Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 14:49   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Somehow I can't find the groups
Do you have the link maybe, or know where to find the group?
TIA!
No, Lizzy, I don't know, but zeehag does! Why don't you send her a PM, and see what she says? It has lots of S's in its name.

Ann
Old 16-01-2016, 15:16   #17

Lizzy, Ann is referring to the Social Group named 'Single Sailors Seeking SoulMate' or SSSM - hence her reference to the bunch of S's. It's open to single male and female sailors and is managed by zeehag.

There is a Social Group exclusively for women named the 'Mermaid's Group'. This one is for gals only. Discussions range from Roots to Recipes.

For both you need to have your 'About Me' section of your profile fairly complete.

The links can be found under the Community tab and then go to 'Social Groups' and search for the group that interest you.

Hope this helps.

Connie
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 16:19   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

I am a single woman, a singlehanded sailor and a solo adventuress (travel, camping, etc.). I don't live aboard full time yet; only about 2-3 nights each week. Plans are always fluid, but am gearing myself and the boat up for more offshore racing and longer ocean passages. Sometimes people only see what they want to see -- couples tend to see and interact with other couples, while I am constantly amazed at the number of single, active, and adventurous women I know who are probably evenly divided between straight, gay and could care less (in case you're wondering why we don't have a guy). And contrary to MarkJ's provocation, as well as the fact that there are more than 3 billion women in the world, it would be wise not to place us into one biased lump of thinking
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 17:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
adventurous women(people) I know who are probably evenly divided between straight, gay and could care less
I could care less...
If you are competent and willing to share your experience your welcome,
If you like to quote other "experts" and are a cybersailor don't bother...
All other agendas please see the exit.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 18:48   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I am a single woman, a singlehanded sailor and a solo adventuress (travel, camping, etc.). ...more offshore racing and longer ocean passages.
Good, we can have an adventure challenge of recent adventures and see who is the most whacky.

Where are you racing?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

my 20 yo daughter is currently a single liveaboard in las palmas.........at least I hope she is and hasn't shaked up with a rasta .............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:10   #22

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
Lizzy, Ann is referring to the Social Group named 'Single Sailors Seeking SoulMate' or SSSM //There is a Social Group exclusively for women named the 'Mermaid's Group'.
Thanks so much, Connie!

I misunderstood, I thought the group was for single female liveaboards - not looking for a soulmate I'll see if I can find the Mermaids group.
Old 16-01-2016, 19:10   #23

There are 2 single women here in the 1000 Islands I know of.....one keeps her boat in our marina.

She comes up here from the warm climates by RV and spends as long as she can here every summer and goes back south in the fall.

She has a 33' Carver and solos it all around the great lakes.

When she was married she and her husband had a 40 something sailboat which they lived on and spent time both here and the south. After he passed she went to a power boat because she felt the sail boat was too much for her to handle.

She's a fabulous person with lots of tales about traversing the oceans by boat.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:46   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
There are 2 single women here in the 1000 Islands I know of.....one keeps her boat in our marina.

She comes up here from the warm climates by RV and spends as long as she can here every summer and goes back south in the fall.

She has a 33' Carver and solos it all around the great lakes.

When she was married she and her husband had a 40 something sailboat which they lived on and spent time both here and the south. After he passed she went to a power boat because she felt the sail boat was too much for her to handle.

She's a fabulous person with lots of tales about traversing the oceans by boat.

I met the one with the sail loft. She does an a female crew in regattas. Seemed a pleasant person.

Owns a Morgan.👍
Old 17-01-2016, 09:05   #25

Boat: Island Packet 420

Here's one. I have not in my travels met other female solo cruisers, but hear they are out there. I don't know why that is except perhaps lack of confidence. I find many women who sail with their husbands and are relegated to line handling and cooking, not building much confidence for handling the boat solo.

I have spoken to groups of women sailors who sail but just lack confidence to go out alone.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:21   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
my 20 yo daughter is currently a single liveaboard in las palmas.........at least I hope she is and hasn't shaked up with a rasta .............
When my daughter was 20, she was sweet, virginal and innocent.

Ahhhh... who am I kidding. She was probably as depraved as her father was at that age, but she's my daughter, so of course dad can't think of her in 'that way'.

And for a follow-up, I present you rainbows that started as unicorn farts.
Old 17-01-2016, 09:33   #27

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I find many women who sail with their husbands and are relegated to line handling and cooking, not building much confidence for handling the boat solo. // I have spoken to groups of women sailors who sail but just lack confidence to go out alone.
Same experience here - most like sailing, some not so much, but in both cases usually hubby does all the boat handling etc. and she'll take care of the cooking, cleaning and line handling etc.

I don't agree with 'being relegated' tho -- most women are more then fine with things are they are, cos for some reason (mostly lack of confidence or interest) they don't WANT to sail or dock the boat. If they're not, they can speak up and learn

There are several sailing schools here that have courses that are 'women only' - both teaching sailing classes and boat handling. So even if they don't feel confident having hubby-dear hovering over them when they take the wheel, they can learn w/out him even being there.

I think every couple should figure out for themselves what works best for them, but ... both adults should be able to at least get the boat back to the marina safely. You never know when something might happen and you HAVE to sail that damn boat all by yourself. Better to learn before that happens ...
Old 17-01-2016, 09:40   #28

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Yup, that never ceases to amaze me; a big burly guy holding the wheel and barking orders to a 110# woman trying to hold the boat off of the dock.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:47   #29

Boat: Caliber 40

On my my dock and the two adjacent docks (120 slips) there are five single females who live aboard. Three of them have been here for over 10-years. Two of them are very active in the racing scene and are highly sought after as crew persons.

A sixth woman lived here, alone on her boat, for many years until she recently married and moved ashore. She had grown up living on boats. Her family had sailed from Hawaii to the US West Coast and Alaska many times. She had lived aboard in Hawaii, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and California.

I had never thought it unusual to see single females living aboard a boat.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:49   #30

Boat: Island Packet 420

I have taught sailing for recreation at a navy base. I always tried to separate couples, although sometimes it couldn't be done or they would refuse. Typically the woman would end up being satisfied with only mastering crew type responsibilities and leaving decision making and planning to the husband, who was happy to take on the role. I always felt that was a disservice to both. I realize there are lots of exceptions. When I talk to a man about singlehanding, sometimes the reaction I get is that I like to be in control. I find that a rather sexist comment, is it assumed the man has to be the skipper all the time?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, single