Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2010, 08:55   #91

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
SvenG,

I can see you have not replied to my previous reply of your post. So I see no reason to reply to this one.

Old 13-10-2010, 09:02   #92

Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I can see you have not replied to my previous reply of your post. So I see no reason to reply to this one.
Other than correcting "your" versus "you're" I'm not sure what reply you were awaiting ? You didn't ask any question as far as I could parse your post ?

-Sven

Old 13-10-2010, 09:11   #93

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Before I go I am not saying you are not allowed to restrain the person even in some jujitsu submission lock that might have the inadvertent effect of inflicting extreme pain. .
No, I just meant that Sweden is a relatively safe country to catch a thief in the act.. You don´t really risk getting shot if you wake up with a prowler in your house/boat/caravan..
So here you can kick their butts on a "fair basis".. noone has or uses a firearm.

I share custody of a 35kg dog though. Had him on the boat for a couple of weeks this summer and left him in the cabin when I went over to a boat that was moored nearby. Then, another friend of mine went to my boat, believing I was onboard. He got into the cockpit and doggy started to bark like hell, oc he left in an instant.... Funny thing tho, is that if it would have been a thief, the dog (being a flatcoated retriever) would probably have politely asked if he needed any help carrying the stuff..
Old 13-10-2010, 09:13   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Fin gädda !

-Sven
Old 13-10-2010, 09:16   #95

Haha om du menar avataren så är det en gös You swedish Sven?

/Sorry guys. Just replied to Svens compliment on the pike.. which is a zander. If he referred to the avatar
Old 13-10-2010, 09:30   #96

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Negative, Sir!

My way is NOT to go to the places where thieves abound...,,,
There are dozens if not hundreds of destinations where theft is next to non-existent. Why then go to the troubled spots?

barnie
Bit off topic, but the second thing that comes out of most people’s mouths when I mention cruising is pirates (the first being the cost of owning a boat and the close third the typical “are you allowed to moor or anchor there”?). Pirates in a way are the ultimate thieves? Not only do most tale everything you own, but a lot even want you for the ransom. My answer to the well worn question is that I will probably be avoiding the African Coast around Somalia and checking official websites and cruising forums to find out where else I should stay clear; that simple.

You never know when a thief is going to strike. Obviously though, some places have a bad reputation where as stated other spots can be virtually crime free? It is a pity there is not another thread about where to avoid? I know one British yachting publication’s forum has a section specifically devoted to stolen and lost gear. (Noting the crime free spots might be better left a secret while they still are crime free?)
Old 13-10-2010, 09:30   #97

Quote:
Haha om du menar avataren så är det en gös You swedish Sven?
Yes, and sailing back home either going East or West after a circum-Pacific tour. That's why this thread is of interest to me. I'd rather prevent theft on the way home than find a way to get disproportionate revenge when it is too late.

Still a nice fish

-Sven
Old 13-10-2010, 09:42   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Yes, and sailing back home either going East or West after a circum-Pacific tour. That's why this thread is of interest to me. I'd rather prevent theft on the way home than find a way to get disproportionate revenge when it is too late.

Still a nice fish
-Sven
Haha, yep. Better safe (with the stuff) than sorry (behind bars)

When do you expect to get back? And where is home? (or used to be home rather)
Sailing single handed?

And ty re the fish
Old 13-10-2010, 10:01   #99

Quote:
You don´t really risk getting shot if you wake up with a prowler in your house/boat/caravan..
So here you can kick their butts on a "fair basis".. noone has or uses a firearm..
Very similar over here although you never know when your luck might run out. It’s like if you even win a fight you never know if the other guy is going to get a few good ones in? Nevertheless, some professional criminals won’t carry a weapon or act in company knowing this can result in aggravated charges and a longer gaol term. I really can’t see why someone prowling for a free outboard or new depth sounder would ever go to the extent of carrying an illegal firearm or weapon. Still you just never know?

Funniest similar thing that ever happened to me was sleeping with a girlfriend in the back of a van in a bad Sydney suburb after a party. These pro’s pulled up – four big burly blokes - and were about to knock my car off when they realised we were in the back. In a flash their conversation went from them ditching my roof racks to chuckling about busting a couple shagging. The girl (psycho nut ex) I was with was telling me to grab a spear gun or knife and confront them. My response was like are you mad; while they are amused just let them go. I kinda thought the whole thing was a bit comical. It was nice to turn a potentially disastrous situation into a laugh.

