Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30   #1

Selling everything and buying a sailboat

We are a family of 4 our two children are aged 10 and 8, we are planning to sell our house and everything in it, to buy a sailboat and travel round the world, we would really like to ask people a few questions before making the biggest decision of our lives!!

With the sale of the house we will have a budget of £80,000 for the boat and £90,000 for the trip this figure will need to cover repairs to the boat as well as everything else. Please leave your comments in regards to weather or not you think these figures will be enough for our adventure? And how long do you think we could travel for?

My husband is a handy man and can fix almost anything, he has worked on boats for over 15 years, so any repairs needed i am sure he will be able to save us money in this department.

We have two children and would appreciated any advise on homeschooling and how your children adapted to living on a boat?

Finally, to help us along the way i am hoping to work while sailing, i am a hairdresser and would like to know if i could make any income from this and to provide a service to other yachts?

We would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Andy prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Selling everything and buying a sailboat

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

The following is offered in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

To give you a couple of quick answers (opinions) on some of your questions:

1. I think your budget is more than many people have when they start to go boat shopping and then to go cruising. Many people have done it on much less.

Within some of the forums here on CF you will find some budgets that boat owners have shared. Just be aware that everyone has a different level of what they consider appropriate, comfortable, suitable, etc. So, one person's budget may seem either high or low. Some people are comfortable eating beans and rice, while others like to eat steak in shoreside restaurants. It also matters where you plan to cruise. You can find much more in the many threads on CF that address these various issues.

2. Hair dressing to make money?
There is a long thread (topic) here that has hundreds of examples of money making ideas to be used while cruising. I think you will find "hair dressing" in that list. However, just because one can do something on land or has an idea, does not necessarily mean there is much demand for it on boats or in the cruising community, or that it is a practical suggestion or profitable.

Here is a link to that thread. It has 1,434 posted comments, so many ideas discussed.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

I notice that in your post you don't provide any information about your level of experience sailing or that of your partner. You mention your husband is a "handy man" and has "worked on boats" for years, but that could mean many things, including never sailing on a boat for long distances. So, I encourage you to be honest and upfront about that, as it can help others help you. Simply state how much or little experience you have sailing, if you have owned boats before, and on what kind of boats, and if part of a couple, describe the same for your partner or spouse. The reason? Because most people grossly underestimate how much it costs to keep a large boat, maintain it, and operate it. Others are simply unprepared to take one on a long voyage, due to lack of knowledge and skills. That doesn't stop some, but it is better to know this if you seek advice on sailing.

As for learning more about sailing and cruising?
I think CF is the very best place to do that, if you really want to dive in deep into the subject of cruising, and be in a friendly online community that supports it.

There are many resources here on CF that can help you learn about boats, sailing, navigation, seamanship, cruising, live aboard life, and much more. Take some time to click on the various forums, and view some of the threads on more than just the first page of topics. You will find many hours of potential good reading.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and hopefully in the future when you go sailing too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Read about others who have gone before you to learn from them.
SV Totem is a good one, but there are lots of cruising families that have done and are doing what you want to do.

Here's a link to the Totem Blog, go way back to 2008 when they started!
http://www.sailingtotem.com/
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:14   #4

Thanks for your response.

My husband has worked on fishing boats most of his life and has crewed on many vessels (fishing mainly English Channel and North sea) he also has experience in the engineering and electronics side of things. In regards to the sailing experience we both haven't had much to be honest, i have had a few lessons years ago, however we are going out with friends who have had years of experience to show us the basics of sailing, we will not travel until we are both confident about the sailing, we have started reading alot and researching the internet to try and educate ourselves.

We are still looking for a boat but ideally we would like something where the children have their own bedrooms and space to escape, so the size we have been looking at is 50ft but still unsure the make and model, if anyone can recommend a suitable vessel, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy prince View Post
Thanks for your response.

My husband has worked on fishing boats most of his life and has crewed on many vessels (fishing mainly English Channel and North sea) he also has experience in the engineering and electronics side of things. In regards to the sailing experience we both haven't had much to be honest, i have had a few lessons years ago, however we are going out with friends who have had years of experience to show us the basics of sailing, we will not travel until we are both confident about the sailing, we have started reading alot and researching the internet to try and educate ourselves.

We are still looking for a boat but ideally we would like something where the children have their own bedrooms and space to escape, so the size we have been looking at is 50ft but still unsure the make and model, if anyone can recommend a suitable vessel, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
OK. That additional info helps.

You will find (if you do some digging) many previous discussions in CF forums that address similar "wants" and will tell you various reasons why people buy big boats (50 foot) or smaller boats (35 - 40) for what you have in mind doing.

There are many differing opinions, so I suggest you read many, in order to get a sense of the diversity of experiences people have and to have some balance of opinions. Just remember that anyone's opinion may be formed from either an experience, or lack of experience.

For example, one person will tell you that 50 feet is too big, while others will say "bigger is better." Which is correct?

You alone can decide that for yourselves, but I suspect you won't know that answer till you have some real experience handing (sailing, including sail handling, and docking) sailboats (not power boats) in a variety of conditions, most especially more challenging conditions (higher winds and seas), and do things like handling sails and while docking boats in more than calm conditions.

In addition to CF, I will recommend this book, as it does an outstanding job of describing many aspects of cruising boats and cruising. It was written by a sailor after 2 circumnavigations as a couple. Her husband is a frequent contributor to CF too.
https://www.amazon.com/Voyagers-Hand.../dp/0071437657

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 13:24   #6

Hi we were a family of 5 when we started cruising. Of course, we are back on land now after a meager 8 months at sea, but that is because we are wanting to have another little one.

