Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2016, 08:12   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Shade Cloth

I am preparing to do the World Arc. I am thinking a shade cloth would be very nice but I have no experience.
First of all how much do you think we will use it? It will be a moderate effort to put up.
A friend suggest using very light rip stop cloth to save weight and volume. From what I have read most people are using sun brella.
Is there a good light weight substitute?
Do you lower temperatures in the boat from a low fitting shade cloth or do you want it high to promote air flow?
How much value is in covering the whole boat? I am thinking of making three sections that can be used together or apart.
I appreciate all in put.
And yes I have read previous threads.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:27   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
re: Shade Cloth

Not sure it would be worth the trouble and space. Your boat is similar in size to ours and you will find lots of things to fill space with and spend money on. Certainly a bimini is essential for sun protection. We found we got very used to tropical temperatures and that being under the bimini it felt 'cool'. Good ventilation really helps and insect screens in some areas (certainly far from all places since usually there is a breeze). I see full deck covers as being better-suited to boats that are staying put in one place for a longer time than is the case with the World ARC and are staying in equatorial areas where trades are not as reliable.
Old 18-09-2016, 08:36   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Shade Cloth

My version of this forum doesn't show what boat you have not how its set up.

My thoughts are:
Yes, go buy a few meters off a roll of the white plastic see through stuff. It does knock the heat out of the sun. Get some brass eyes and an eye banger and fold a hem and bang a brass eye in it and lash down with lanyard.
A pro job can cost thousands.

World ARC is mainly in Trade Winds areas so ventilation isn't a problem because you have tons of air flow.

World ARC is on the move so much you may not get to use it a lot.

I take it you ready have a bimini and dodger?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
My version of this forum doesn't show what boat you have not how its set up.

World ARC is on the move so much you may not get to use it a lot.

I take it you ready have a bimini and dodger?

That is what I was thinking, They are great at anchor, but how much time are you going to be at anchor?
If you want to just see how well it works, go by a cheap plastic tarp and try it and see. It does work, works better than wetting the deck, I have tried both.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:42   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

There are some home outdoor shade and awning materials that make great shade cloths. A few grommets etc. and it can be put up quickly.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:02   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Just go to Amazon and search shade cloth. The 90% shade is what I would recommend. The benefit is that the heat can escape since it is a weave.... also, it is inexpensive and made for the sun. If you don't use it often, they can be donated to some island natives.

edit: the MP brand shade tarp have held-up well in the Florida sun.

Matt
Old 18-09-2016, 11:55   #7

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I am preparing to do the World Arc. I am thinking a shade cloth would be very nice but I have no experience.
First of all how much do you think we will use it? It will be a moderate effort to put up.
A friend suggest using very light rip stop cloth to save weight and volume. From what I have read most people are using sun brella.
Is there a good light weight substitute?
Do you lower temperatures in the boat from a low fitting shade cloth or do you want it high to promote air flow?
How much value is in covering the whole boat? I am thinking of making three sections that can be used together or apart.
I appreciate all in put.
And yes I have read previous threads.
RDW
We are considering buying shade cloth (90% black) from this website: Custom Shade Cloth - Shade Cloth | Greenhouse Megastore
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 13:21   #8

we have a sunbrella solar shade which runs from main to mizzen, so covers the cockpit and coach house complete. Lies atop of the boom, so about 5' above deck, 4 1/2' above coach house. Has drop sides which can roll up or roll down and tie off to lifelines. Also has two plastic "through hulls) at low points which correspond to the water deck fills.
We love it on anchor, shades the coach roof so keeps the salon cool, also acts as a wind tunnel so the cockpit shaded and nice breeze as well. Solid piece of kit and withstands up to 15kt breeze, after that we tear her down.
First time it took us about 45 min to deploy, but now we can do it in about 10 min.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 13:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

An awning is your air conditioning in the tropics. Keeping the sun off the deck is the difference between being miserable below or livable. The awning needs to be built stout to stand up to wind. Add a couple of through hulls to the awning to catch water and you may not need a water maker. We also had a foredeck awning like a pup tent. The peak was attached to the head stay and flat across the deck at the back. Made a great windscoop at anchor to keep the boat livable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 13:58   #10

We have a custom made Shade tent that reaches from near the stern to forward of the mast and ends at the inner forestay. Probably close to 30+ M2.

Its a must for us. Made from 90% shade cloth, it drops the temp inside the boat by 10 deg C in the tropics. Takes one person less than 5 minutes to set up and the same to stuff into a sailbag.

Its very light, and the last one was still going after 10 years , but was moved on when we upgraded to a sportier and larger design.

Being shade cloth it was very cheap to have made from measurements I provided to a domestic shade awning manufacturer. (less than $300) Because of the windage it goes back in the bag if its blowing over 20 at anchor.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 15:01   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

They make a Huge difference, particularly when there's little breeze. But either way, on those hot days, they're invaluable. Look at it this way, how hot does your bare skin get if you sit still under the sun vs. if you have on light weight, light colored clothing? Or are sitting in the shade with a breeze, like underneath of a tree on such a day?

You don't need anything fancy to start, & if you're broke, improvise. A tarp or two tuned to fit the space works. Or cannibalize an old sail until you can get some good cloth to work with. Adding grommets, & attachment points made from sewn in place webbing, as needed.
The loads on the fabric tend to be low, with things pulling primarily on the guying lines. But as with your skin, or sails, UV wear is a factor.

And on days that are stupid hot, it really pays to have one for the foredeck, as well as for aft of your mast. Including so that it covers the cockpit. With side flaps if you can. As at day's end the low angle sun can still be harsh, & it's nice to be out of it when having a drink in the cockpit with friends.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 16:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Has anyone used the shade cloth like what was linked to? Cause that looks like something I'd like to try as opposed to popping for custom Sunbrella, until we acquire the necessary skills to make our own anyway.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 16:33   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Has anyone used the shade cloth like what was linked to? Cause that looks like something I'd like to try as opposed to popping for custom Sunbrella, until we acquire the necessary skills to make our own anyway.

Yes. We have used it for the past 18 months in Southern Florida, and it's great. We couldn't wall barefoot on the deck without it.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-09-2016, 01:48   #14

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

On our Outremer we have a stack pack. So I got the local sailmaker to make a shade cloth for both sides that is zippered to each side of stack pack. There is also a round batten on the outside edge. When we are preparing to get underway I just roll it up and clip it to the the stack pack where it stays until I need it again. When sailing it does not seem to cause any problems
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 02:21   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Shade cloth is the only way to go. I use the 60% fawn coloured stuff and get 10-12 years or so out of it before the sun kills it. Actually it does not kill the shade cloth itself it kills the webbing I sew around the edges and in the places I put eyelets.

Mine stays permanently on the boom and deploys and stows in about 2 minutes. I started with shades that removed but there a pest when you have to fold and stow and get used a lot less than the ones on the boom.

It's dark here now but I'll break loose tomorrow with the camera and post a few images.

I have found it to be the coolest underneath even with only the 60% stuff because it does not give off radiant heat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote