Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 15:13   #1

Selling my toys to buy a live aboard boat

Ok so I just turned 39 and Im selling my cars and junk to buy a nice boat. I will be moving on to the boat as a live aboard. my question is do yall have any recommendations on a few boats for me to research and maybe go find at my local dock and check out . There are so many boats out there I just don't know where to start. My plans are to do mostly costal sailing but would want to do a little island hopping also. It is going to be a year or two before I buy a boat but would like to do a little research before I buy . I've read enough posts of people that bought the wrong boat. I don't mind buying an older boat that needs some TLC im a mechanic by trade and can fix anything even if im on the side the road. Looking for replies from seasoned Live aboard.
popeye31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 15:27   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Selling my toys to buy a live aboard boat

Are you looking for a sailboat or powerboat? The second option gives you a lot more living room.
For a sailboat, I'd go from low to mid 30's for a single person. It's nice having enough headroom and some modest amount of space to move around.
I like Islanders (32 and 36) and Cal 34, among numerous others. They often come at decent prices and are all nice boats for sailing.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 16:58   #3

Sorry I didn't specify but it will be a sail boat. And I would say room for two . I might pickup on a stray every now and then.
Old 25-11-2014, 17:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Would help a lot to give some ballpark of the budget you're working with. Also maybe what country you're in as some brands are more available in different parts of the world.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 17:33   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Count up all the pennies you are going to end up with and buy something at about 1/3 of that, something with a little character and as big as you can afford.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 18:42   #6

Budget is one of the reasons why im asking about what sail boats would be worth looking at. I don't have a budget yet but I can tell you it will not be a new sail boat. it will definitely be used and will need some repairs. Like I said Im very mechanically inclined. im not above going through a cal 30 that some one left a hatch open At a storage yard and it got swamped with from a storm that came through. in fact I almost grabbed a free one till the guy said the mast and boom were gone.
Old 25-11-2014, 18:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye31 View Post
Budget is one of the reasons why im asking about what sail boats would be worth looking at. I don't have a budget yet but I can tell you it will not be a new sail boat. it will definitely be used and will need some repairs. Like I said Im very mechanically inclined. im not above going through a cal 30 that some one left a hatch open At a storage yard and it got swamped with from a storm that came through. in fact I almost grabbed a free one till the guy said the mast and boom were gone.
So are you saying that you have zero money for the budget or that you have no idea how much money you have?

If the former then take anything you can get for nothing. Free you can't get too picky.

If the later, the certainly you must have some wild guess on how much you can come up with. Really without some ballpark the question cannot be answered in a meaningful way. So make a guess, around $5000, $25,000, $50,000?
Old 25-11-2014, 18:59   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

There are so many boats to choose from. Look at boats that suit your fancy. It might not even be something some other guy might like. Generally, heavier is better.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 19:42   #9

Like someone said, Money has a lot to do with what you buy. I had about 30.000 when I went boat shopping. I figured it would cost me a bundle to outfit a boat. so I went shopping. for a boat about 15.000. I flew into Tampa Florida from Oregon with my backpack and my debit card. October, Cool in Oregon, Hotter than Hades in Florida. I rented a car and started looking for a boat. Gee there are a lot of boats in Florida. I finally found one through a broker. He was a really nice honest person. He knew of a Morgan 30 OutIsland. but the guy wanted 24.000 for it. I offered 17.500 and got it. It was just what I needed. It was ready to sail and it only cost me another 10.000 to buy all the things I wanted, to sail away. I kept it for ten years and worked on it almost all the time I had it. Mostly upgrading it. That was the best 10 years of my life. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:06   #10

Not that price doesn't matter but Price is not what im looking for as far as reasons to buy a particular boat. just because a boat cost $25,000 doesn't mean it would be a good live aboard or make it to the Bahamas comfortably. example a Macgregor 26M . Also because I am capable of rebuilding a boat I don't mind buying a $125,000 boat for say $1,000 and fixing it up.
Im looking for more practical reasons to buy a boat.
Old 25-11-2014, 20:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye31 View Post
Not that price doesn't matter but Price is not what im looking for as far as reasons to buy a particular boat. just because a boat cost $25,000 doesn't mean it would be a good live aboard or make it to the Bahamas comfortably. example a Macgregor 26M . Also because I am capable of rebuilding a boat I don't mind buying a $125,000 boat for say $1,000 and fixing it up.
Im looking for more practical reasons to buy a boat.
First, there is no practical reason to buy a boat. It is strictly an emotional thing.

And of course what you pay for a boat doesn't make it the right boat for your purpose. But bottom line, there are probably tens of thousands of different boats and hundreds and hundreds that might suit your needs that might cost anywhere from a few thousand to a few hundred thousand dollars to millions. To answer which boat is worth buying would have an almost infinite number of answers unless you can narrow down the parameter just a tiny bit.

By the way, assume you're kidding but don't expect to buy a $125,000 boat for $1000 unless it is in small pieces in a dumpster.

As far as any particular boat, I can give you dozens of reasons to buy an Oyster 45 or 46 or 48. Oysters are one of the best cruising boats in the world. In good condition might be $300,0000$400,000 but you can get a fixer upper for half that.

Oh, you don't have $150,000. How about a Hallberg Rassy 36. Also great boats. Well built, comfortable, good sailor, great live aboard, good looks. In sailaway condition $150,000 but one needing a lot of work and an engine rebuild you might find a deal for $50,000.

Without some parameters, some limitations, some very rough idea of budget it would fill a book to list each and every boat that is good live aboard, well built, etc, etc, etc.
Old 25-11-2014, 20:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

In the 45 years that I have been buying boats and sailing them I can tell you that "practical reason for buying a boat" is a non starter. There are none. Dreams, fantasies, wants, needs, love, change of lifestyle etc. are all damn fine reasons for buying a boat. Practical, never.

PS. You cannot buy a $125,000 boat for $1000. You can buy a boat worth $1000 that may, and only may, be worth $125,000 one day. Good luck with your endeavour anyway and I do hope that you prove me wrong.

Bloody Skipmac. He types faster than me. But then, so does my dog.

Coops.
Old 25-11-2014, 20:40   #13

Boat: Hudson 50

I've bought several boats and fixed them up. Each time I've upgraded to a larger boat usually with more problems. But it's all worked out in the end. Here's what I suggest.
Step 1- Make a list of all of the "must-have's"- things like heavy displacement, sloop rigged, center cockpit, two staterooms, room for a shower, etc. I'm not saying that you will get all these items but you need to know what you are looking for
Step 2- Make a list of all the "non-starters" - Some repairs are just not worth getting into. You'll need to look at your skills - mechanical, electrical, woodwork, fiberglass repair, etc. Don't take on a project that is beyond your skills or will take you years to get launched.
Step 3- Start looking- I would visit lots of Marinas and lots of Boatyards. Sometimes Marinas have boats that the owner has walked away from and you can get them for a song. Ask if someone is way behind on their slip rental fees or if there is a foot of weeks growing on the bottom. Sometimes the owner has lost interest and just wants out. Look for a failed project in a boatyard. A lot of projects don't get finished and the boatyard is stuck with a boat half finished. My point is that there are lots of deals out there and many are not advertised.
Step 4- Wait for a boat that you fall in love with. It can take years to put a boat into decent shape and most times you never really get everything finished. You need to find a boat that lifts your spirit every time you look at her lines. It will sustain you through a lot of projects.

With all that being said there are some amazing deals out there if you are prepared to wear out some shoe-leather looking for it. Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:50   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I was where you are six years ago, though I'm older. Also mechanically inclined. Been living aboard for four years now since purchase. Some advice follows....

Don't buy a boat that needs "everything " fixed, if you actually want to go sailing anytime soon. Plenty of good, well cared for boats at any budget level to buy. Typically neglected in the last years of prior owners care though. So needing some things fixed. And it must be a complete boat. Smart move to pass up the free boat with no mast.

Whatever your budget ends up being, you can spend a greater percentage of it at purchase than the vast majority of buyers. Because like me you will fix everthing yourself. My total investment for four years is 80% purchase and 20% maintenance/upgrades. I've sailed on average three times weekly, three coastal cruises and currently living on the hook waiting for new injector lines to arrive before my next coastal to warmer waters. I work wherever I go.

Figure out what is important for you as best you can. Reading this forum daily will help. For me it was standing headroom, a strong diesel for going upriver and safety (no kickers for me), a fin keel and skeg rudder on a solid hull, and more traditional lines on deck and house.

I ended up buying the model of boat that I determined was right for me before looking at any boats. I started the search with one boat in mind, buying the second one that I enqiured about. I may have gotten lucky but the research paid off. Only boat I'll ever own most likely and intend to live on it til I can't sail any more. Just hope I make it to 83 like the previous owner.

Best of luck. Don't get in a hurry.
Old 25-11-2014, 21:11   #15

LOL, Ok well Passion for the water, the ringing of halyards slapping a mast, Ocean views, Popeye the sailor man are my reasons for wanting to live aboard and buy a sailboat. Reasons for buying a particular boat is sea worthiness, livable and it would be nice if I had a big foredeck do my exercises in the morning , if im moored in the middle of a bay.

Coops I hope you weren't talking about me typing fast cause I took my time I need to or my typing sounds like a 12 year old . O and I was cooking at the same time.