Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 08:21   #16
cruiser

We aren't one of those boats that has people over, socializes, etc... probably because most sailors aren't our age... even then we probably wouldn't.

Sounds like the benefits are worth it... however, can you be "anti-social" in this club and still enjoy it?

PS: I know their landlord (Charlie) and have been to the office - to collect rent! ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:29   #17

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
Don't forget the "Cruising Stations" cruisers and or ex - pats in foreign countries that can provide excellent advise and sometimes assistance.

Forty bucks, not even a good meal down island. You make a statement by support and pledging to keep a clean wake. Some of the money assists in in supporting and informing the politicos about legal issues such as ANCHORING rights.

Fair Winds
Sorry everyone I did not mean to start a new thread regarding SSCA. I simply joined SSCA and never felt as if I were a member of a club. I believe the member ship is above 9000 paid subscribers. 9000 times $40 eguals $360,000.00 a big number for a company with two office people plus printing and postage. remember each month the list of volunteers who do the mailing etc. are giving credit in the bulletin, they are not paid employees. If SSCA were a club this money would certainly be donated to a worth while cause. As far as a clean wake, I do not have to pay some one to understand that leaving nothing behind is to the benefit of the planet. Forums such as this offer all the information you need from very experienced cruisers and it's instantaneous and you don't have to save hundred of paper bulletins that would surely become water logged on your boat. In answer to your, statement, that a meal down island cost $40 dollar, I agree and I would rather have the meal and get something for the $40.
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:35   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisailor View Post
Sorry everyone I did not mean to start a new thread regarding SSCA. I simply joined SSCA and never felt as if I were a member of a club. I believe the member ship is above 9000 paid subscribers. 9000 times $40 eguals $360,000.00 a big number for a company with two office people plus printing and postage. remember each month the list of volunteers who do the mailing etc. are giving credit in the bulletin, they are not paid employees. If SSCA were a club this money would certainly be donated to a worth while cause. As far as a clean wake, I do not have to pay some one to understand that leaving nothing behind is to the benefit of the planet. Forums such as this offer all the information you need from very experienced cruisers and it's instantaneous and you don't have to save hundred of paper bulletins that would surely become water logged on your boat. In answer to your, statement, that a meal down island cost $40 dollar, I agree and I would rather have the meal and get something for the $40.
While I'm not stepping into any debate on here, I have to say:

Hee hee... I love a fellow New Englander.

We tell it like it is and see through all the fluff. Good for you, minisailor!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 10:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
- The little newsletters are awesome, but having a shoebox full of them to find what I need isn't that handy.

All of the monthly newletters are available on CD with a search function.
I heard about that, but I could spend 20 minutes on noonsite grabbing the things I wanted and it's the same deal. Plus, even CD's full of old info aren't what I'm looking for.

I'm a younger sailor (30), and I suppose you could sum up by destination-info requirements with (a) never changing information, like the natural harbors along Romania's border in the Black Sea, and (b) recent information, like how much the current fees are (within months / a year max).

I can get the never changing info from books, written in much more depth and clarity than a newsletter. The recent info I can get from message boards, mailing lists, and other current sources.

I could make do with the ssca bulletins, but it's just not that effective for me and my style.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 12:31   #20

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
well . . . OK, if firsthand knowledge of ports, bays (including impossible to find waypoints for entry etc), restaurants and provisioning places, repair facilities, parts places, and services such as immigration, fuel, water, laundry etc. isn't what you're after . . . surf away!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 14:00   #21

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
While I'm not stepping into any debate on here, I have to say:

Hee hee... I love a fellow New Englander.

We tell it like it is and see through all the fluff. Good for you, minisailor!

Ain't New England just great, I love it (Summers only)
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 21:36   #22

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Is there a latest consensus?
Is the Association doing well?
Is it growing?
Is it worth joining?

Thinking of it.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:16   #23

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When you are sailing around the world, the monthly newsletters are awesome. We had many years of back issues on board, and the first thing we did when coming to a new destination is get out the newsletters and find out about the country from a cruiser's point of view. The information makes it much easier to conduct business and see the sights in a safe and cost effective manner.

Half the battle in arriving at a new destination is knowing what to expect. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote