Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2010, 04:44   #31

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Stuff only gets stolen in the USA, so far. Almost never lock the boat. If it is locked the combo is written on the lock so they don't need to crowbar the hatchboards off. Don't take anything on a boat you can't afford to loose. Try to get a slip next to a fellow yachtie.
The best advice yet. If they want "in" they will break in. The damage repair is likely to be more expensive than anything they can steal. When we lock our hatches we only lock one (of two) handles -- that way if they force one we still will still have one that operates. All the other advice about locking dinghies etc. is good -- that makes the "crime of convenience" more likely to happen to the other guy. And definitely it is great advice to hire someone to watch the boat.

One thing nobody mentioned is to make things unattractive by defacing them or painting in unique ways. Easy to do with outboards and dinghies or even electronics. Thieves don't want ugly stuff or stuff that's easy to identify with a crime.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 13:57   #32

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
That's really good advice - you're right. As a software developer, I make backups every day and have never lost more than a day's work in the last 15+ years. But...losing or replacing a laptop would take 2 weeks of work to restore all of my paid apps, settings, passwords, configurations, etc. Then there would be the hassle and expense of having to buy or move licenses of software. It's a nightmare. I absolutely love getting a shiny new computer. But I hate it too.
Have you thought about Acronis True Image? and Universal restore (deploy). I've used these two products many times over the years and it allows me to be back up in less than an hour with all my SW and data ready to go (from time of last image file). universal restore "might" allow you to put your saved image on a nw laptop also.

As far as backups..definately keep a hardware second..but consider..depending on your size and free or low cost online backup. You can even use Google GMail to store files (7 gigs). Either way you do it...compress/archive your data with encryption then upload!
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 23:10   #33

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Have you thought about Acronis True Image? and Universal restore (deploy).
I have a couple of thoughts on computer security.
1. Set up a server/vpn with a computer onshore (at my brothers house).
This contains all your files, only the operating system (Linux) on board.

2. Only need a cheap $350 notebook or cheap, second hand laptop, running some Linux flavor (Ubuntu or Fedora) with wine to run some windows apps. (Linux has an Office suite that is compatible with Windows Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). You could use Windows but if you lose the laptop you may have to buy Windows again. Ubuntu is FREE.

3. Auto backup of the server every night to Mozy or Carbonite

Advantages:
Auto back up of all changed files every night.
Only the cheap notebook or laptop on board, no sensitive files. (Make sure you have to sign in every time, no auto log on)

Disadvantages:
No monster games
Some software hassles (You might need an app that can't run in wine, I don't even need wine.)

Someone asked about a OS on a stick, I have that with Ubuntu 10.04 complete on a 4 gig pen drive, with persistence. In effect I can take my OS and all my files with me in a pen drive on my key chain when leaving the boat. And pen drives are getting bigger every day.

For general computer use, which is what 99% of us do, all you need is Linux on a 4 to 8 gig stick.
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 10:22   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don- "You could use Windows but if you lose the laptop you may have to buy Windows again." If the computer you are replacing already had Windows loaded on it? odds are the replacement will also come with 'free' Windows loaded on it, so that's not a consideration. You can buy 'em both bare, you can buy 'em both with Windows preloaded, the cost may actually be less for the one with Windows on it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 12:39   #35

Actually, I go to computer repair shops and buy old laptops that can't handle windows any more (Even XP-SP2 will require too many resources for 3-5 year old laptops. I take these machines, load Linux and have all the computing power I need. It's fast and reliable.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:22   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by betachz View Post
. . . One of our issues revolves around our ability to leave the boat, head home to see family and friends once or twice a year. Also there are just those times when you might want to get away and go ashore for extended periods. . .
What do you do with important documents, computers, valuables, etc...
Beta.
- - Paring down to the OP's questions -
If you leave the boat for trips back home you need to either put it in a secure boatyard or a marina with reputable security. Also you need to strip the decks of anything remotely valuable. And now most recently, you need to strip the insides of anything removable and valuable. Additionally you need to design and build a thick bars and pin system to secure the hatches and prevent access via the companionway or Cat's sliding doors. A simple hasp and padlock slows a thief from getting inside the boat by approximately 5 seconds.
- - For a few days away the hatch and companionway/main access bars system along with putting really valuable stuff that is inside the boat into "hiddey holes". These you build into the furniture of the boat by looking for inside areas where there is "dead space" due to the curved hull shape versus the rectangular shape of inside furniture/lockers/cabinets.
- - For computers, portable equipment, etc. the "hiddey holes" are where you store stuff that you do not take with you. If you do not have a secure bar and pin system for the hatches and accessways, you can expect that the boat will be ransacked sooner than later these days. If there is nothing visible or easily and quickly accessible in drawers, lockers, etc. the thief will leave and try another boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 22:35   #37

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
A lot of people will find it hard to follow this advice, due to lifelong conditioning of our society, but a very useful technique is "scruffication". Make it all look pretty ratshit and the light fingered gentry will go somewhere else. Particularly with outboards and dinghys. Under the faded paint , everything can be A1.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:14   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I was also of the opinion that thieves had at least a little modicum of good taste and went after the new or nice looking boats and outboards. And it seemed to be the case for most of the last decade - and then, the big crunch hit and an awful lot of people lost jobs especially in the low end service markets. Boats numbers coming down island decreased. Now the thieves are "equal-opportunity" and significantly increased in numbers.
- - Here in Trinidad we have had more than a dozen break-ins and motor thefts in the last month alone. In Grenada it is not much better with just under a dozen break-ins and dinghy motor thefts. Then there is St. Martin and reports from all the other islands. And in at least half of the reported incidents the motors were quite old and decrepit looking. The stored boat break-ins have been very democratically spread through the spectrum of nice looking boats and scruffy looking boats.
- - I suspect on land you will find a similar pattern as people lose benefits and must still eat. So now it is - more than ever - incumbent upon the individual cruising boater to beef up his defenses and make their boats and dinghies too much trouble to access. I suggested only a few methods, I am sure others can come up with practical and effective ways to defend your possessions.
- - Thieves tend to be lazy, so if you make them work for loot they will probably go "next door" to the boat that is quite lax about security. For those with insurance, the companies are getting a little nit-pickly about paying off as the claims start to rise. I have several friends whose insurance companies have balked and used "fine print" to deny the claims. And some boaters carry "high-deductibles" especially during the hurricane season and dinghy/motor theft costs fall inside the deductible.
- - The thieves are now well equipped with massive bolt cutters and pry bars as standard thief equipment, so we need to raise our defenses to the "next level."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - The thieves are now well equipped with massive bolt cutters and pry bars as standard thief equipment, so we need to raise our defenses to the "next level."
A PIR sensor in the cockpit tied to a FUGGIN loud siren..tied to a pay-as-you-go cellphone set-up to dial your cell or text your cell. hell, you could even set-up an old laptop to txt your cell.

If that does not work a shape charge pointed at the PIR detection zone. Post signs on the back of th eboat and then blast them thieven suckers. Sympothy is in the dictionary between chit & syphilis.

That's just MY opinion though. take back our waters...simple justice.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:01   #40

Quote:

If that does not work a shape charge pointed at the PIR detection zone. Post signs on the back of th eboat and then blast them thieven suckers. Sympothy is in the dictionary between chit & syphilis.
...simple justice.
I agree, but just as a disclaimer, that can get you a lot of jail time.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:03   #41

Theirs gotta be a body and witnesses. I would think most boaters in teh "general" vicinity would appreciate a good samaritian keep his/her property safe...along with theirs.

Not to mention the fishy's would love me
Old 21-07-2010, 07:08   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
........ Sympothy is in the dictionary between chit & syphilis.........
FYI,- I checked and it turns out that "Sympothy" isn't in the dictionary!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:09   #43

Damn...someones always a critic...sympathy <G>
But you knew that of course
Old 15-08-2010, 18:07   #44

"Danger dedans le mer"

Quote:
A PIR sensor in the cockpit tied to a FUGGIN loud siren..tied to a pay-as-you-go cellphone set-up to dial your cell or text your cell. hell, you could even set-up an old laptop to txt your cell.

That's just MY opinion though. take back our waters...simple justice.
I've got a couple empty wine bottles
F.N Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:53   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
A lot of people will find it hard to follow this advice, due to lifelong conditioning of our society, but a very useful technique is "scruffication". Make it all look pretty ratshit and the light fingered gentry will go somewhere else. Particularly with outboards and dinghys. Under the faded paint , everything can be A1.
Regards, Richard.

i have been an advocate of this mode of repellant...shiny attracts rats......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security