Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 05:21   #91
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: SHTF and Boats

For the nay Sayers of the SHTF preparedness, it stokes me that you are self defining a particular situation and assuming the boat will be a Water World venture. Not so.

The SHTF boat is likely your regular boat, with some thoughtful mods or preps.

In event of a short term power loss, live at dock.
If that turns to social unrest stand off until things cool down.
If things get really bad, look for an alternative landing location that is less threatening. You may not Lind nor, but you may.

It is all about flexibility and keeping option.
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 05:32   #92
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll take even money bets up to $1000 that the world is basically the same after Obama's second term.
I sincerely hope we never get the opportunity to test that theory.
__________________

__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 05:33   #93
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
As being VAT registered I can confirm that VAT is charged to everyone. VAT is then reimbursed to people/companies who are registered. That way, only the last person in the line will end up paying it.

So company 1 makes plastic and charges VAT to manufacturers who buy the plastic
Manufacturer charges VAT to retail suppliers who buy the product
Retail suppliers charge VAT to retail outlet
Retail outlets charge VAT to the end user (if applicable)

Company 1 can claim back VAT
Manufacturer can claim back VAT
Retail supplier can claim back VAT
Retail outlet can claim back VAT
End user cannot claim back VAT

Or that's how my accountant explained it to me.
Your accountant explained well.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 06:14   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beaufort, SC
Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Posts: 308
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll take even money bets up to $1000 that the world is basically the same after Obama's second term.
Fortunately, we won't have to find out.

Scott
__________________
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 06:26   #95
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
For the nay Sayers of the SHTF preparedness, it stokes me that you are self defining a particular situation and assuming the boat will be a Water World venture. Not so.

The SHTF boat is likely your regular boat, with some thoughtful mods or preps.

In event of a short term power loss, live at dock.
If that turns to social unrest stand off until things cool down.
If things get really bad, look for an alternative landing location that is less threatening. You may not Lind nor, but you may.

It is all about flexibility and keeping option.
Very sound wisdom.

I am not much of an EOTW or SHTF worry-wart. When I think of the boat in those terms I think of it mostly as a preparedness plan for a personal SHTF scenario such as loss of job and needing to relocate, damage to or loss of home, or our current area just becomes unlivable for us for some reason.

In a true large scale SHTF situation though I just can't imagine casting off in order to save my own hide when we have kids, grandkids, brothers and sisters, cousins, and so many dear friends that also would be dealing with the situation. Sitting in a secluded anchorage wondering how the kids are doing back home just wouldn't be an option for me. (And our extended family and friends are in sufficient numbers that we would need quite a large ship to bring everyone we really care about.)

Instead I think I would be more compelled to try and bring everyone together and organize us as a family unit so that we could a) pool our resources and ingenuity to help provide for each other and/or b) combine our strength to protect each other. Among our family and friends we have many military, cops and hunters. I think I would rather trust my fate with them than to a strange harbor where God knows what awaits.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 06:30   #96
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: SHTF and Boats

in the event of serious disruption of the money supply your "black economy" will flourish,leaving a truly capitalistic system!

War waged on Europe's
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:03   #97
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In the hills south of Nelson, NZ
Posts: 82
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
As being VAT registered I can confirm that VAT is charged to everyone. VAT is then reimbursed to people/companies who are registered. That way, only the last person in the line will end up paying it.

So company 1 makes plastic and charges VAT to manufacturers who buy the plastic
Manufacturer charges VAT to retail suppliers who buy the product
Retail suppliers charge VAT to retail outlet
Retail outlets charge VAT to the end user (if applicable)

Company 1 can claim back VAT
Manufacturer can claim back VAT
Retail supplier can claim back VAT
Retail outlet can claim back VAT
End user cannot claim back VAT

Or that's how my accountant explained it to me.

In New Zealand and Australia it is called GST, Goods and Services Tax.

Just like VAT it is levied on the increase of value of the item, from raw materials to finished good, or services rendered to carry out a task for monetary value.

Basicly Capital Gains Tax on stock as opposed to fixed capital assets.
__________________
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:09   #98
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In the hills south of Nelson, NZ
Posts: 82
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in the event of serious disruption of the money supply your "black economy" will flourish,leaving a truly capitalistic system!

It's a good thing CF doesn'thave "political correctness filters" like some sites, that culd ave endd up as the "African-American Economy"

Through to be hoest, ecnomicly depressed ghetto zones are probably some of the most vibrant black economies, along with rural farming areas.

As a farmer back in NZ, we'd swap half a cattle beast for two pigs, or a dozen bales of hay for a fewbags of left over seed. Gubermint saw no tax on those transactions, anymore than they saw a few baggies of powder swapping for a bunch of x-boxes and ipads.
__________________
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:17   #99
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi303 View Post
It's a good thing CF doesn'thave "political correctness filters" like some sites, that culd ave endd up as the "African-American Economy"

Through to be hoest, ecnomicly depressed ghetto zones are probably some of the most vibrant black economies, along with rural farming areas.

As a farmer back in NZ, we'd swap half a cattle beast for two pigs, or a dozen bales of hay for a fewbags of left over seed. Gubermint saw no tax on those transactions, anymore than they saw a few baggies of powder swapping for a bunch of x-boxes and ipads.
lol! wrong type of "black".......most afro- black economies are black anyway,as collecting tax would be a nightmare when you have so many street traders.tax revenues are generally levied on foreign companies plundering natural resources......and happy to pay direct to the ruling parties swiss bank a/c of choice.........thus completing the circle of"black economy" at governmental level.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:26   #100
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
lol! wrong type of "black".......most afro- black economies are black anyway,as collecting tax would be a nightmare when you have so many street traders.tax revenues are generally levied on foreign companies plundering natural resources......and happy to pay direct to the ruling parties swiss bank a/c of choice.........thus completing the circle of"black economy" at governmental level.
Well said ... whoohoo BP ... the classic example of stuff you jack, so what if we have left swathes of destruction in the ocean or rain forests! Oops, I hate "green" fighters but BP are one of those that make me want to support them.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 16:19   #101
Marine Service Provider
 
Cacique's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Boat: Vancouver 27
Posts: 234
Re: SHTF and boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
can't wait,shapening my pitchfork as we speak......nothing like a good revolution to restore the balance............
LOL

Re Vat..........
The forestry comission sells the trees to the logging company and charges VAT.
The forestry comission claim the VAT back and sell the logs to the sawmill and charge them VAT.
The sawmill claim back the VAT and sell the wood chips to the pulp manufacturer and charge VAT.
The pulp man' claims the VAT back and sells the pulp to the paper man' and charges VAT.
The paper man' claims back the VAT and sells to the bag man' and charges VAT.
The bag man' claims back the VAT and sells the bags to the wholesaler and charges him VAT.
The whole' claims back the VAT and sells the bags to the retailer and charges him VAT.
The retailer claims the VAT Back and gives the bags away!!!
RESULT all that paperwork (Xcuse the pun) and net result Zero
__________________
Cheers Jamie
http://www.sailingcacique.com/
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 16:58   #102
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: SHTF and boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
LOL

Re Vat..........
The forestry comission sells the trees to the logging company and charges VAT.
The forestry comission claim the VAT back and sell the logs to the sawmill and charge them VAT.
The sawmill claim back the VAT and sell the wood chips to the pulp manufacturer and charge VAT.
The pulp man' claims the VAT back and sells the pulp to the paper man' and charges VAT.
The paper man' claims back the VAT and sells to the bag man' and charges VAT.
The bag man' claims back the VAT and sells the bags to the wholesaler and charges him VAT.
The whole' claims back the VAT and sells the bags to the retailer and charges him VAT.
The retailer claims the VAT Back and gives the bags away!!!
RESULT all that paperwork (Xcuse the pun) and net result Zero
That is sort of how I interpret it. Other than just being another way to tax people for being alive.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:06   #103
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: SHTF and boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is sort of how I interpret it. Other than just being another way to tax people for being alive.
QE is a very quite way of stealing from the people by governments......notice how 6 months later politicians want to put up expenses to keep up with inflation
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:14   #104
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: SHTF and Boats

It appears that this thread has been hijacked and is now the VAT thread.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:17   #105
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
It appears that this thread has been hijacked and is now the VAT thread.
i guess the SHTF
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.