Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 11:24   #136
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
Brain fog, brain fog, brain fog. Been dealing with too many Sextons lately with Church, and have not used a sextant in several years. Been on the farm too long, time to get back to the sea. I am working on closing down the farm and have put an offer on a boat this week.

Meant OPEC. Brain fog again. Please forgive my brain fog spelling. Time for me to go "warsh" the egg off my face.
Don't worry yourself about a couple of misspellimgts we all knew what you were on about
Old 25-10-2012, 11:40   #137

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I actually knew a sexton who could use a sextant. Could also ring out 8 bells from the steeple at St John's.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:48   #138

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I actually knew a sexton who could use a sextant. Could also ring out 8 bells from the steeple at St John's.
Sure is a lot of sex talk going on here!
Old 25-10-2012, 12:34   #139

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Some sextons might be very handy at boat repairs.
Old 26-10-2012, 12:37   #140
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
A sailboat with a good rig and good sails and mechanical self steering system can go anywhere any time. What do you really need an engine for on a boat? What do you really need electric for on a sail boat? If you have a couple hundred pounds of grain on board and plenty of dried meat, or frozen meat and know how to dry it, and a few gallons of good oil, olive and coconut oil, then you have enough food for a year. Green can be grown and also picked off land. Do you really think the government is going to blockade the mouth of every bay and river after an EMP? Most of their equipment won't work. I think their priorities will not be stopping a few self sufficient sailboats from leaving. If one has a steel bucket, a pressure canner and access to shore with forest, and some tubing, then one can have an unlimited supply of fresh water.

Iran controls, or could control the shipping points of 60% of the world's oil shipped by ships. They can shut down most of OPEX's oil shipments. If that happens, then we are looking at $20 a gallon gasoline.

A steel boat's electrical system can not survive an EMP if the electrical system is grounded to the haul.

IMHO, any sailor who depends completely on having electrical system working on his boat 100%of the time is a fool. Paper charts are required for area being sailed on my boat. Sexton required if crossing more than 100 miles of open water. I would consider sailing from Bristol RI to Norfolk without sexton, but to me that is coastal sailing, knowing I can always turn starboard and hit land. GPS can fail, I have heard from friends, how they have lost both their built in GPS and hand held GPS. Also satellites can be turned off.

For me Prepping is a personal event thing, not just a world wide event thing. People do loose their rigs, engine, and electrical systems at sea one thousand miles from land and take 60 days to get to land or rescued. If I have food aboard for six months, then the only issue is water, with a tank load of diesel, I can rig up some type of stove burner to distill sea water. A stove burner can be made with a soup can by cutting a slot in the top and stuffing part of a cotton shirt into it full of diesel fuel, like a wick on a lamp and setting it in a steel bucket with pressure cooker full of sea water with tube on vent of cooker on top of burner in bucket. Hang the bucket by it's handle and you have system which will work in a rolling sea giving one all the fresh water needed for drinking and washing face every day for a very very long time.

Like in the above example, prepping is not about fearing the possibilities but about being prepared to meet the unexpected and thinking outside the box. After all, when most people lose their jobs, that is often a SHTF event for them.
Without prepping my boat she has
Oil lamps, a windvane and a diesel engine that I can hand start (decompress both cylinders, wind it at the fastest speed I can with the starting handle and drop one of the decompressors and she will start and run on one cylinder then drop the other decompressor and away she runs [I have actually done this on one occasion when the engine battery faild, it was really hard work but it's good to know that you can start the engine with no battery]). I have allways used paper charts. Circumnavigated 1990 to 1993 using sextant (OK GPS & Loran & Radar were also used but I could manage without) we even have a lead line with a depression in the bottom for tallow!
If SHTF happened we would head off and I know of many destinations with a small population and a nice waterside location with spring water and food resources available, these are at locations where pretty-much only sailboat owners know about and were able to get to, Most motor boats and ships would be out of operation. Plan B is I have relatives in Canada.
The only problem is I don't keep my boat fully stocked with dried foods etc, but maybe in the future I will.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:59   #141

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
If SHTF happened we would head off and I know of many destinations with a small population and a nice waterside location with spring water and food resources available, these are at locations where pretty-much only sailboat owners know about and were able to get to, Most motor boats and ships would be out of operation. Plan B is I have relatives in Canada.

If those are not on Active Captain already could you please put them there so I can make a note of it.

Thanks.
Old 28-10-2012, 12:17   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just look around - most sailors do not know where the wind blows from. When the shore world goes boom, they will not survive more than a week.

If you want to improve your chances of surviving (whatever this might mean) a SHTF scenario then I say get guns and learn well to use them.

b.
Yeah, when the SHTF, I'm taking my shotguns and shells to the boat along with my portable thrower. At least then I'll be able to shoot trap off the stern.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:22   #143
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
If those are not on Active Captain already could you please put them there so I can make a note of it.

Thanks.
I've not heard active captain before looks quite interesting, however I'm not sure if I want thousands of people I don't know clogging up the ancorages (or is this just selfish) also a lot of them are quite remote and off the beaten track.
Old 30-10-2012, 17:21   #144

Quote:
I've not heard active captain before looks quite interesting, however I'm not sure if I want thousands of people I don't know clogging up the ancorages (or is this just selfish) also a lot of them are quite remote and off the beaten track.
+1

I rarely told anyone about that great ski area that didn't have lift lines!

The boat's a "fallback" in case of...

Has water, lights, oil lamps, rum, some food, and a place to sleep. As long as I can find a store with more rum, we should be OK.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:33   #145

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:

You gotta be kidding. You don't want all these folks clogging up some destinations you just now heard of? And you have to ask if this is selfish?

And whining that they're remote and off the beaten track?

WTF!

Where's the vomit emoticon?

If you mods support this bs, just give me that 3rd strike.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:36   #146
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
+1

The boat's a "fallback" in case of...

Has water, lights, oil lamps, rum, some food, and a place to sleep. As long as I can find a store with more rum, we should be OK.
Sounds just the job, Mines a fallback too.
Old 30-10-2012, 17:41   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

my biggest concern would be finding somewhere free from zombies,mutant monster fish,anacondas,sites know for alien abduction.........preferably with an abandoned military base nearby,that is still stocked with guns,food medicine,and half naked women that need my help..................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:53   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
You gotta be kidding. You don't want all these folks clogging up some destinations you just now heard of? And you have to ask if this is selfish?

WTF!

Where's the vomit emoticon?

If you mods support this bs, just give me that 3rd strike.
Wow - take a pill...

Every old captain I know in Asia has a book of sketches. Getting a copy is like pulling hens teeth.

I got no problem with that. If I wanna private destination I should go look for one.

I got vacation spots in Asia - One beer/BBQ joint in a grass hut on an almost deserted beach. I don't post those places on the internet.

And no it's not Bali, Phuket, Cebu, Langkawi or any place you can find on Orbitz...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:57   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I find it ironic that we spent Sat and Sun prepping our bug out boat to survive Sandy.

So in the closest thing to a disaster, it was a point of concern.

All is well, just funny. And glad to be back to my old comfortable worries.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:14   #150
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

WTF! Where's the vomit emoticon?
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.
Therapy had asked me to post the destinations (my destinations) onto Active Captain if they weren't on there allready. And I wasn't whining that they were off the beaten track I was mentioning it because I was not sure if other people really wanted to know. So these places are not places I have just heard about.