Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2007, 10:46   #46

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Many thanks for this thread. Looking to go Mahe 36 Cat and this gives me the list to check her out for 'living with'.
Southampton boat Show 2007 had a 4.5kw diesel generator at 1500 which means DOMESTIC cooking and washing machine and so on. AND NO GAS so no burning boats. One fuel. Add plastic gerry cans for water, your diesel tanks should be OK if your don't motor.
I plan to add decent battery pack and convertor for day duties with solar panel mounted on the dinghy with flying lead to provide more than top-up.
Dinghy will be electric with at least 3 mile battery bolted in (and backed up with sails for blue cruising as this is also the 'abandon ship' ship that will get us home from a passage with water, maker, tinned food etc. Solar panels keep GPS and lots of light weight useful stuff working to get to safety while still alive.
OK it's a heavy set up but I'm cruising with the intention of getting there. Rainwater collection to grey tank backed up by stored water maker and max 3 on board it's a sound compromise with comfort.
I'd forget the bimini completely but I'm English, I like to see some sun. Side screens to the cockpit seriously extend out door hours and cockpit comfort. The helm is for extreme weather use only, make it comfortable because it could be a long shift if the crew go sick. Last man standing is the skipper, isn't she!
Foul weather I'd aim to be 60 to 120 off the true wind, daggers up, minimum sail for six knots and turning parallel to wave crests that look serious. All hands awake and in the cockpit if a tack/gybe becomes necessary when it's really serious. Oceans get serious. How did you get that wrong anyway, bad wind shift toward a lee shore?
If it's a CAT add carpets. If they get wet twice you've got the wrong CAT.
HANDHOLDS. Many and coach roof in particular MUST never leave you without a hand hold especially at the transitions in level such as into cockpit. In serious weather you can hook onto it too for those two handed jobs. Kids and landlubbers will also appreciate them.
Has anyone done a special rig on the MAHE 36?

Old 19-11-2008, 18:35   #47
VTX

Stede, Not hijacking you, but

I'm looking into the same thing, an you have had a ton of feed back. But Fof now just one question. I'm looking at a 30 Catalina, any feed back on this boat. Thanks Smitt

Old 19-11-2008, 21:18   #48

Another place? Another thread?

VTX: you may want to start your own thread, and you may want to make more clear what feedback you're interested in receiving. Your best bet is to say how many people you plan to have aboard, where you plan to be located, and what kind of use the boat will see.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:48   #49

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
pirate Re: Selecting the ideal live aboard monohull sailboat

Hello to all my old friends! Especially GordMay. I hope you are doing well? Well here I am once again, many moons later contemplating a shift in lifestyle gears.I've sold my house, and we are set to close on it Aug.17.Yay!!! I've not been sleeping too easy though.I toss and turn some nights trying to decide what to do next.With the money I'll get from my house, I have a couple of choices.I'll refer to them as "options." (Option # 1) I can probably buy a "short sale, or foreclosed" on house here in the beautiful mountains of Western NC, and live here part of the year, then station my very seaworthy 26 footer "Favorite Sport" somewhere south to sail and hang out during the winter months. (Option # 2) Sell everything I have, take the money from doing so and compile it with monies from the sell of my home. Buy a bigger boat in the 34-38 foot range and live aboard while cruising and picking up occasional work.In another year I'll be able to start collecting a pension from a previous employer to help supplement the cruising Kitty. I could cruise until I possibly would get tired of it, then sell the boat and move back into something on shore. I should throw in here that I have a fiancee that is willing to go with either option.....or at least she say's she is. Maybe she's as crazy as me? ha!ha! Hopefully some of you all like GordMay that had to make similar decisions could share your thoughts and ideas on the subject. Thanks!

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 10:55   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Selecting the Ideal Liveaboard Monohull Sailboat

Stede, Looking back at your eight years of planning and advice shows an admirable tenacity. There are many good outcomes among your options and no single "right" choice.
Old 21-07-2011, 12:43   #51

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Re: Selecting the Ideal Liveaboard Monohull Sailboat

CaptForce,

Thanks for your comments.Of course you're right.But some times it's hard to "see the forest for the trees." Today I made an offer on a Cal 35.Maybe on the morrow I'll see you on the seas.

Stede

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: