Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 10:46   #1

Seeking Feedback on Gozzard 31

We are considering purchasing our first boat - a 1993 Gozzard, 31 Cutter - with the intention of spending 2-3 years living aboard/cruising the Caribbean.

Our main concern with this boat is the split binini / barney pole configuration in the cockpit and exposure to sun / weather.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, feedback they can offer??

Any advice is welcome!!
Beach_Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 12:13   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: seeking feedback on Gozzard 31

Other than they are well-built, not fast, get-you-home ocean-grade boats, no, can't comment on the bimini.

Because they have a big fan base, I suspect there's a Gozzard Owner's Group forum somewhere. Google should reveal all.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 12:19   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I've never been on one, but my concern would be lack of ventilation in the cabin. I have a hunch the boat was built for colder climes, negating the need for massive airflow through the master berth.
Keep in mind my concern only comes from looking at layouts and pictures.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 14:12   #4

Boat: gozzard 44
Re: Seeking Feedback on Gozzard 31

Having owned 2 Gozzards I can offer some advice.

Unfortunately , there is no owners' group although a recent owner is talking of starting one.
The forward end of the boat is dual purpose - saloon/berth. The v-settee swings together to form a berth. A large overhead hatch provides plenty of ventilation in warm climes.

The main's sheet provides a strong attachment point at the cockpit pod. The fly which fills between dodger and bimini can be unzipped in part or completely.

Good luck in your search,

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 14:26   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

Good friends of ours purchased one this past spring....solid, comfortable, BIG for a 31. Sailed on Lake Erie, pretty boat. If you would like their e-mail addy, pm me and I will send it to you.

I have been through the Gozzard factory...Mike and Liz are awesome people, if you are having a survey done on your prospective purchase, I would suggest you have Mike do it...you won't get a more intense or extensive survey. He knows his Gozzards, and having him do the survey would be worth every penny. You can contact him through their website. The dodger/bimini set up is great, no issues, very well thought out. The cockpit holds a TON of people comfortably, the layout down below is sweet!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 14:49   #6

Boat: gozzard 44

To add to Gunk...

Gozzard is doing a lot of boat renovations. Like many small family boatbuilders these days owners send their Gozzards to the factory for updating for a fraction of the cost of a new boat.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:09   #7

Boat: Stevens 47

You're absolutely correct Ronbol....a lot of refits! And their work is a standard that many should uphold.....awesome work! If I remember correctly when we were there in September, he had 5 Gozzards lined up for some form or other of re-fitting over the winter months. I can't stress enough the quality of their work. Gozzard owners must sleep really well at night knowing that any issues that they may run into with their vessels, is easily troubleshot and rectified with just a phone call to Mike. If anyone is seriously considering a Gozzard, you have to meet Mike and Liz, or at least a phone call to introduce yourself. Mike knows every boat that has left the factory...he is truly a gentleman and a book of knowledge.

No, I'm not related or affiliated in any way with Gozzard....but we are currently shopping for one.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:51   #8

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach_Toes View Post
We are considering purchasing our first boat - a 1993 Gozzard, 31 Cutter - with the intention of spending 2-3 years living aboard/cruising the Caribbean.

Our main concern with this boat is the split binini / barney pole configuration in the cockpit and exposure to sun / weather.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, feedback they can offer??

Any advice is welcome!!
Hi Beach Toes, we own a Gozzard 31, can you give more details about the boat your looking at? Ours has a hardtop enclosure which may make our experience irrelevant.

Shawn
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 18:28   #9

Boat: C&C 25

Strangely enough, we are looking at a 92 Gozzard 31 for Caribbean use. One couple one dog.. We have been looking at many sailboats and frankly this boat seems to have it all, great lines, shoal draft, large interior with good sleeping area, well ventilated, strong and forgiving sailboat , nice transom that opens which makes dinghy boarding a breeze especially with an 80 lb golden that is exuberant.

Engine access seems great. however I have never been on one, have no idea how she sails how she feels on an extended stay .

any insight is , will be helpful..\\

Thanks
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote