Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 14:00   #46

Boat: 36' steel cutter
Re: Show Me Your V-Berth

That 8" memory foam mattress looks heavenly, but I've never seen a v-berth without essential storage underneath!

Shoot no photo at the moment, but we each have our own personal storage along the full height (such as it is) of our respective sides of the bed. Not sure what your vee looks like or even if this is an option, space-wise (we are 36'). But if you're reconstructing the entire space, consider building long skinny lockers along the hull. Imagine a plywood vertical with doors in it. Even just 6" deep holds a LOT of clothing. Ours have rattan doors for airflow. If this even sounds like an option, let me know and I'll dig up a photo. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 16:39   #47

Boat: Irwin 40

Here is the improvements I made
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752a.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	35434

I added the upper side storage under the deck on each side with the oval doors to match the existing cabinet doors. The fill board and cushion are on a bracket step up for easy removal. Although it looks close to your feet I almost never hit it. The TV is a small under counter unit made to install under a kitchen cabinet the screen folds up when not in use. I also installed led overhead lights in several locations. Good lighting helps the place look less like a cave. Hope 1 or 2 of these ideas will help
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 18:03   #48

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That looks a little like ours, but with headroom.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57   #49

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater View Post
That 8" memory foam mattress looks heavenly, but I've never seen a v-berth without essential storage underneath!
Yeah, the front part of the v-berth is a 40 gallon water take. The sides have storage but I don't access them often. So it's not a big deal to lift up the mattress to get at them.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41   #50

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Said the skipper to the actress?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:01   #51

Boat: 1984 34 Oday

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Said the skipper to the actress?
ROFL ...
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 20:40   #52

Boat: 1996 26 cabin cruiser

Just redid the blue trim pieces, they were the ugly big cushion color...$12 fabric and a sore wrist from stapling sometimes just little improvements like this, bedding,pillows really make the space.

capeshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We use a firm 6" foam with a far thinner memory foam top layer....

Old 10-02-2012, 11:07   #54

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Excellent ideas by all?

For those that upgraded to memory foam.... is it assumed that there is not storage under these v-births? It is everything for me to dig in my stowage with the flimsy 2 in standard foam that is in it...and these are separated in the middle!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Our V-Berth cushions are split to form two halves on the center line. From the aft each side has a drawer beneath and stowage under the removable drawer as well as three lift boards to reach compartment under each of the three corners of the berth. A center trapezoid panel lifts to reveal a 30 gallon holding tank and a surplus 10 gallon water tank. The drawers and stowage beneath do not require moving the cushions for access and the other areas are very infrequently accessed and used for lighter spare parts and materials. The one forward nearest the chain locker remains empty.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37   #56

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Ah ha! Unfortunately (or fortunately with two kids!) I have lots of storage under the v-berth. Most if it is stuff that doesn't need to be gotten to everyday, but with that much room something can always be put there. I do like the memory foam idea, but though I am not old....I am not young enough to lift up full sheets or memory foam to retrieve something....especially while at sea!

I agree with Capeshore, the smallest of changes will make a big difference in a boat. The interior of boats are only so big...so the little changes don't get 'lost'. I added denim through pillows and it make the cabin look like a whole other boat!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:38   #57

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Here's some pictures I just took of our v-birth. It's just the "storage place" right now, I'll actually be tackling it this afternoon so I should have taken pictures of it later today!

We bake our own bread so all the containers there are for baking, flour, powdered milk etc. A friend of ours was staying over quite often so, we just left the sleeping bag out for him for when he showed up!

Toolbox with our bits and bobs. Printer, cable box, Playstation 3 and the surround sound box blueray thingy.

CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 13:53   #58

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Here's a photo of our v-berth when it is all done up and pretty:

I explained how I did the custom sheets and blankets in the posts below. We use plastic storage bins on top of the built-in shelving too.

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Charlotte's Blog - Handmade V-berth*Sheets

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Charlotte's Blog - Custom-fit Covers (top sheets/blankets) for the V-berth*Tutorial
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 07:58   #59

Boat: 1996 26 cabin cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post

love the built in with the tool case,saves wasting the few boat drawers with "stuff" tools etc...great idea and nice way of keeping them drawers closed too !
capeshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:25   #60

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeshore View Post
love the built in with the tool case,saves wasting the few boat drawers with "stuff" tools etc...great idea and nice way of keeping them drawers closed too !
Thanks! Man it's just so convenient, last time we were out (just a short day trip on the motor) a hose blew and knowing you can just open a draw to get everything you need, fix it within five minutes then put everything away, it's great! And actually, the second draw has a big tray thing, so we sit on the bunk and pull out the second draw to use as a desk, safe for soldering on and doing odd jobs, and then all the tools are right infront, sooo convenient!
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote