Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 10:47   #16

Re: Self delusion, or stalwart seamanship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
The only downside I have with a 40ft boat is docking. And that's solved by going slow, planning ahead and practice. The upside to living space and storage capacity is worth it

The most reassuring comment that helped me confirm that I wasn't just imagining things!!
Can-do Does-do!
Thank you!
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 10:58   #17

Boat: Boatless

Honestly I’m many respects docking and maneuvering a larger boat in tight quarters is easier than a smaller.

A small amount of prep before approaching and an eye towards your exit plan should things go to custard and you’ll be fine.,

Read “docking” on blog :-)

If you buy Ohana I’ll throw in a free course!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:04   #18

Enjoyable comments all...
In land-locked Arkansas, my family thinks me odd for this dream, and I challenge myself daily to believe it's MORE than perfectly reasonable in the face of such go-with-the-herd criticism. But there are days (of waiting and waiting and waiting) (and learning and learning and learning) that push me to think I might really be becoming psychotic.
Odd analogy I know, but it's like thinking of everything that can go wrong with catching a marlin (spike through the eye) versus realizing the thrill of simply being there in the first place (even if you don't get a nibble). The mind is a battlefield!

*Thanks for bringing more swords and shields, gang!

Bill
Old 22-01-2018, 11:19   #19

Boat: Freedom 38

The bigger the boat, the more you can justify bow thrusters or what my friends like to call "magic buttons" (AKA electric winches). Lots more or more effective electronics (windlass, remote AP, electric winches, etc.) on a bigger boat can help provide the extra hands you need. I solo my Freedom 38, which is in all reality, closer to a 40-footer. It's a lot at times. I don't think I'd want to do that forever when I go off cruising full-time, but at least I know I can. Docking in tight quarters is always a bit hairy, even for fully crewed vessels, yet more often than not, there's someone willing to give you a hand. I can tell you that the more you take the boat out, the better you get at it. Make sure your heart meds are up to date (I kid, you know...). But I'll also reiterate another point someone else made, the larger the boat, the more expensive are the maintenance issues. Bigger is not always better
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:27   #20

Boat: Boatless

You may have a touch of CDS™️. I’m stuck in Alaska at the moment while boat is merrily bobbing away in the Bahamas awaiting my return.

Symptoms included irritability, repetitive forum checking, sleeplessness and general fatigue.

If one can’t get to said boat mid winter one has to accept current situation and do their best to live in the moment. Alcohol provides temporary relief from said symptoms but should be discontinued after several years if other worse symptoms present.

Rambling. It’s too cold up here! Keep dreamin but don’t forget the livin!!!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:35   #21

Boat: Falmouth Cutter 22

Interesting thread. I've sailed surfboards, a sunfish, sweet sixteens, an engineless Atkins Eric, an enginless Westsail 32 and now a Falmouth 22. The 32s were too big and I was afraid of the ocean, so it was easy to not leave the dock or anchor. The maintenance seemed too expensive. There was too much space below deck and I could not touch the ocean because the freeboard was too high unless heeled to 45 degrees and then I was too frightened to leave the tiller let alone tend sails. After a few years I changed to a Falmouth cutter 22 and although afraid at times, still am confident of getting through intact. Ted Brewer has a formula for comfort at sea. What made me move to the smaller full keel heavy displacement 22 was how close the Westsail 32 and Falmouth 22 matched in the formulas for comfort and safety. My biggest concern was safety and then comfort. After several years sailing the 22, I can say she exceeds the 32 substantially in safety and comfort. Could I live aboard? Yes but only part time like when I go for a week or so without dropping anchor. But, I love barefoot sailing. I have a connection to the ocean similar to when my father would yell at me for dragging seaweed behind our sunfish because it slowed the three of us down (Mom was okay with it). There is a 40 ft live aboard sailboat at anchor nearby for five weeks straight now, which would drive me nuts. Sometimes I wonder why some interiors look like apartments. Apartments are not seaworty in my opinion.
Fuegomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:49   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I moved up to a 35' center cockpit 8 years ago... it seemed like the largest boat I could handle and dock solo. Sometimes it feels a bit small now when others are staying aboard and I'm sure I could dock a 40 now. I think the freeboard is the biggest difference between my 35' and a 40' which translates into how difficult it is to jump aboard when casting off or stepping down when docking. Whatever you get, I'd find a less populated section of a marina and practice casting off and docking over and over and over and over until people look at you like you are crazy.
Old 22-01-2018, 12:34   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

After thinking about I've decided that I actually *prefer* docking single-handed. Because I know exactly what is going to happen and who is going to do what.

Anyone who has been around marina docks knows that the biggest blow-ups between captains and crews happens during docking. Lot's frantic yelling and even screaming at times when the plan (if there was one) or communication break down. I'm pretty level headed but I've had occasions where I had guests on my boat, gave a very detailed plan of what was going to happen, the sequence of events, why, and what the "bail" plan was if necessary, only to have it all go pear-shaped when someone freelanced or forgot the plan.

The same is true for people helping you from the dock, which can be even worse. A few years ago I was pulling into a difficult dock that was diagonal to a strong current running away from the dock, with a pretty brisk wind blowing away at 90 degrees to the current. A family was there, just off their center console, and offered to help. I did not see how I was going to make it on without assistance. Nosed in, father plucked the bow line off the pulpit, all good. Tossed the 25' stern line to the grown son....who promptly tied the END of it to the dock cleat. He tossed the rest of it in the water, and did not seem to understand follow on directions, urgently conveyed, to retrieve it and haul in. It was a mess, lol.