Your budget totally depends on you. I found we averaged about $2000/month. Some months were higher, some less. There are things you have to consider besides food and fuel, like clearance fees, boat insurance, catastrophic health insurance, some "fun" money, the occasional marina. They say figure 10% per year of the boat price for maintenance, I think this is a bit high if you can do things yourself.

We bought a boat that was pretty much ready to cruise for about what your budget is, but we realized soon after there were things we wanted to change (more money), so plan on that.

It depends on how quickly you want to sail around the world, but 80k might do it. We started out with a savings and lofty goals of sailing around the world, but ultimately decided because we were new to stay close to home for a little while, it was more in our comfort zone. There are plenty of amazing places to see that don't require 3 weeks of ocean travel!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:58   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy prince View Post
to buy a sailboat and travel round the world
According to my observations, out of 100 people who start with the above goal, only one or two eventually accomplish it.

As for your planned budget, it may be possible, but the budget is far less than I am planning just for myself (and I am not even planning to sail across oceans). It is certainly a matter of level of comfort one is used to, but I think with an 80k boat ($100k USD), which is large enough for four people, say, a 45 foot boat, you are running the risk of blowing a major part of the rest of your budget on replacement parts in the next three-four years just to keep the boat sufficiently safe.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 17:32   #8

Andy , I recon that if your man has all those years experience on fishing boats esp in the North Sea then there is little he needs further in boat handling and seamanship , yes prob some learning in the technicalities of sailing , trimming , setting and getting the best from any given wind etc , but should be easy enough , re boats , I always recommend catamarans and really can't see why everyone doesn't have one , ( fast , spacious and comfortable ) but your price of 80 it will not be easy finding one big enough for full family , unless of course you go for a Warram ( very good boats and well proven ocean crossers tho may take some imagination and ingenuity to get everyone a seperate bed room !!) currently only a few ( non warrams ) available in Uk just now and willl need a little work , ( tho asking price is only that I know you can get for substantially less ). Check out multihull world agency . Re work as hairdresser I would think there should be potential there although others will be better placed to advise .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 17:34   #9

Ps , there is a 38' pajot av just now , asking 80 / 90 needs a some work , nice boat
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 19:33   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It sounds like you have enough money to make a sailing voyage around the world, and the amount of money you have will determine the compromises you must make to achieve your goal.

Some people spend too much money on their yacht, and they get a vessel that they cannot really afford to sail and maintain.

Other folks get a basic vessel without the bells and whistles, and they also sail around the world and have a great time.

Other people make their sailboat into a floating condominium with lots of expensive complicated systems.

I prefer a minimalist yacht that is strong and seaworthy. For me, less is more because I don't want to burn up my Freedom Chips on things I don't really need.

Good luck on your voyage. It is doable.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 23:32   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If you haven't had any significant experience in sailing and staying extended time on a boat, you're probably heading toward disappointment. Without the experience, you hardly have a clue if you would enjoy. Personally, tossing about in open seas for weeks is not my cup of tea. Pay your money and take your choice. Wouldn't gamble with the family's fortune without knowing the answer.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Hi we were a family of 5 when we started cruising. Of course, we are back on land now after a meager 8 months at sea, but that is because we are wanting to have another little one.

Your budget totally depends on you. I found we averaged about $2000/month. Some months were higher, some less. There are things you have to consider besides food and fuel, like clearance fees, boat insurance, catastrophic health insurance, some "fun" money, the occasional marina. They say figure 10% per year of the boat price for maintenance, I think this is a bit high if you can do things yourself.

We bought a boat that was pretty much ready to cruise for about what your budget is, but we realized soon after there were things we wanted to change (more money), so plan on that.

It depends on how quickly you want to sail around the world, but 80k might do it. We started out with a savings and lofty goals of sailing around the world, but ultimately decided because we were new to stay close to home for a little while, it was more in our comfort zone. There are plenty of amazing places to see that don't require 3 weeks of ocean travel!
That's really funny… As I was reading the post before yours I started thinking about recommending they take a look at your boat for sale!… Is it still for sale? Ben recommended it to me as a possible boat but was out of our budget and a little bit bigger than three of us need... however I do think ben Tambi and Molly Should have bought your boat!

Did your boat survive Irma? I imagine Greencove springs got hit pretty hard?
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:29   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

As to hairdressing being a viable way to make some cash:

When we were in the Bahamas people were lined up in front of one woman's boat to get a haircut - she did both men and women - nothing fancy but after months on a hook many were looking for something a bit professional before "re-entering" civilization.

I haven't seen this in the Pacific Northwest of the US but then there are fewer people at anchor in out of the way places. I think it can be a money maker depending on your location and the type of yachties you're surrounded by.

Good luck!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post
That's really funny… As I was reading the post before yours I started thinking about recommending they take a look at your boat for sale!… Is it still for sale? Ben recommended it to me as a possible boat but was out of our budget and a little bit bigger than three of us need... however I do think ben Tambi and Molly Should have bought your boat!

Did your boat survive Irma? I imagine Greencove springs got hit pretty hard?
I agree with you, they should have bought our boat!! From what I hear surge is up about 5 feet, they've had gusts up to 50 or so but also calm periods as well. We're on the wrong side of the pier for the wind though, so we'll see how she comes out.

Actually, we took it off the market - I may not have removed it everywhere yet. While expensive to keep, we love the boat and absolutely want to go cruising again when the kids are older. In the mean time, I'll work on projects.

That being said, if I got a good offer on her I might consider it...
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50   #15

Boat: Boatless

Check out our blog, our kids were 1 and 4 when we started.

You're getting lots of good advice already so I'll spare repeating most.

Enjoy, they are times you will never forget and this part of the process is one of them. Years later I look back over the selling/buying/going years and have many fond memories of them.

P

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailboat