Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 18:21   #391
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Kick the visitors off at 0600.. put the booze away and go to bed...
Pro-active is best I've found...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-06-2013, 18:23   #392

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

If you shouldn't just slightly shock the perp with your lifelines, how come it's OK to blast him with a 12ga?
Old 21-06-2013, 18:43   #393
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you shouldn't just slightly shock the perp with your lifelines, how come it's OK to blast him with a 12ga?

The gauge is under your control, you decide when or if to pull the trigger. The wire is a man trap you have no control over once set, it could affect all sorts of circumstances without any input from you. Foolish.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 22-06-2013, 06:09   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The gauge is under your control, you decide when or if to pull the trigger.
^^ THIS! ^^ It's called "Gun Control."
-Bruce

Old 22-06-2013, 06:32   #395

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

But the other guy has an Uzi.........

Dave
That is why you always keep one in the chamber. You want the first "gun" noise they hear to be the boom. An Uzi is only effective if you can draw a bead and pull the trigger, I would take a 12 gauge with a round chambered any day of the week in a defensive situation.
Old 22-06-2013, 08:22   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But the other guy has an Uzi.........

Dave
There is a reason nobody issues Uzi's anymore, even the Israelis. I'd rather have the twelve gauge.
Old 22-06-2013, 08:28   #397

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I had some jerk steal a stainless prop off my outboard a few years ago, I was going to go out sailing that day as well =(
Old 22-06-2013, 08:31   #398
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise View Post
I had some jerk steal a stainless prop off my outboard a few years ago, I was going to go out sailing that day as well =(
Sorry to hear that

If only it could have been connected to some sort of device that made it spin at high RPM's..........
Old 22-06-2013, 08:33   #399

Boat: Currently dreaming big

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sorry to hear that

If only it could have been connected to some sort of device that made it spin at high RPM's..........

I like your style
Old 23-06-2013, 01:51   #400

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Goddamnit. Why can't I be an Americannnnn? Shoot ****. Shoot more ****. Goddamnit, Americannnnn rights are to shoot ****, and lets just shoot ****.

You blokes in the US of A are so completely over the top. You have no idea how insane your gun totin rot sounds to sane people. The best thing that could ever happen is to disarm the Us of goddamn A. Guns, guns guns - and shootin ****. Chill out a bit man. Sailing ain't about shooting ****.

Find a laid back anchorage, lock up a bit and if you lose the odd bit of gear occasionally - so what? A bloody foghorn can achieve as much as a shotgun for lords sake.
Old 23-06-2013, 05:04   #401

Boat: Bayliner 3988 MY

Tony, To put this all in perspective you must remember that the post is in the Liveaboard section.
My boat is my HOME and, as such, I will defend it from any intruder.
I am not going to attack someone nicking my barbeque from the back yard. Or the back deck in my case.
But, if someone, after being given fair warning, insists on breaking into my HOME while I am onboard I am not going to endanger my family trying to analyse their objectives.
If they get a door or window opened, knowing that I am present and armed they do so at their own peril.
As a younger man I was shot twice in an armed robbery.

I will not allow it to happen a second time.

Besides, I am Canadian but both the US and Canadian Law specifically allow the use of deadly force to defend your home and family.

On a boat, running away is usually not much of an option.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:04   #402

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

It always amazes me how many people will "Defend" their homes or in this case their "Boats" with guns against intruders.

Funny how little you read about people shooting armed intruders anywhere in the USA or on the high seas.

I guess the NRA isn't paying their PR guys enough, or maybe there just aren't that many bad guys breaking into occupied houses and boats?

Old 23-06-2013, 06:05   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysail1 View Post
Goddamnit. Why can't I be an Americannnnn? Shoot ****. Shoot more ****. Goddamnit, Americannnnn rights are to shoot ****, and lets just shoot ****.

You blokes in the US of A are so completely over the top. You have no idea how insane your gun totin rot sounds to sane people. The best thing that could ever happen is to disarm the Us of goddamn A. Guns, guns guns - and shootin ****. Chill out a bit man. Sailing ain't about shooting ****.

Find a laid back anchorage, lock up a bit and if you lose the odd bit of gear occasionally - so what? A bloody foghorn can achieve as much as a shotgun for lords sake.
If you had only thought of that in 1775.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:16   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysail1 View Post

First, Step away from the bottle.
Second, And what gives you the right to tell us what we should, and shouldn't do?
Third, I have met a "LOT" of people from The UK, Canada, and Australia, and the first thing they ask is where can they go to shoot a gun.
Fourth, when somebody breaks through the door with the obvious intent to kill you, go ahead and pick up your foghorn and see how well that works for ya. Me, I prefer a Mossberg pump in 12 gauge.
-Bruce

Old 23-06-2013, 06:19   #405

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason
It always amazes me how many people will "Defend" their homes or in this case their "Boats" with guns against intruders.

Funny how little you read about people shooting armed intruders anywhere in the USA or on the high seas.

I guess the NRA isn't paying their PR guys enough, or maybe there just aren't that many bad guys breaking into occupied houses and boats?
Little crime is one reason, but when it does happen the media might give it a small blurb on the local channel.
Good news doesn't sell advertising. So headlines like " Mother protect children and self from known rapist." Gets changed to " suspected burglar shot in the incident." Then the story is dropped.
Mark Twain said " if you do not read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
He used to be a journalist.

Tags
security