So yeah, I like docking single-handed. You're master of your own fate.

Remote windlass switch in the cockpit? The wire is run, the switch is in the equipment locker. I'm sure I won't install it until some near catastrophe that imprints in my brain that I should have put it in earlier, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:57   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
After thinking about I've decided that I actually *prefer* docking single-handed. Because I know exactly what is going to happen and who is going to do what.

So yeah, I like docking single-handed. You're master of your own fate.
Agreed, Only damage to my hull was due to a helping hand as I pulled into a floating restaurant dock... anyone want advice on gel coat repair?
Old 22-01-2018, 15:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
You may have a touch of CDS™️. I’m stuck in Alaska at the moment while boat is merrily bobbing away in the Bahamas awaiting my return.

Symptoms included irritability, repetitive forum checking, sleeplessness and general fatigue.

If one can’t get to said boat mid winter one has to accept current situation and do their best to live in the moment. Alcohol provides temporary relief from said symptoms but should be discontinued after several years if other worse symptoms present.

Rambling. It’s too cold up here! Keep dreamin but don’t forget the livin!!!

I'm so hearing you...
I had in mind Oregon or Washington for a home port, but got derailed by a few things: 1. Cold, grey and rainy 2. A crazy allergy to "northern" spores, molds, and funguses (actually kinda dangerous for real). 3. Wet, constantly sweaty feat: (hyper hydrosis) - think "icicles". 4. That giant algal bloom that will eat washington state like the blob. 5. The Cascadia "we're all gonna die" rift.

I have to WAIT and I DON'T WANT TO!!!!
Bill
Old 22-01-2018, 16:15   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Also, if you are reasonably strong, in 35-40ft size, a sloop rig with a decent furler and slab reefing is the simplest thing that works. Detacheable inner stay for a storm jib is useful, double head sails - not really. If I was half the size I am, I'd probably have a different opinion...
I agree.

Its not about LOA, its about good systems. I owned a Pearson 30 and had absolutely no trouble singlehanding because of a good furler, slab reefing main, and reliable autohelm. I also had a Hunter 35.5 which was even easier to singlehand because of the good furler, single line reefing main, and dutchman flaking system on the main.

Its not about size...its about good systems.

FWIW, I agree with you that 35-40 is a good size for your described purpose...that's what I'm looking for as well. I'm finding the criteria of LOA, shallow draft, and skeg supported rudder leave very few suitable models.

As a singlehander, I'm more concerned about staying out of trouble...not running aground, reducing sail early, and staying rested/fed. The right boat makes all the difference.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 19:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I agree.

Its not about LOA, its about good systems. I owned a Pearson 30 and had absolutely no trouble singlehanding because of a good furler, slab reefing main, and reliable autohelm. I also had a Hunter 35.5 which was even easier to singlehand because of the good furler, single line reefing main, and dutchman flaking system on the main.

FWIW, I agree with you that 35-40 is a good size for your described purpose...that's what I'm looking for as well. I'm finding the criteria of LOA, shallow draft, and skeg supported rudder leave very few suitable models.

As a singlehander, I'm more concerned about staying out of trouble...not running aground, reducing sail early, and staying rested/fed. The right boat makes all the difference.

You should know....
I opened a topic here "Run Aground," to see how real that worry was... virtually everyone ran aground in varying shades of grey... but damage severe enough to terminate their sailing adventure was simply absent. Not to say it doesn't happen (but think "charter boats"/ especially reefs that devour catamaran rudders, given there's no real keel to stop them). The few who hit really hard still walked away/ maybe a fiberglass patch later...
Almost everyone got stuck in soft stuff (and got back out) without anything bad happening at all. For folks like you and I that are already thinking about how to avoid such events, we probably will, since they seem to be ultra rare. And more likely the thing that gets you is nothing you could have forseen in the first place - like logs/ boats/ ??? or other stuff hidden under dark murky waters.

I've gained a good bit of security knowing what (realistic) worries are by asking questions on this forum... the newest addition is that I'm not crazy for thinking of single-handing a 40 footer ! On guard?? ALWAYS!

Bill
Old 22-01-2018, 20:06   #28

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

At sea they are all too small,in harbour they are all to big!!!!!!!!!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 20:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I agree.

The right boat? Boy do you have that category right. I've mentally progressed from full keeled boats to fin/ skeg boats, and have just started the hunt for bilge keelers... boy are they hard to find. Moody sailboats ?older? Models were bilge keelers, and the newer ones seem to be great liveaboards, though they're no longer bilge keelers. Southerly, another brand (my favorite) sadly, as a company, went under, and most folks keep them if they already have one.

I have a Chrysler 22' swing keel on lake Quachita, here in Arkansas, and it is an amazing lake boat... I would compare it to a shoal-draft Southerly, given I draw about 18 inches with the keel up... I routinely sail right up to the shore with zero issues.

If anyone wants to give away a 40' Southerly, just let me know. I would NOT however, sail an Allures.

Bill
Old 23-01-2018, 01:42   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
The only downside I have with a 40ft boat is docking. And that's solved by going slow, planning ahead and practice. The upside to living space and storage capacity is worth it

Lived aboard and single handed since 2001 and now 73 years old. 40' is about the biggest you would want to handle alone and with the amount of "stuff" we seem to need to live these days about the smallest one can get by from a room-to-live viewpoint.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote