Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 09:39   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Self Defense aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
What seems to work best?
Lots of research beforehand to see where the known dodgy anchorages are, the few really dodgy anchorages will be well known, as opposed to the ones where dinghies might go walkabout if you don't lift them at night.

Ashore don't have anything worth nicking seems to work, enough money for a few beers and no camera/phone/expensive sunglass etc.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:50   #17

Quote:
It seems clear that having a firearm aboard is a major no-no in most of the places I would like to visit. However, the prevalence of crime in some locations seems to call for some means of defense. I'm interested in anybody's experience using non-lethal measures such as tasers, high powered strobe lights, etc. What seems to work best?

Well, what sort of crimes are you referring to? One doesn't "defend" against petty theft; the best strategies are avoidance (try not to put yourself and your boat in risky situations) and deterrence (hide valuables, locks, motion-activated lights and alarms). Let someone else's boat be the easier target.

Speaking personally, there are so many reasonably safe places in the world to cruise that I wouldn't consider going where there was a significant risk of violent crime or harm to a person.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:43   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Another thing you have to consider is that in many countries, hurting someone, while defending yourself or your family, can be illegal and can put you in jail.
I'm pretty sure self defense is a universal right. Please give some pointers to countries where self defense is a crime that puts you in jail... I need to read up on those
Old 29-03-2019, 10:52   #19

Wasp spray without the fire component is pretty dehabilitating if you take a steady spread to the face.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:59   #20

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm pretty sure self defense is a universal right. Please give some pointers to countries where self defense is a crime that puts you in jail... I need to read up on those
I don’t know if this stuff is legit but here’s a start:

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-uk-is-illegal

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm
Old 29-03-2019, 11:07   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Yes they are crazy in the UK but self defense is still legal, even though the headlines suggest differently. When you read the articles, you see that it is about weapons use. You can still use your fists or grab the nearest object to defend yourself with. But you can't carry that same object around for self defense.

I think every law abiding family should be allowed to use any weapon to defend their home and family. In a state like Florida we can and most places we stay with the boat as well.
Old 29-03-2019, 11:19   #22

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Yes they are crazy in the UK but self defense is still legal, even though the headlines suggest differently. When you read the articles, you see that it is about weapons use. You can still use your fists or grab the nearest object to defend yourself with. But you can't carry that same object around for self defense.

I think every law abiding family should be allowed to use any weapon to defend their home and family. In a state like Florida we can and most places we stay with the boat as well.
Very true that weapons are out and fists are OK in GB.

As far as having an object handy you can be fined for that even if you don’t use it.

I read about this last week and the link to that story is what I was really looking for.

I’ll keep searching.
Old 29-03-2019, 11:28   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
It seems clear that having a firearm aboard is a major no-no in most of the places I would like to visit. However, the prevalence of crime in some locations seems to call for some means of defense. I'm interested in anybody's experience using non-lethal measures such as tasers, high powered strobe lights, etc. What seems to work best?
An excellent article on this subject penned by Gary ("Cap'n Fatty") Goodlander, a 50+year live aboard/world cruiser together with his wife, appeared in the "On Watch" column of the September 2014 Edition of Cruising World. I suspect that you can find it by going to the Cruising World web site. It will be worth your effort...

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 29-03-2019, 12:12   #24

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
thus far the most effective non-lethal measure has been my wife yelling at them "Hey get off our boat!!!"

when that doesn't work a 4' short spear, of a Jedi lightsaber works well

[emoji23]

Cracked my wife up as well
Old 29-03-2019, 12:29   #25

Quote:
I'm pretty sure self defense is a universal right.

Oh it is. Emphasis on self. If, on the other hand you injure or kill a kid who was trying to steal your dinghy... that's not self defense.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:08   #26

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Anybody living in Toronto in the early 90s will remember the old guy, defending himself against two armed hooligans who broke into his apartment and tried to force him to tell them where he hid his cash. He bludgeoned one with a fish bowl, and knocked him silly. His brave cohort ran away, if my memory serves... Anyway, the old guy got charged with use of excessive force (don't even get me started. ..), until the public uproar, thanks to a newspaper article, got them to reconsider their asinine actions. They eventually dropped the charges.

So, yes, self defence is legal in Canada, but only by measure. A fist for a fist, knife for a knife, and a fishbowl as a weapon must equal a gun of sorts.

If you're attacked on board, not petty theft, but boarded with a weapon with an intent to harm, be sure to feed the sharks.

We went through an intended boarding on the way to Trinidad, and 20 miles out, three guys in a longboat. We Bluffed and blustered our way out of it by keeping my hands low and out of sight behind the privacy cloth on the lifelines. They tried to get us on deck, then circled, trying to get a look in the cockpit. They finally left, and I swore that I'd never have to bluff again.

Make your own conclusions... Like Jedi said, avoid the disreputable places, and carry a surprise with you. It's a shame, but there are bad folks everywhere, and you're on your own out there.

Cheers, and let the chastising begin.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Wasp spray and a lighter might be more effective.
Wasp spray and a lighter WOULD be more effective. The notion that wasp spray is effective for self defense is nothing but a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Wasp spray without the fire component is pretty dehabilitating if you take a steady spread to the face.
Have you ever taken a spray in the face? I have. It was unpleasant, but not at all debilitating. Had I been intent on attacking the person who sprayed me (I wasn't, it was an accident) it would not have slowed me down by even the least little bit.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:45   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't expect you'll find many who have actually experienced using any means of self defense.

Well, Sir, you are in luck!

The first and most important is observing your environment. Know what a shady place looks like, and stay away. Know how to read people who may intend you harm.

Situational awareness- look at what's going on around you, not the mango at the market. Watch people, traffic, etc. around you, not the sidewalk. Know how pickpockets operate, and how thugs work in threes.

Don't make yourself a target. You already look different. Don't ask for more trouble. This has been said a million times. No wallet, no purse, and never flash cash. Don't be the one with the brand new 15hp outboard. If the locals always wear pants (not shorts) then you wear pants, no matter how hot it is. Blend in, as best as possible.

Skip guns, and tasers and all that crap. If you want a weapon, ask: what will happen if it's taken from me? Yes, I can take it from you. A rolled up magazine makes one heck of a good club, enough to ward off some thugs. Lit cigars, perfume, beer bottles, pencils make good last-ditch weapons.

On board, know how to secure your boat, both stuff outside, and against intrusion. There is loads of info on this. I particularly like the million thumbtack and busted lightbulb on deck idea, though I've never tried it. Airhorn- ever been a meter in front of an airhorn? Better than mace.

I found that in Mexico DF if I wander side to side and say "Tango un sabato rojo" or "Yo quiero escarabajo grande" it tends to keep...well..everyone at a distance.

Probably the best thing you can do is get a reputable guide, they will bend over backwards to ensure your safety.
Old 29-03-2019, 14:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Anybody living in Toronto in the early 90s will remember the old guy, defending himself against two armed hooligans who broke into his apartment and tried to force him to tell them where he hid his cash. He bludgeoned one with a fish bowl, and knocked him silly. His brave cohort ran away, if my memory serves...

I was in Toronto from the late 80s and nope, my memory isn't serving... I don't remember that. Also, if a fishbowl can beat a gun... someone get me the make and model of that fishbowl.

I do remember a store owner on Spadina who got into hot water for chasing down and tying up a repeat shoplifter... but I believe a public uproar got him off as well.
Old 29-03-2019, 14:45   #30

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
No it is not.
Closed Thread