The "fair basis" is exactly what I was saying about the laws over here concerning protecting property. It’s not that you can’t do it and you don’t have rights; more like you have to be sensible and even know when to call it a day?
Old 13-10-2010, 14:50   #100

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Before I go I am not saying you are not allowed to restrain the person even in some jujitsu submission lock that might have the inadvertent effect of inflicting extreme pain. (Bit like the old joke about them falling down the stairs or jumping headfirst into the wharf, but let’s not go there!).

You just have to be sensible about these things! Like a fellow who is now a Court Prosecutor told me back when he was a Barrister; all is usually good till he had to explain why his client needed to get in the couple of extra kicks to the guy’s head while he was lying comatose on the concrete.

I note, this is definitely NOT legal advice and proceed at your own discretion after having personally researched the area of laws mentioned in this thread.
Hey Mate, Hows it all going?

My view is that if it looks tougher to get into then they might go next door to one that looks easier!

However, if they wanna get in, they will.

If you are living on board, and they still wanna come on board, well thats not gunna be good.

We usually dont lock up unless we are off for a while or our 'radar' is going off. Anyway, we have a really mean cat which has scared visitors! She is at my feet right now asking for more food. (I'm gonna give it to her!)
Old 13-10-2010, 18:57   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hey Mate, Hows it all going?

My view is that if it looks tougher to get into then they might go next door to one that looks easier! ...,,,, However, if they wanna get in, they will.
Suns out, nice little ground swell for a quick surf. Hopefully the water colour is going to clear up so I can go check a lobster hole and maybe even get fish for dinner. Have to pay the rent, but at least that gives me somewhere to relax back before I make any rushed decisions. Life could be worse?

Re: However, if they wanna get in, they will

I totally agree. I am tossing up at the moment whether to get a mooring in a fairly secluded location closer to home. From the people I have spoken to the place does not have a bad reputation for break-ins. In contrast, break-ins are fairly common on the lake where I now have my boat. I just don’t leave anything irreplaceable or uninsured on board.

To date I have not had any real problems. If anything it has been exactly the opposite and there has usually been someone nearby willing to keep an eye on things.

I have got a little dog who will only ever bark when things are wrong. Just would not be fair to leave him on the boat alone anymore than overnight or a day?
Old 14-10-2010, 05:54   #102

Boat: Peterson 46
Hey Shane, here is our sailing cat.

Once was cute
and a few years later, turned into .... Intruders are going to be shredded!!
Old 14-10-2010, 06:01   #103

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
I would assume there are laws that if your cat does bodily harm to any individuals you could be sued also.

BTW, nice cat
Old 14-10-2010, 06:58   #104

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Theft is never fun, but there is no way I would ever want to cause someone harm just to protect my "stuff". We keep the boat locked up and keep the topsides clear. While this works while we are in the States in a Marina, I'm savy enough to realize that when in unsecured areas theft could happen. We'll try to mitigate possible losses by not buying the latest and greatest dinghy. Cheap and cheerful works and if bad luck befalls us, it won't be overly dear to replace.

I'm also trying to convince the husband that we should let the 10 year old go to town with paint thinking that a thief would be less likely to lift a dinghy and small motor which is painted pink with daisies. The husband remains unconvinced at this point...

Still debating the usefullness of a safe onboard for papers, cash, laptops and phones.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 07:09   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
To much thread drift from "how to secure your boat while away." Simply put boat preparation should include - just like land houses these days - steel bars and burglar proof locking systems on hatches and companionway.
- - Last time I was in Amsterdam, I walked down the city marina by the train station and marveled at the heavy stainless steel "cages" bolted over hatches and companionways of the boats. Thinking it might be a major theft area, I asked somebody in the marina about the steel cages to which they replied, theft is not the problem, squatters will gain entrance to your boat and trying to get them legally out of the boat is a nightmare due to local laws.
- - So for storage, be it floating in a marina, seawall, or boatyard you need to do more to make your boat a fortress that cannot be easily entered. And of course, strip the decks of anything easily removed like outboard motors, clamp on GPS's and other "pawn-able" items.
- - Rusky - I like the attack cat idea, is it the same idea as Jimmy Carter's Attack Rabbit a few years back? But seriously, dogs onboard are a growing technique to both alert you and discourage boarders. The "wild-ness" of an animal who cannot read the law books really makes the potential thief think twice and go to a different, easier boat.

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: