Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 18:48   #151

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: SHTF and Boats

On further review, it appears I may have erred in a recent assessment of a post or two. In addition to profound apologies, I also offer:

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:58   #152

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.
Therapy had asked me to post the destinations (my destinations) onto Active Captain if they weren't on there allready. And I wasn't whining that they were off the beaten track I was mentioning it because I was not sure if other people really wanted to know. So these places are not places I have just heard about.

And I forgot to put a grin.

sorry.

Old 31-10-2012, 08:43   #153

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
"know thy enemy"......................
"We have met the enemy and he is us". A quote from the comic strip Pogo which you may or may not be familiar with.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 08:58   #154
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Fascinating. Seems that every time we have a hurricane >Category 1, somebody starts an end-of-the-world thread.
Old 31-10-2012, 17:36   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Fascinating. Seems that every time we have a hurricane >Category 1, somebody starts an end-of-the-world thread.
Thank you so very much!!!
I have just had a breif check on these posts and now it seems I have about 800 more posts to read, thank you again. if only you hadn't posted the list I would be none the wiser, now I will haveto look at the posts and no doubt I will have to add my 2 cents which means it gets worse. There are only 24 hrs in a day and I do have a job and so little time, but thank you again (I hope you are getting the British satire).
Old 31-10-2012, 18:03   #156
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
(I hope you are getting the British satire).
Having attended a British university at the postgraduate level, I can assure you that I don't get British satire.
Old 31-10-2012, 18:55   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Having attended a British university at the postgraduate level, I can assure you that I don't get British satire.
I attended a British University but only at Graduate level and I do get British satire........although I suppose the fact I'm a scouser helped a little! lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 19:22   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There seems to be a pattern appearing. It seems the Brits understand the British satire and the rest of us need to "goggle" scouser to keep up with the conversation.
Old 31-10-2012, 19:54   #159

Haha sorry, a scouser is a native of Liverpool, United Kingdom. A scouser is also (wrongly) portrayed as a scally (thief, troublemaker)

Go anywhere in the UK and ask what a scouser is, you will be told a "tyre robber", a thief, a hooligan or a thug
Go anywhere in the World and ask anyone who has visited Liverpool what the people of Liverpool are like and you will be told "warm", "kind", "welcoming"

I'll let you make up your own mind about scousers whilst I sneak out and steal the wheels off your car!!!! (The last sentance was British satire lol)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:13   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
"We have met the enemy and he is us". A quote from the comic strip Pogo which you may or may not be familiar with.
i like it,see below, and with reference to bash's difficulty in understanding british satire and humor,un-less you were beaten as a child,preyed upon by peadofiles in positions of authority,have a stiff upper lip,a chip on your shoulder and come from a lower middle class background,suffered rationing till 54' , dillusions of granduer and you have been,as a 7 year old at boarding school, forced to spend hours outside on a muddy rugby field in the rain chasing a ball round by sadistic house masters,it is something you will never understand!
etc .....

bash you have our sympathy!,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_(comic_strip)

Kelly's characters are a sardonic reflection of human nature—venal, greedy, confrontational, selfish and stupid—but portrayed good-naturedly and rendered harmless by their own bumbling ineptitude and overall innocence. Most characters were nominally male, but a few female characters also appeared regularly. Kelly has been quoted as saying that all the characters reflected different aspects of his own personality. Kelly's characters were also self-aware of their comic strip surroundings[citation needed]. He frequently had them leaning up against or striking matches on the panel borders, breaking the fourth wall, or making tongue-in-cheek, "inside" comments about the nature of comic strips in general.

It's difficult to compile a definitive list of every character that appeared in Pogo over the strip's 27 years, but the best estimates put the total cast at well over 1,000[citation needed]. Kelly created characters as he needed them, and discarded them after they served their purpose. Occasionally he reintroduced characters under different names (such as Mole or Curtis) and other inconsistencies, reflecting the fluid quality of the strip. Kelly continually tinkered with his creation to suit either his whims or the current storyline. Even though most characters have full names, some are more often referred to only by their species. For example, Howland Owl is almost always called "Owl" or "ol' Owl," Beauregard is often called "Houn' Dog," Churchy LaFemme is sometimes called "Turtle" or "Turkle" (see Dialogue and "swamp-speak"), etc. The following list is necessarily incomplete, but should serve as a rough beginner's guide:
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:41   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Brilliant except...

Butcher receives E100 in income and gov wants 30% tax
Pig farmer receives E100 in income and gov wants 30% tax
Publican receives E100 in income and gov wants 30% tax
Prostitute doesn't report income
Hotelier receives E100 in income and gov wants 30% in tax

So tourist arrives with E100 and the government wants to collect E120 from the community.

And that's how governments work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sales tax in Greece is 30%? No wonder they have a problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
While both posts bring a smile to the cheek , neither are of course true.

Dave
Not sales tax, INCOME tax. This is exactly how it works in real life. By the time the same $100 circulates through the economy, government does in fact collect over $100 in taxes from that same $100 of GDP
Brian in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:47   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll take even money bets up to $1000 that the world is basically the same after Obama's second term.
When Romney wins, do you automatically lose/ forfeit your bet???
Old 31-10-2012, 20:54   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
As being VAT registered I can confirm that VAT is charged to everyone. VAT is then reimbursed to people/companies who are registered. That way, only the last person in the line will end up paying it.

So company 1 makes plastic and charges VAT to manufacturers who buy the plastic
Manufacturer charges VAT to retail suppliers who buy the product
Retail suppliers charge VAT to retail outlet
Retail outlets charge VAT to the end user (if applicable)

Company 1 can claim back VAT
Manufacturer can claim back VAT
Retail supplier can claim back VAT
Retail outlet can claim back VAT
End user cannot claim back VAT

Or that's how my accountant explained it to me.
That is why your governments are more broke than ours. Our government charges income tax at each level, so the added value (we call it profit) in each item sold is taxed at 25 or more percent to each of the 5 levels of distribution in your example. Then we also pay about 10% in sales tax at the end. Add to that the fuel taxes charged on each gallon of gas or diesel used by the shipping companies. As I stated, each $100 of GDP is taxed more than $100 by the time the product finally makes to the end user.
Old 31-10-2012, 21:08   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Az View Post
That is why your governments are more broke than ours. Our government charges income tax at each level, so the added value (we call it profit) in each item sold is taxed at 25 or more percent to each of the 5 levels of distribution in your example. Then we also pay about 10% in sales tax at the end. Add to that the fuel taxes charged on each gallon of gas or diesel used by the shipping companies. As I stated, each $100 of GDP is taxed more than $100 by the time the product finally makes to the end user.

eeeerrr wrong!

usa is more broke than the uk and eurozone combined!

America's Debt Is Greater than Entire Eurozone's (and U.K.'s) Combined Debt | The Weekly Standard
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 21:16   #165

But as long as they maintain enough cash flow through excessive taxes, they can put off the collapse.

The european banks simply ran out of cash first