Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2003, 06:52   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Seven Seas Cruising Association and Other Organizations

I have seen references to the SSCA and am considering joining it to benefit from all the advantages advertised on their website. I presently know nothing else about it. I am particularly interested in the cruising tips in their monthly bulletin, and in the potential comraderie that might be available in a strange harbour.

Any opinions on the SSCA, or any advice about similar organizations or sources of cruising advice?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2003, 09:38   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We have been members of SSCA for many years, and it is an organization that I would recommend without hesitation. Simply put, it is an organization of people interested in the cruising lifestyle. Some members have circumnavigated, a few more than once, but most are liveaboard cruisers who share the goals of camaraderie and leaving a clean wake. The monthly bulletin is a mix of letters from coastal and offshore cruisers. Most importantly, all the letters are from those who are actually out there and cruising. There is no advertising, and no slick pictures - although occasionally there will be photos from one of the "gams" (a gathering of cruisers).
The organization generally sponsors gams in Isleboro, Annapolis, and Melbourne, although the locations are subject to change. These events include speakers, nautical flea market, dinner(s), etc.
If you have the opportunity, it would enourage you to visit their home base in Ft. Lauderdale. They have a book exchange, lending library, and reference library. They also have information on local goods and services for sailors. It's a worthwhile stop. Also, I believe they will have a booth at the boat show">Miami Boat Show, so if you are going, you might want to stop by and meet some SSCA members, ask questions, whatever.
Hope this helps.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2003, 09:52   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Ditto, we can highly recommend SSCA.

We are lucky to live right here where their headquarters are so I visit the library frequently..Several thousand books there, all about cruising and boats, etc.

Also ya get an account at Lewis marine and get stuff for just about wholesale prices..They have a shipping department.

Just the Lewiz account have saved me hundreds and perhaps thousand of $ over the last few years.

And yes, the camraderi and the pot-lucks and gams and the bulletin, well worth the $35.00 per year or whatever the price is.

Welcome aboard.
CSY Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:36   #4

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
I have seen references to the SSCA and am considering joining it to benefit from all the advantages advertised on their website. I presently know nothing else about it. I am particularly interested in the cruising tips in their monthly bulletin, and in the potential comraderie that might be available in a strange harbour.

Any opinions on the SSCA, or any advice about similar organizations or sources of cruising advice?

Hello
I joined for 1 year spent $40.00 and got very little for my money. Never met or spoke to another member, and yes I am out there cruising, currently in the eastern Caribbean. If you are out there cruising how do you get the bulletin. I would like to own the rights to SSCA it one heck of a business $40 membership lots of members and an all volunteer staff, with and operation like that you could cruise in style forever.
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:44   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Harriet pretty much sums it up. The info gathered from other cruisers that have many years experience and covered pretty much the entire planet makes the cost of membership a bargain. Perhaps minisailor was just in the wrong place at the right time since we have encountered members everywhere we have been. For every response such as his you will receive many more like Harriet and CSY. The bulletins are available both through the mail and on line and are chocked full of information.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:52   #6
Eternal Member

Great organization, dedicated to real cruising sailors.

Minisailor,

There are dozens of SSCA member boats in the Eastern Caribbean. Look for their flags.

Also, the Bulletin is now available online. You can pick it up whenever you get to a good Internet connection.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:59   #7

I had my membership but let it lapse. I know I'm in the minority on this, but from my point of view, this is what's lacking:

- The little newsletters are awesome, but having a shoebox full of them to find what I need isn't that handy.
- The "commodore" status thing is kind of weird, and there isn't much offered as far as getting new blood is concerned.
- I didn't see much reciprocity in regards to the benefits of membership.
- Most of the information and ideas that I read about you could also pick up on message boards like this, or noonsite.

I want to like the ssca, and they even appointed someone to try to get more members since their numbers are dying off a bit. I think a bump in their technology would help, as well as being a bit more inclusive. I'll probably join them again, but I haven't really had any problems since I stopped being a member.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:30   #8

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
[quote=btrayfors;136074]Great organization, dedicated to real cruising sailors.

Minisailor,

There are dozens of SSCA member boats in the Eastern Caribbean. Look for their flags.

Also, the Bulletin is now available online. You can pick it up whenever you get to a good Internet connection.

Bill[/quote

Bill
Maybe it just me but I as I said I have never met another SSCA member. How many total members do they have?
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:04   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I would like to own the rights to SSCA it one heck of a business $40 membership lots of members and an all volunteer staff, with and operation like that you could cruise in style forever.
Not all volunteer staff.
The gals in the office are on the pay-roll.

Have met many SSCA folks and sometimes I fly the burgee from the spreader.

There used to be a discount for SSCA members wanting to sign up for WLO services. (A radio station in the US for SSB phone patches, etc)
Guess the radio station changed owners and changed name HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels and the discount is gone.

Last time I was at the SSCA office they were handing out discount coupons for West Marine, $20.00 off a $100.00 purchase.

Based on these programs and the Lewis marine discount, Lewis Marine Group the SSCA membership has paid for itself over the years.
Old 20-02-2008, 05:45   #10

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
I have been a satisfied member for years. Cruised the Bahamas, E Carib and S Fl and met many friendly and helpful fellow SSCA members. Highly rec'd being a member.
I wasn't aware of the Lewis Marine disct, can someone fill me in on the process for applying / receiving the discount.

Thanks,

Steve T
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:05   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We do not belong but probably should. Several of our cruising friends (including Harriet) are active and supportive members.

About the camaraderie though, other cruisers are the easiest people to get to know and most helpful. I don’t think an SSA burgee is needed to fit in and enjoy the cruising community.

This forum is as easy a place to get info from other cruisers as the SSA.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:30   #12
Eternal Member

SSCA membership numbers in the thousands. On their Board, alone, there are over 2,000 members (not all necessarily SSCA members).

There are not just one or two, but many member benefits. Unfortunately, these are listed in the Members Only area...not sure why. But lots of businesses offer discounts and concessions for SSCA members.

There's a new Membership Map function on the website which is pretty neat as well.

Good organization. Not in business to make money, but to provide services for real cruising sailors.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:32   #13

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Don't forget the "Cruising Stations" cruisers and or ex - pats in foreign countries that can provide excellent advise and sometimes assistance.

Forty bucks, not even a good meal down island. You make a statement by support and pledging to keep a clean wake. Some of the money assists in in supporting and informing the politicos about legal issues such as ANCHORING rights.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:38   #14

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I joined recently, haven't gotten any of the discount benefits yet, but I check their discussion board daily and have learned things there. Lots of stuff, but not near as active as this board.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:07   #15

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
to REBEL HEART

- The little newsletters are awesome, but having a shoebox full of them to find what I need isn't that handy.

All of the monthly newletters are available on CD with a search function.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote