Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2007, 12:52   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
For a solar shower bugspray unit this one cannot be beaten.....

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply

Old 25-09-2007, 16:38   #17

We didn't have a shower on our boat of 7 years either, and found that the solar showers are ok if you're only weekending, but they don't hold up very well long term. We used one of the hard plastic bug sprayers as well, one that held 2 or 3 gallons and we changed out the nozzle to one of the typical kitchen sink sprayers. We could pump it up and then get 30 seconds or so of spraying before it needed more pumping. We painted ours black and would leave on deck for an hour or two in the sun before showering. The next boat will have a shower down below, showering in the cockpit all the time is not something I miss.

Old 25-09-2007, 16:57   #18

We have a sower on board but, especially on hot days, find that a shower with the bug/weed sprayer in the cockpit after the sun goes down is more enjoyable. Not as humid and close as when you are wrapped up in the shower curtain. We have a black sunbrella bag that we use to store it in on deck during the day. By the end of the day it's usually nice and warm, but if needed we just heat up a little water on the stove to add to it. Just a gallon or less of water is all it takes for pretty decent shower.
Old 25-09-2007, 17:12   #19

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
We have a shower aboard. A lot of water is used and the inside of the boat is filled with moisture after a rinse. Florida is humid enough without adding any more moisture to the inside of the boat. A PVP pipe rectangular frame with canvas sides set in the cockpit would afford privacy and keep the moisture outside. The frame could be as large as your cockpit could handle. Just a thought.
Old 25-09-2007, 18:48   #20
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
we have a pan with the drain running to a battery box converted to a sump with float switch and small bilge pump. The fridge drain also goes here. We heat our water with heat exchanger from engine when underway or we can heat with12v element in water heater. It also gets heated when batteries are hot by a diversion regulator that pumps the extra current into it from the wind gen and solar.
Old 25-09-2007, 20:06   #21

Rangiroo... Hey that looks great. Whats the flow and usage on it per shower?
Old 26-09-2007, 09:03   #22

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
it is simple, you need 2 jerricans-one for salt water, and one for fresh water. you hang them halfway up the mast. you use the salt water first, and at the end, you use about 6 liters of freshwater. try it, it is great.
Old 26-09-2007, 09:16   #23

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
With a wife and 4 daughters along with myself and a son, I have been wondering about the shower situation also. There are a lot of great ideas here. Now I am confident that we will have the shower going soon also.
Thanks all for these great ideas

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 10:26   #24

Boat: Stevens 47
Hey Greg...I have no idea...but that one looked the best value to me...I researched Solar showers a while back because I wanted to save power and water and that was the best one that I came across for on a boat. My Stevens 47 has 2 showers on board in the heads but I wanted a cheap alternative for a warm water shower....I have no qualms about showering on deck if there are no people around....where I'm headed I am expecting to have numerous oportunities to use a deck shower.....
Old 26-09-2007, 10:43   #25

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
I've spent decades avoiding putting a shower on any boat I owned. The last time I was cruising in the tropics, it was a bucket of sea water, soap up, more sea water, and then a bike water bottle of fresh water to rinse. Now that we have three kids, I was 'persuaded' to put in a pre packaged sump, and we use a Delta 750 lav faucet with a pull out spout (obviously it takes a pressure water system) so I didn't have to add a shower head and hose to hang and get in the way. I find I use it more than the rest of the family combined.
Old 26-09-2007, 12:58   #26

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hi Talbot
Just checked Rinnai site. Doesn't seem to mention boats. Which unit do you use and is it good or just so so.

Steve
Old 26-09-2007, 13:03   #27

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Rinnai work great, I have one in my house, but they need 110v for ignition, and don't carry marine approval.
Old 26-09-2007, 13:22   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
If you're getting a weed sprayer for showering make sure you get a black one. The water really heats up well in them. They work better than the sun showers, only drawback is it needs a bit of room to be stowed.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 14:59   #29

Shiva cam with a GRP shower pan in the head. On top is a removable teak grate which serves as the sole. There is a pump which drains the pan and also has a Y valve so it doubles as a bilge pump.

Our shower head is a removable hand shower which serves as the lav faucet. I added a chromed brass gate valve to shut the water. Since we have hot an cold water we mix it to the right temp and then use the little gate valve to turn the spray on and off to conserve water.

A shower is a pretty quick but effective activity. Get wet, lather / wash up and rinse. At the end we wipe down all the glass varnish teak. A shower serves to wash the entire head including he toilet. As a result our head has no odors and is the cleanest place in the boat as it get a good wash and wipe almost every day.

Showering is perhaps a bit wasteful of water. But water in the states is free so it is only a matter of the time and effort involved in keeping the tanks full. We use water liberally in the States as topping off is usually no problem at all. Offshore, we had a water maker to use so we could still shower. Cruising in the Caribe was a different story. You pay for water and there are not as many accessible docks for topping off.

I live on the boat a lot, weekends, weeks and even for a few years continuously. I consider a decent shower a necessity and civilized. You don't need much, but a nice warm shower is something I have done daily my wntire life... on board or ashore. I actually prefer the showers on board to the ones ashore. So now I take shorter showers ashore. hahahha

jef
sv shiva

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: