Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 14:02   #31

Re: SF Bay Area LA Slip Needed for Houseboat

Wilmington LA is the only port that allows houseboats but there too you will need a motor of some kind to be able Qualify Liveaboard slips are a long waiting list at best The Delta. Stockton area maybe
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:58   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah Anchoring out, it should be easy..LOL.

First off ALL of the various county governments in the SF bay area have time limits for anchoring out. Mind you enforcement is a wee bit spotty, but it's there. Salano is rabid in enforcing a 4 day limit. Mind you liveaboard's in theory have a 30 day limit at any location.

Contra Coasta has the exact same laws as Salano, sends the sheriff boat out at least once a week, they also have a 4 day/30 day limits. They have ticketed liveaboards in marina's too, even though the liveaboards paid a liveaboard fee and county laws allow it. That thanks to a county commissioner with a bee under his bonnet. Marin will pester you and will give tickets. SF cops will come a call'n too.

Second most of the central bay is not protected from winter storms with winds 50-70 mph. It's a drag, specially without a motor.

Then there are the constant fast ferry wakes. It's 5:30 AM Goooood MORNING as the dishes fall off the stove. this repeats every 15 minutes till 10 am.

Where are you docking a dinghy to get to shore and then where do you park a car overnight in cities that REALLY don't like cars parked overnight on public streets. The only real dinghy docks are along Sausalito and no parking on public streets over night..

There are a few folks that pull dinghy's up the beach at china camp, but china camp can be rolly and it's still Marin so the ever so nice water cops will come by every so often. I'm anchored there now for a day or two.

Best bet buy an old 30-40 sailboat or powerboat and join the anchor outs in Richardson bay. There are a few houseboats out there, but it's a rough life with the winter storms and the afternoon winds all summer long. Holding can be quite poor. I can't see the attraction myself.....

You cound buy river front property with a dock. Except there is a law against living at your own dock too. It's California you know.

I do it, but I move about between the bay and delta and never overstay my welcome in any one place. Others do that too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 21:41   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

"Solano", not "Salano".
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 22:09   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It's a shame that most berths are used for long-term storage rather than for active boating.

Marinas should be used as a base for boating OPERATION rather than low-cost housing. Presumably, that's the reason for limits on liveaboards.

If you wish to live aboard, try being a transient, moving from one place to another in quick succession. But that won't work for a floating object without sail or engine.
Old 12-08-2017, 18:23   #35

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Federal jurisdiction from high tide record to record on the opposite side of navigable waterways. So why has no one challenged jurisdiction and charged the officers and judges with violations of their Oaths and offices. I'm currently fighting that fight with Tybee Island, GA. For some reason, they refuse to meet me before a jury of the people. 😕😋😏
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 20:51   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Buy a houseboat or a floating home where it already has a slip or berthing and has been there for years. No moving necessary and the chances of keeping it there is pretty much assured if you check with the harbormaster and he or she gives you the okay.

Living anchored out in Richardson Bay would be sketchy at best. There have been plenty of instances of robberies and shootings. Wretched old boats frequently drag anchor in storms. Many of those people row ashore once per month to get their welfare checks, food, water and propane. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that lifestyle. I'm just stating the facts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sf bay