Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-09-2012, 07:45   #16

Re: Seriously Considering Living Aboard in NYC and Need Advice

As far as plumbing and bathroom usage goes, how often would i need to empty the tanks? How does that work?

Old 30-09-2012, 07:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvee View Post
I don't have a car - I didn't realize Liberty Landing was so far from public transit. They said 5 blocks to the PATH on the phone, which sounds totally reasonable. I definitely still need to visit the marina.

Also, for electric they offer you a meter directly through their provider.
I think the closest PATH station is exchange place next to the Hyatt Hotel on the Hudson.

Old 30-09-2012, 07:50   #18

Certainly is doable. I lived aboard my 30 foot monohull in New York back in the late 1990's. There were a few of us who full time liveaboards while working in New York. For six years I was on board from April to November/December at Chelsea Piers which will probably be the most convenient for you but, also may be the most expensive. They have no dockage in the winter there so I moved back on land and stored the boat though others moved across the river to Liberty Landing which was less convenient communting wise but, was open in the winter. Also the Chelsea Market just a few minutes walk from the Chelsea Piers marina made provisioning real easy. I loved living on the river except for 9/11 experience.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SEPTEMBER 11, 2001
But, other times the noise and commotion that was the norm in Manhattan disappeared as soon as I stepped on the dock. It is really like living in two different worlds. I enjoyed it while I had to work there.
Old 30-09-2012, 07:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvee View Post
As far as plumbing and bathroom usage goes, how often would i need to empty the tanks? How does that work?
Need to find out if your boat has holding tanks and how many gallons they hold. Most boats the holding tanks are just for toilets. Sinks and showers would drain straight overboard.

Figure 1-2 gallons per flush and that will give you an idea of how often you will have to empty the tank. You have to have the holding tanks pumped out. Some places have pump out boats that will come to you, other places you have to take the boat to a dock to have the tanks pumped. Another question for the marina.
Old 30-09-2012, 07:53   #20

Hadn't considered Chelsea Piers, I could certainly stay at one marina in the summer and another in winter...time to do more research!
Old 30-09-2012, 17:30   #21

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch

Welcome. I am at Liberty Landing now and am enjoying it very much . There is a ferry that leaves every half hour from here for $7 each way, PATH is walkable. Very nice slip mates, laid back, good service dept , pet friendly , great park for cycling. slip fees include 1 haulout each year. Good Luck
Old 30-09-2012, 17:41   #22

Awesome to see someone here at the actual marina! I'll probably have lots more questions for you, and I plan on visiting the marina myself soon.

A lot of the info in this thread has been so useful and encouraging, so I'm about 95% decided I'm doing this! I think I'll be waiting til spring though, so I don't have to winterize just yet.
Old 30-09-2012, 17:46   #23

Vee,

There are a number of sailors in the region, me being one of them who would be able to give you some help, advice and so forth. I've lived in City Island one winter on a boat and another in a small house. Winter in NYC on a boat can be a bit of a challenge but it's definitely do able. Ice on docks and decks can be dangerous and a shrink wrap is a good idea.

You can inquire about the slip fees and you'll need electricity and gas... same as in an apartment. But as you'll be supply your own heat that will be a new maintenance cost.

Bathrm visits are a whole other difference between living on a boat in a slip and in an apartment. That's something you need to work out and may require *maintenance*. If you work in Manhattan 79th street boat basin is a great location. Commuting from City Island is a bus and long subway ride to Manhattan.

The Jersey side means a ferry to get to work and perhaps a car for shopping which at 79th street is not required.

You will have upkeep costs for the systems on board. And that means you learn and do it or get someone to do those things as favor or pay mechanics. Yachties are helpful but you really need to become self reliant and learn how to manage the boat. It's not rocket science but it all needs to be learned and probably hands on.

Don't be discouraged. You've come to the right place... and there's lots of wisdom here.
Old 30-09-2012, 17:51   #24

I wish I could live at 79th st boat basin, but there's a 5-7 year wait (!) for a summer slip, and year rounds go to the most senior of summer slips that want them, so it's not possible, unfortunately.
Old 30-09-2012, 18:59   #25

YIKES.. that's a bummer... City Island is not bad... it's quite nice in the winter but the summer is intense...
Old 30-09-2012, 19:00   #26

The summer is intense? How so?

Edit - looked at it on the map, way too far out of the way for me, unfortunately. One of my biggest criteria is ease of access to Manhattan. I'm currently living in the east village and it's going to be one of the biggest things I miss if I move onto a boat.
Old 30-09-2012, 19:15   #27

City Island is a long ride to the downtown... CI is very popular in the summer and with one small causeway bridge there a lot of traffic.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do a fast water taxi from over there at some point... it would be a quick trip to the east side. City Island is cool place... lots of nautical history there.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44   #28

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

Too bad 79thSt has such a wait. I would have liked that marina, but was limited by draft. LadyVee - take another look at Lincoln Harbor. It is NOT as nice as Liberty Landing, but it is priced reasonable, and I think it will be the easiest commute across to NYC - the bus stop is just outside the marina, and it is the last stop before crossing to the city. I worked in mid-town, and to get there from Liberty Landing took several changes in modes of transport - ferry, subway and would have taken an hour and a half! Also - the ferry from Liberty Landing does run seasonally - so as I recall, it is not always available.

If you work anywhere near Grand Central, it might actually not be a bad commute from City Island. You would need to take the bus from CI to the train station - but then a relatively painless ride in to Grand Central.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40   #29

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Counting a Maintance fund, your cost of living is half doing this if you find a slip at $600 a month. Don't walk, run to get this done. You will have a blast.

Keep us updated.

We can also help you when you are ready to make the flip to a sailboat. Cats prefer sailboats 2:1.
Old 01-10-2012, 17:01   #30

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit

do it itll be pricy though

Tags
nyc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: