul stuff. Also cuts to the chase.
Old 17-01-2016, 14:15   #57

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Liz, your English is one hell of a lot better than most of the posters here! I'm sure impressed...

Jim

Lizzy Belle,
And your attitude is a lot better than many of the posters too.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:22   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
my 20 yo daughter is currently a single liveaboard in las palmas.........at least I hope she is and hasn't shaked up with a rasta .............
And my granddaughter(one of them) is over in Syria going after the bad guys. Her boat is about 700 feet long and is well armed. Go Marines!!
Old 17-01-2016, 14:25   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I think that was me, but please re-read what I posted. Maybe I worded my post poorly - it isn't always easy finding the right words when writing in English. But even if worded poorly, I think it is clear that is not what I was saying - nor what I think- at all.

As I posted before - when sailing with 2 people (be it a couple or with a crew member), whatever works best for those involved is the way to go. Simple as that.
Lizzy Belle, that was not about you. It was about Wonder Woman and her amazing adventures.
Old 17-01-2016, 14:34   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Oh dear!! Well you are the exception. Few folks, male or female,can match your abilities and experiences.
Thanks. But truly I don't see myself as an exception. Just found myself in some interesting situations. I had a great grandfather who was owner captain of a merchant clipper from the Netherlands/Brabant. He ended up being shipwrecked off the Western Australian coast. My grandmother owned and captained a passenger sea ferry in the Gippsland lakes of Victoria, Australia. Seafarers and pioneers are in my genes. Like so many here on CF. There are many strong women and men. Maybe it was my upbringing but strength of character and determination was never a male female thing. I had great role models of both genders in my family. Women who could swing an axe and drive a bullock team in the bush and be as hard drinking as any of the men. Thanks for the compliment. But I don't see myself as being any different from the millions out there who fight battles bravely everyday with strength of character.

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, single